• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

K98 Upgrades

And apparently two G41(w) with ZF-4 Scopes fitted exist in the real world, but the game will enable us to unlock it.

Considering the Germans made like two of them, the fact that they are in the game is ludicrous - it's way more likely that silenced M1895 and scoped MkB42(h) were in Stalingrad than the Gewehr 41 (w) with ZF-4 was to even be used in the war.

Edit: here is some pics of the G41 with improved scope mount + sight (I can't tell the scope model..)

If you can't see the picture of it with a scope, here is a direct link.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8109/g41scope.jpg

g41scope.jpg

g41rail.jpg

I even have my doubts that a Zf-4 version of the G41 even existed. sniper rifles are HEAVILY faked, and I have never encountered one before or have seen one posted on collector boards i lurk. To be honest, I wouldn't put it past a collector to try to trump up an already valuable G41 by saying it's now a "hyper rare" sniper variant. and personally, I don't like how minty the rifle looks, combined with that looks like it might be bluing wear on the scope and mounts. What also does not make sense is the scope itself. It's a Zf-4 which AFAIK is a later war scope, mounted on a gun that had limited use earlier in the war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I have reached level 25 with the K98 and received the winter trigger guard (already have bayonet, which I use surprisingly often). What does the winter trigger guard do? What does it look like?

Also, it says the next upgrade is also at level 25 for some odd reason. It is called "remove sight hood". What do you think that does?

I'm not sure why removing the sight hood is considered an upgrade. Sight hoods were not present on K98s manufactured prior to 1940. I have two K98s that reflect this, a 1936 K98 without a sight hood and a 1941 that has the sight hood.

I always thought it'd be cool if some of the K98s in RO simply did not have sight hoods. Maybe it's kind of trivial, but a lot of them really didn't have the sight hoods.

Upvote 0
It is cool that there are things like the winter trigger, and the removal of the sight hood. Yet since they are cosmetic (the lack of sight hood less so) I don't see the point in them TBH. It would be even neater if they actually did something or were tied specifically to certain maps, on any map with snow you would want the winter trigger etc etc.

Removal of the sight hood might be considered an upgrade because it would give you a very isty bitsy slightly less obstructed view of your target when aiming down the sights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is cool that there are things like the winter trigger, and the removal of the sight hood. Yet since they are cosmetic (the lack of sight hood less so) I don't see the point in them TBH. It would be even neater if they actually did something or were tied specifically to certain maps, on any map with snow you would want the winter trigger etc etc.

I'm happy that some of the unlocks are just cosmetic. My ability over another player should be determined by my skill, not by what toys I have on my gun that I manged to get before my foe did.

Upvote 0
I'm happy that some of the unlocks are just cosmetic. My ability over another player should be determined by my skill, not by what toys I have on my gun that I manged to get before my foe did.

I completely agree with you, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the unlocks aren't purely cosmetic. This is why I've taken issue with the unlock system and skill pregression in general.

Upvote 0
Ah thanks I was wondering that. Its kinda lame cause EVERYONE is running around with bayonets and it just looks dumb. I liked in ro1, how you could detatch it, so it wasn't just bayonet battles indoors.

Maybe when you select role, in the right menu there is a list of weapons you can choose with this role. I suposse that if you unblock sniper Gewerh you still could choose the normal one. At least its the logical option...

Upvote 0
...but the winter trigger guard should just be an bigger guard so a gloved finger ill fit in easiely

And so why does this matter in a game? Without it i cant wear gloves so my character will get frostbite halfway through the match?

You know, when someone at TWI mentioned that they should have a trigger guard upgrade for the K98, that was about the time someone over there should have said;

"Look guys, it's obvious this unlock system is not gonna work as its apparent that we really cant think of anything."

Upvote 0
I even have my doubts that a Zf-4 version of the G41 even existed. sniper rifles are HEAVILY faked, and I have never encountered one before or have seen one posted on collector boards i lurk. To be honest, I wouldn't put it past a collector to try to trump up an already valuable G41 by saying it's now a "hyper rare" sniper variant. and personally, I don't like how minty the rifle looks, combined with that looks like it might be bluing wear on the scope and mounts. What also does not make sense is the scope itself. It's a Zf-4 which AFAIK is a later war scope, mounted on a gun that had limited use earlier in the war.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/zielfernrohr/zielfernrohr_030.htm

http://topgun.rin.ru/cgi-bin/units.pl?field=92&unit=2524&lng=eng

Upvote 0