• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

It has to be said...

And right there is where you lost me. "Unrealistic" in a game of infected creatures that were conjured up by a scientist who is HIMSELF a product of his experiments. Creatures that crawl on walls, go invisible, vomit at will, shoot fireballs, have blades for arms, glowing cores in their torso, and all of which are being hunted down by people in suits with gas masks, rave outfits, and the sort.

But the red scream... that is unrealistic.

QFT. The word realistic has no place in a discussion about how a game should be. Sure realism can enhance or degrade gameplay, but its fun that is the bottom line. A simulator on the other hand is something else.

On topic: I would turn off "Red crap" if given the option. Not for improved performance, but for more immersion. (better gameplay)

Upvote 0
And right there is where you lost me. "Unrealistic" in a game of infected creatures that were conjured up by a scientist who is HIMSELF a product of his experiments. Creatures that crawl on walls, go invisible, vomit at will, shoot fireballs, have blades for arms, glowing cores in their torso, and all of which are being hunted down by people in suits with gas masks, rave outfits, and the sort.

All those things are realistic in the KF atmosphere. If horzine and all the specimens existed in RL somehow, the situation would pan out pretty damn similiarly to how KF does it. Cept maybe not with the ammo and guns lying everywhere lol
It's not like TWI didn't try to put in any realism aspects. There are no crosshairs, the weapons are true to the real thing, the voice acting is...nevermind. There is realism involved in KF even if the general concept couldn't be realistic in RL.

Everything in KF has a title and an explanation of what it is. Except the red crap. I can't name a single thing in KF that doesn't have any explanation except that red crap (and perhaps, what the stuff is that the husk shoots). Therefore, by KF standards it is unrealistic.

I like the idea of making it grey and harder to see so it blurs the air. This wouldn't really fix the lag problem but you would still be able to see it and it would be more realistic. Or at the very least give us the option to turn it off, it is a game breaker for people with low end graphics hardware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I would believe that Fleshpounds, Scrakes, Gorefasts and Patty running up the London streets, rather than one ugly ***** screaming red polygon ****.

Upvote 0

you wouldnt understand :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's lagged me before, and I play KF on 1024x768 on all highest (4x AA and 8x AF) with a good framerate, yet when being overrun, all is fine, then the siren pops up around the corner, screams, I go red, her red crap makes everything else go red, then my screen view turns, then I walk into a wall... and die.

Yeah, red crap is pretty effective, don't think it needs removing though. toning down , yes.

Upvote 0

wait crawlers can walk on walls?

Upvote 0
The problem with turning it off is the same with being able to turn off smoke: Everyone would turn it off just to get an advantage. God knows if there was an option to remove the smoke from Demoman spam, I'd turn the smoke off, even though it's not a performance issue at all.

Same with the Siren's scream, I think. I already did it with motion blur; I don't need the extra FPS, really, but I find it frustrating to play with and having it off gives me an advantage as a Berserker (No screen darkening/blurring when I get hit. And I WILL get hit as a Zerker). I think the red is honestly there so people can see the screams in the first place and know where a siren is coming from, so it's somewhat of a gameplay factor as well.

The sole purpose of the siren's scream is to disorient, confuse, and obscure vision to a player. If they take that out, it loses a significant portion of it's "Horror" value, as it's just another enemy that damages you instead of making you dizzy, half-blind, and disoriented as enemies close on you...

wait crawlers can walk on walls?

It's more of an implied ability, I think. It's frequently said that they can climb walls, but the most we see 'em do is crawl in air vents and jump really far...

I'm pretty sure it's lagged me before, and I play KF on 1024x768 on all highest (4x AA and 8x AF) with a good framerate, yet when being overrun, all is fine, then the siren pops up around the corner, screams, I go red, her red crap makes everything else go red, then my screen view turns, then I walk into a wall... and die.

Yeah, red crap is pretty effective, don't think it needs removing though. toning down , yes.

I've had that before too with about the same settings as you. However, I get the exact same thing with copious amounts of Smoke or Flame from Demo and Firebug teammates, respectively. Toning it down or at least having an option to do so would help immensely, as a game with 3+ demomen and a firebug can get nigh-unplayable...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally don't like the red crap myself lol. It was the one thing when I started playing KF that I thought to myself "wtf is that flying red magic **** she's doing".

I think it would look better as a ripple effect on the screen to represent sound waves. Obviously this wouldn't solve the lag problem, but it would be a lot less annoying and IN YOUR FACE like the red crap.

Upvote 0
explosion smoke causes me alot more problems than the siren scream in terms of slowing my comp down. You shouldnt be near the siren anyway.

It doesn't matter how far away or close up you are, if you can see the red stuff it will lag you.

The problem with turning it off is the same with being able to turn off smoke: Everyone would turn it off just to get an advantage. God knows if there was an option to remove the smoke from Demoman spam, I'd turn the smoke off, even though it's not a performance issue at all.

Same with the Siren's scream, I think. I already did it with motion blur; I don't need the extra FPS, really, but I find it frustrating to play with and having it off gives me an advantage as a Berserker (No screen darkening/blurring when I get hit. And I WILL get hit as a Zerker). I think the red is honestly there so people can see the screams in the first place and know where a siren is coming from, so it's somewhat of a gameplay factor as well.

The sole purpose of the siren's scream is to disorient, confuse, and obscure vision to a player. If they take that out, it loses a significant portion of it's "Horror" value, as it's just another enemy that damages you instead of making you dizzy, half-blind, and disoriented as enemies close on you..

You bring up a good point. So instead of getting rid of it completely or having an option to turn it off, I say they replace it with something that better represents sound.

Upvote 0
You bring up a good point. So instead of getting rid of it completely or having an option to turn it off, I say they replace it with something that better represents sound.

I think it would look better as a ripple effect on the screen to represent sound waves. Obviously this wouldn't solve the lag problem, but it would be a lot less annoying and IN YOUR FACE like the red crap.

10redcraps

Upvote 0
No offense intended, but to not be able to afford a good enough pc to run kf at least on low...
Seriously, though. I live in Brazil, a country with ridiculously high prices for pc-related stuff, and mine (it runs crysis pretty smoothly on medium settings - kf on maximum settings, running @1680x1050 on a 22" screen) cost me the equvalent of 600$. I pay 60$ a month. Doesn't seem too expensive to me...

Anyways. It's true that the siren "red crap" is rather unrealistic. It's a goddamn scream! So I vote yes to take it down, or at least give the option to do so.

Also, I missed this earlier and feel compelled to respond. I'm not offended, but I should point out two big points:

1) What's nothing to you might be quite a bit to someone else. For example, from my minimum wage job, since I'm in college, I have to scrounge money for:
-Tuition
+Course Fees
+Books
-Rent
+Food
+Internet (A necessity when you're in college)
-Car Insurance
+Gas

And I still have to have something set aside for car repairs, medical bills, and other expenses that creep up. And I know I'm not alone in this type of situation. I barely make ends meet, period, so buying a new computer to play games on is out of the question. Just keep that kind of thing in mind before you start that "I don't see why people can't afford newer, faster computers!" stuff, as many are barely affording rent and food.

2) Since you're in Brazil, you might now be aware of it, but the job market in the US is pretty bad right now. Most folks I know can't even get a minimum-wage job and the ones that do are competing for hours. Now isn't really the optimal time to go out buying things that aren't strictly needed.

Upvote 0
Im hoping to build a good computer someday but right now im gaming on a compaq with an athlon II 1.9 GHZ and a geforce 8200m. I dont play killing floor anymore because of 1 simple thing. Smoke,Fire,and the siren scream are the worst optimized things in video game history. HELL YAH IM TALKING WORSE THAN CRYSIS DEMO RELEASE. I know since unreal made an extremely flawed engine thats cpu dependant mostly and not gpu dependant at all this contributes. But theres no reason if this was on source engine or doom 3 or IW4 or anything except UE I shouldnt be able to play this on at least medium-high on 1024x768(**** YOU LAPTOP MONITOR!!) If they wont remove it at least remove all the frame drops from fire,smoke and her annoying ****ing red stuff. Pardon my language not having the best time this new year(Broke up with BF :() Also comments on uber fail laptop are accepted.

I have the same laptop, it isn't that garbage, but I also have desktop computer which I do my gaming on, UE Engine isn't that CPU dependant, I have a Pentium 4 with an ATI 4650, I run the game at about 40-70 fps highest settings, when they waves start and the zombies appear onscreen it drops to about 30-40, still good framerates.

I agree with having an option for it on/off.

Upvote 0