• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

It isnt Caturday. Post your ****ing cats.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. It's been a tough week, from realizing I had to let him go, but things are ok now. It was for the best, he had a great life the last years, compared to what he went through as a young cat. At least I could see him off before he got really ill, which was just a matter of weeks according to the vet.

Today I've cleaned out his stuff and washed the flat, cats generate a lot of hair everywhere. At least I don't have to do this twice weekly anymore...

Upvote 0
I feel bad for you, too. I have a cat too, whose age is kind of unknown as we picked her up from local "animal hospital". They had also picked her up in a bad condition and no-one found out who is the owner.

So, she is possibly around the same age as I (17), she as also been in our family as long as I can remember. Nowadays she has went completely blind and really slim. I wonder how long she will last

Upvote 0
you will know when the time is right. we had a half-stray cat around the house for over almost two decades (she didn't want to come inside the house, just hang around the property, eat our food, and get some attention from time to time). she never was the fittest cat, lost her teeth pretty early, drooled a lot. but she was pretty cool and was accepted by our house cat.
sudddenly she started coming into the house, becoming very passive and sleeping most of the time. the vet said she had bad kidneys and that she wouldn't last much longer. we took her back home and i guess she had another few weeks worth living, still enjoyed being petted, ate etc.
few weeks later she started refusing to eat, didn't purr anymore (which she basically did all the time) and looked miserable. at that point i knew that euthanasia was the best (or at least a good solution) to minimize her suffering. it was a hard decision, but in retrospect i think it was the right thing to do. just trust your feeling, don't wait too long, but don't rush the decision either.

@shadrach: my condolences! it's never easy losing a friend, be it man or beast.

Upvote 0
Right, so the cat that has been with me all my youth has died two days ago eventually. Tixhal was right, I did notice on the last day that she didn't eat at all, walking became really hard, she didn't purr. I don't know did I do it wrong when I didn't take her to the local vet. I thought it was best to let her die in her home in front of the warm fireplace. She was blind and almost deaf, I hated the idea to take her to a new place. To be "put out of her miseries" on a cold table

So, a grave was dug on my backyard and she was given a proper burial.

But that's not all, my other younger cat seems really depressed. Even food doesn't cheer her up (which usually does). She doesn't come up to the door like she always used to do. She only sleeps all day long, eats twice and goes to sleep again. I wonder how I can cheer her up a little bit.. Kind of reminds me of that monty python "Amuse A CAT" sketch.. :(

Upvote 0
Very sorry to hear that mate, I know it's very sad and tough to lose a pet... :(

And I think you did the right thing, it sounds like as natural a death as you can get. As long as she didn't suffer for a long time - it probably knew what was coming and it's better to just let nature work itself out in those cases.

If it had gone on for a longer time than a few days, like with cancer, you just know it's going to get much worse and painful for the animal, it is the humane thing to just go to the vets.

You just have to make that decision yourself, which I think is the hardest part of it all, that you have to decide when it's time to end it and the cat cannot tell you if it is in pain or not...

At least you had the cat there, sometimes they just wander off to die somewhere hidden and you are left to wonder.

If she died at home in a warm bed or in front of a fireplace with family it sounds like it was a proper nice way to go :)

Upvote 0