• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just another thread about no one playing custom maps - NOT

[40-1]MORD

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2011
London
www.40-1.net
Hi commrades!
We have so many threads about going like "no one wants to play custom maps", "players dont want to stay and download" etc etc.
Is it really as bad? Me thinks that it is not.
Check this picture just taken a few mins before. 40-1 server 1 & 2 full of chaps happily playing custom maps :D (browser can show only up to 64 players, looking at my webadmin I see over 70 players on each server)
Server 1 usually fills up in a few mins even when I put a new map version that must be downloaded by all. In campaign map voting custom maps usually knock down stock ones. If you think Im just showing off my fancy pic you`re wrong!
I`d like to encourage server admins, specially of the most popular servers, to give it a go. Custom maps lifted 40-1 Where Eagles Dare to position number 2 in gametracker ro2 servers ranking 2 weeks ago. If you think that you would lose some players you can not be more wrong. Just put them bloody custom maps on your server and you regulars will love you instead of just liking ;) Any more new peeps will come. Trust my words!
Some good news for IOM fanatics - we will be getting custom maps on our brand new No Man`s Land IOM server.
Many many thanks to our mappers for your great work!
:IS2::IS2::IS2: for you!

Attachments

• 2014-08-25_00002.jpg
    2014-08-25_00002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I also think that now most of the custom maps are at the end of their development cycle they are getting updated less.
We would get complaints at Aussie / NZ when maps were getting updated every week and peeps not understanding that is how custom maps are made and tested.
We have about 18 custom maps in the map voting cycle at the moment.

Upvote 0
:cool:

I quite agree with Mord. That's why these assertions about custom map play always get me a little "animated." Until our recent crash, Crucible was getting close to entering the top 50 RO2 sites internationally according to GT. With the recent addition of Ogledow and the B&I map pack, we now have a full 35 completely custom maps on our rotation list for the choosing. Not one stock map. The whole argument about slow downloading is largely mythical unless your broadband comes in through Greenland over a pair of rusty barbed wires.
There's NO reason why anyone with access to THIS very website cannot download ANY map .roe file from the beta map thread HERE in compressed form within 5 minutes max. Just pop it in your client /my games/ Red Orchestra 2 folder. Bang! ready to go. You don't even have to rely on the redirects if you don't wish to.

Honest to God. 35 completely unique maps at any moment are available on ours and many other servers. NO ONE need play the same old map. Uless someone is forcing you at gunpoint.

Upvote 0
:cool:

I quite agree with Mord. That's why these assertions about custom map play always get me a little "animated." Until our recent crash, Crucible was getting close to entering the top 50 RO2 sites internationally according to GT.

How can I bring this in a civil way.

Almost entering the top 50 on RO2 servers according to GT tells me that the Crucible most of the time gathers dust. So nothing changed since I quit playing RO2 and sign in on this forum. According to GT the game now has

Servers: 152
Teams: 142
Fans: 1591
Players: 562

So lets be positive and the average number of players is 1000. And the 10 most popular servers have 64 people playing. This leaves 360 players to spread over all other servers. While not in the top 50 it tells me there are at least 40 servers above Crucible using these 360 players. Historical data shows the playernumber hardly went over the 16 players.

The 40-1 server is popular for a long time so they have loads of regulars willing to download custom maps so to be able to join that server. Most of them probably wouldn't bother if they had customs or not they just want to join the 40-1 server. Otherwise they would seed the Crucible but they didn't.

I respect your work getting customs to play but Gametracker numbers aint that positive and I can't understand you see that different. Or I'm totally wrong.

Upvote 0
So too for the GT stats you present.
So....which are the GT stats you're touting? The ones that show the server's ranking or the stats for player count? Because I've looked at both and Drecks is right-on with the player count number. I'm confused. Maybe the player count should be converted to metric (you know, double it and add 30)? Because then it would equal about 64 players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So....which are the GT stats you're touting? The ones that show the server's ranking or the stats for player count? Because I've looked at both and Drecks is right-on with the player count number. I'm confused. Maybe the player count should be converted to metric (you know, double it and add 30)? Because then it would equal about 64 players.

Two counts:

Total number of servers worldwide is over 200

Total numbers of players actually present will vary hourly over the day
but a momentary snapshot shows over 900.

Look. I don't come here to argue stats. I'm here to run a server, support the franchise and the community, whatever it consists of. You guys invest your time in RO2 as you wish or invest it in whatever you see as beneficial. I'm content to play the game. I don't do angst.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the takeaway here, Sajer, is that you are touting your server and its ranking on GT but you're leaving out the part about how few actual players the Crucible server attracts. This is no fault of yours or anyone else's so I hope you don't take it personally when others point out that the daily player numbers on The Crucible don't back up the hype. If you're going to tell a story it's important to tell the whole story. Even the parts you don't like. The Crucible (despite your efforts) just hasn't garnered enough regulars to keep it full and full servers, regardless of content, are what attract players.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

I'm not touting anything about my server. It is what it is. My dialogue is, and continues to be, in support of Mord's observation about custom maps. Crucible can take care of itself. I'm having fun with the custom maps AND the server. I urge others to enjoy them for what it's worth. One moment the dialogue focuses on how RO2 has diminished in popularity, the next moment the dialogue swings specifically back to our server. Mord in the meantime is stating that custom maps are doing well with players in general. I happen to agree. C'mon you guys, if you don't feel comfortable with the existing community's relationship with RO2, it's ok with me. :) I'm not trying to influence your line of reasoning, I'm just going to continue to enjoy the game.

Upvote 0