• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just What IS A Beta?

Wesreidau

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2011
Rhetorical question.

I am seeing a lot of people asking questions about the beta that suggests they don't understand the term. I am also seeing a lot of people answer those questions incorrectly and only furthering misunderstanding. For this reason I will explain the matter to the public.

During software development, particularly complicated software like games, drivers or operating systems where quite a lot can go wrong, extensive testing is required before the game is published. This is to make sure the finished product works well enough to meet the expectations of the paying customer. The earliest phases of development are entirely arcane to the end user. Design documents, concept art, placeholders, brainstorming and lots of variable defining has to take place before we even have anything we can look at.

Then comes roughly hashing out levels and models, putting something into the computers that can actually be fired up and interacted with. And the development team throws what they have together into something called an alpha build, collectively crosses their fingers, and tries to make it work. It usually doesn't, or if it does, it is a shambling abomination of runtime errors and unhandled exceptions. After a few builds the alpha becomes playable, to a degree, and the development team starts seeing how levels, weapons and gameplay dynamics all flow together. This is the playable alpha, when you're actually playing and not just making sure R causes your character to reload instead of crash to desktop.

Once everything is more-or-less working with the playable alpha, the development team puts out a beta. They then distribute the beta to beta testers. These testers are not so much playing the game as testing it to see if all the hardware and software oddities a hundred or so PC gamers will have crashes and bugs out the system. This phase increases the game's tolerance to odd configurations and also gets more eyes and brains trying to find problems and solve them. They also suggest things that need changing or discover all the glitches and exploits they can. The developers might decide they need more publicity or more input from players and release progressively broader betas. Unfortunately for every successive phase of beta with a broader and broader audience, more and more people who don't know what a beta is get a hold of the game then blab off on the internet about how buggy it is. These people are why the rest of us can't have nice things.

When the beta is working smoothly and everything is ready, or when the publisher starts screaming through the phone about fiscal quarters, the game goes gold. This is the magical moment when the first release version is printed to a master disk, from which the game is mass produced for distribution.

A demo can be released at any time, for free, presenting however much or little of the game the developers want to show off to the public. Demos are not betas. They are expected to be bug free, polished and entertaining. Betas are not demos. They are expected to contain bugs, be roughed in in places, and be played with a notepad of bugs you spotted at hand. Demos rarely contain the whole game, because then people would have no reason to buy it. Betas nearly always contain the whole game. There is very little sense in not testing anything but four levels out of ten in a beta!

I hope this post was informative to those who needed informing. Everyone else, inflate minor ommissions or mistakes into serious errors worthy of your esteemed critique below.

Does this forum now serve as a wiki?

It's nice from you to try to clear things, but everyone who is confused what a beta is can easily look it up elsewhere - the mighty world wide web has sites specialized on explaining such things!
the fact that they're here saying incorrect things proves they won't go elsewhere to check what it actually is.
and i've never seen it said better than here either

Reactions: Elim and AsoBit
Upvote 0
Without reading the OP's wall of text because life is too short the RO2 beta allows 2 weeks early access and a chance for TWI to stress test the server mechanics behind the ranking system etc. So you get to play early on what will be a near final version and TWI gets valuable beta testing of the server ranking. And it didn't take a wall of text.

Upvote 0
It's basically like this

Pre-alpha: the game is not playable, several key components still need to be put together.

Alpha: The game is somewhat playable, but the game is unstable and it serves mostly to make the game work.

Closed Beta: The game is playable, but has some issues that still need to be solved, gameplay balancing starts to become important, attempting to get the artwork final.
The first server load testing starts.

Semi-/Open Beta: The game is playable and it can be played for a longer period of time. It is now time to hammer down the details and get the game into a smooth playing experience. Map testing and server load testing become more important.

Release Candidate: The game undergoes a final test to see if it's ready to be released, and only if it's not the bugs will be fixed and there will be a second release candidate, to which the same applies as the first.

Gold: The game is not done, because a game is never really "done". But it's simply ready for consumer use, later issues can be addressed with patches.

And within all of this there are also different phases, to signify that a milestone has been reached.

Upvote 0
I don't think many here are confused on what a Beta truly is today. The confusion lies in developers offering Beta access with pre-purchase, and I am not picking on TWI. Many developers have started this new pre-purchase get early access marketing campaign.

The problem lies within the term Beta and getting it two weeks early. I have taken part in "Betas" and they are many times very rough and hardly playable for the public. Using this term for a two week early access is some what deceiving. As others have said the server stress tests and net code will be the most obvious tests for a Beta and only two weeks of use. All of the major bugs will have been found.

I applaud TWI for having a separate Beta build. This means after we all play the Beta build and find issues, TWI can go into the final build and make adjustments.

Upvote 0
Server load can be tested during alpha. Just did that with BF3 ;)
Second, Alpha is usually highly playable. Beta is for testing on different configs and/or to find and squash out any game breaking bugs. Depending on the platform.

But different developers might operate differently and do things in a different order. Guess that depends on the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0