• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Jap" racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it's context for the term "Jap." It's a fast short way to refer to Japanese soldiers, and not necessarily a racial slur. Of course there was rampant Racism during the time (Internment camps on the West Coast), so it's a bit difficult to separate the terms. Call it racism or nationalism. We were at war with the Japanese.

I'm Asian-American, and it doesn't bother me a bit in RS, as it's in historical context. Now today, using the term "Jap" outside of a WWII context would be pretty offensive, like the term "Chink" or the N word.

I've been trying to figure out the Japanese equivalent terms. Hakujin = Caucasian, and Amerikanjin = American. I don't know what the equivalent racial slurs would have been. According to this thesis, the term "keto" was a derogatory term used by Japanese Americans interned during the war - meaning "hairy beast." Interestingly, post WWII, this term became slang for penis, meaning "hairy foreigner," as it's hairy and dangles outside. So I would guess it was used as a racial slur in Japan too.

Upvote 0
Nip(s) and Jap(s) both mean the same thing ironcially. Nippon is another way to refer to Japan and is the older term for the country. Nipponese is another term for the people just like Japanese is. Both aforementioned terms are just shortened ways to refer to said people. Still, some will think it racist, yet others not, depending on when they grew up and moreso, where.

I lived in Japan for 3 years as a kid (many years ago mind you) and I don't recall ever hearing it used there or hearing anything from the Japanese saying anything racist (though I would not have understood it if they did).

As far as 'Murica, I have yet to hear anyone here in the South say America in how people are alledging. As far as people assuming that it is just people in the South who are "inbred" hicks, they can be found in any state. That term seems to have popped up and has seen regular usage especially since the movie Team America came out. If people find Japs and Nips racist, then they should find Muricans just as racist too.

Upvote 0
If people find Japs and Nips racist, then they should find Muricans just as racist too.

Not at all. "jap" has historical connotations and is just as offensive as the N word. Now, I wouldn't get on peoples' asses when they use it just for short (they usually don't know any better), but as a general piece of advice people really shouldn't be saying it. Anyone who doesn't understand why it's derogatory and hateful speech obviously doesn't know much about the appalling racism that Japanese Americans endured, a time that was one of the darkest chapters in this country's history. So yes. It is extremely racist.

EDIT: not to mention that American is a nationality, not an ethnicity, so "murican" (a term I've honestly never heard before) really can't be called racist. More like xenophobic, and even that's pushing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
'Jap' is an ethnic slur, full stop. While in the game you can hear it, because it's a reconstruction, and it's fine, in the forum I don't think this would be appropriate (and in the in-game chat you get all sorts of plonkers, so there's no point in even trying to police that).

To the people with small bladders who have no time to write 'Japanese' in a forum (cough) post, here's a practical solution: use a full stop, which is a common way to mark an abbreviation. Say 'Jap.' and step off the razor's edge.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't mind the characters in the game saying it (it being historically accurate), but accurate portrayal and condoning behavior are totally different. A player using those remarks falls under the latter.

I think the most racist thing I've heard from an in-game character (and only once in 50ish hours) was 'shoot anything you see that's yellow'. I was surprised by that one.

Upvote 0
"Jap" is short term for Japanese, "Nip" has weird origins and "Murica" comes from a specific pronunciation. As an outsider (not Japanese nor American) I wouldn't consider any of the above terms as an insult, if they aren't spoken with an intent to insult, because in the end all comes down to this - an intent.

Upvote 0
"Jap" is short term for Japanese, "Nip" has weird origins and "Murica" comes from a specific pronunciation. As an outsider (not Japanese nor American) I wouldn't consider any of the above terms as an insult, if they aren't spoken with an intent to insult, because in the end all comes down to this - an intent.

+1 In game, its in line with the times. Besides, intent is everything.

Upvote 0
I'd say it's context for the term "Jap." It's a fast short way to refer to Japanese soldiers, and not necessarily a racial slur. Of course there was rampant Racism during the time (Internment camps on the West Coast), so it's a bit difficult to separate the terms. Call it racism or nationalism. We were at war with the Japanese.

I'm Asian-American, and it doesn't bother me a bit in RS, as it's in historical context. Now today, using the term "Jap" outside of a WWII context would be pretty offensive, like the term "Chink" or the N word.

I've been trying to figure out the Japanese equivalent terms. Hakujin = Caucasian, and Amerikanjin = American. I don't know what the equivalent racial slurs would have been. According to this thesis, the term "keto" was a derogatory term used by Japanese Americans interned during the war - meaning "hairy beast." Interestingly, post WWII, this term became slang for penis, meaning "hairy foreigner," as it's hairy and dangles outside. So I would guess it was used as a racial slur in Japan too.

This. I'm Asian-American as well and it doesn't really bother me in the slightest. This may be because I'm not Japanese but I don't see any Japanese people getting offended yet. I may get slightly offended by the terms "Slant Eye" and "Chink" but I just shrug it off. It must be wonderful to be too ignorant to understand the meaning to why these are offensive but I digress. I'm fine with people calling people "Japs" and "Nips" although I do agree with what Grenator says. Environment is important and people should probably stop calling the Japanese team "Japs" on the forums just because they're too lazy to spell it out.

Upvote 0
What makes a term racist?

It's in the eye of the beholder. Well who is the beholder? In this case, Japanese people. And yeah... irl they are offended by the use of the word Jap. So yeah, it's racist. It's that simple.

Are Americans offended by the word Yank? Nope. OK then, no problem. "murican" is a non-issue, never heard anyone say that in my life, much less in this game. Well OK I've seen it in political arguments online, it refers to an American of conservative political ideology. But never heard it in-game.

Kind of hard for your average white American to be offended racially in the first place... that's why there isn't much power in any of the racist terms for white people. Because all the power of a term is in the eye of the beholder and we mostly don't give a f*** about our ethnicity. We've never been victimized as an ethnicity.

In-game, I just use the word "enemy". I can use it regardless of which team I'm on, and it always works and is never misunderstood or offensive to anyone.

Enemy MG in the bunker left of D. Tons of enemies defending B.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a Japanese born in California. As a Japanese American, I find it offensive when people say "japs" verbally or in text. If that term is used in the game, I think it is fine. I understand players not wanting to type the long word "japanese" all the time during a game, but saying the word on a mic is no exception. Using the term outside the game is very offensive to me and many other Japanese Americans.

Please don't use the term "japs". Please use "IJA" or something else. It really bothers me when people use it in the forums or on a mic. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.