• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Issues in RO to i hope to see fixed in ROHOS

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Some of these might already be fixed, the reason for posting them now. Is that early in development if issues are still there, there is a much bigger chance of seeing them fixed. I wont post possible solutions to issues as for a lot there are a gazillion user suggestions, that can be found through search. For me personally fixes to issues like these are worth more than new features.

Capzones:

People can cap by placing a lot of people on the corner of a capzone, while the opponent is actually in full control of the place beside that tiny corner where everybody is stacked. So by controlling the the toilet with 10 man you control an entire building.

The cap status enemy precense bar is abused by people to find out the second that an enemy walks in the capzone. Even when nobody on the team has seen the enemy yet, everybody knows that he is somewhere on the edge of the capzone and starts throwing blind nades around there.

Even when no teammate is in a capzone that could possibly report the status of a cap. You can still see on the overhead map that the enemy is busy capping something, breaking the ability to secretly attack something stealthy.

(For both overhead map cap status and in capzone capstatus its nice that info that players should share, but often dont, is automatically given to players making it easier especially for newer players to see what is going on and where to go. Although it often tells information to the team that nobody could and should know yet, which removes the ability to use stealth and surprise attacks effectively.)

Weapons:

Weapon pickups are harder than they should be, often weapons are stacked ontop of each other making it hard to pick up exactly what you want. When you pickup a weapon you throw away your weapon in exactly the same direction, so if you mispicked what you wanted you often switch hence and forth between your main weapon and the items on the ground.

Free aim is a great system, although the initial position of the free aim system in RO is not a random place but dead center. So people can simply reset free aim to the original position and use that to hip deadly accurate at long ranges.

If you change stance and back, or switch weapon and do not move your mouse then the weapon will look at exactly the same spot. It allows for a form of popup shooting, and sniping in combination with say a pair of binoculars.

Weapon loadouts, class selection and reinforcements:

Weapon loadouts are sectioned to 32, 44 and 64 players. Especially when servers are not full all weapons for say 64 players are available to the 20 players playing, allowing nearly everybody to have a speciality weapon.
In lesser form the issue happens as well to servers that are run at say 34 and 46 players.

Reinforcements, reinforcements are scaled based on serverslots, and are scaled linear. Making them often too low on low player servers and too high on high player servers or visa versa. As well its purely based upon server slots, while often servers are not completely filled up.

Individual players do not care at all about total reinforcements of a team, and gladly waste lives till the point when the entire pool of reinforcements is empty. Then people suddenly start playing more secure.

Once reinforcements run out there can be an afk player left in spawn, that the enemy cannot get to due to spawnprotection. Resulting in sometimes having to wait for 10 minutes while everybody is dead.

Players with fast computers can always select their weaponry first, while people with a slower loading computer are generally forced to always play with leftover weaponry.

Animations:

First and Third person animations are not always of equal length, making it sometimes seem that someone is still throwing a grenade or reloading when he actually already got his weapon ready to fire. And gives some possibilities for some other exploits.

Loads of actions cannot be interrupted, when a grenade lands next to someone his natural response would be to run away, although if in ro you were doing something like reloading, you could not run away resulting in your death.

General options:

Kickvoting, its quite hard to access the kickvoting menu in the game, especially for newer players. This causes server admins to be forced to put the kickvote amount to levels that can be exploited easily.

Readyup system, in ro the built in ready up system readies up after you selected your weapon, although usually people want to be set to ready after possibly discussing some things over chat (for which knowing which weapons one uses can be crucial). Making it that games can start before plans are discussed, because of this actually all clans use a cummunity made mutator.

Last edited on 11th of January 2010

Last edited:
I support your statements and I like to add one: The melee animation

With bayonet: 1st person animation is a very good one.

3rd is much too fast. When preparing to stab the rifle moves backwards much too fast. One sec he's holding it normal, the next it's in strike position.

Without bayonet:

3rd person simply looks ridiculous cause one sec he's got the rifle straight away from him and the next it's lifted up.

1st person is doing better but still I wish to see back the old direct swing rather than the butt ram one of OST.

Also to me, I know it's high arcade, MoH Airborne made a good job on melee animations in 1st and 3rd person. I found this in an actually old frag movie.

Note:The video shows also the breakable bolting animation. The German climbs up the ladder and fires his Kar98k at the US soldier. The bolting animation is about to start but it's interrupted by the player starting to melee attack the US paratrooper. Later after the fight is won, the German is rebolting.

Beside the shooting damage of the weapon is not correct the melee damage done seems quite realistic to me.

Upvote 0
Capzones:
People can cap by placing a lot of people on the corner of a capzone, while the opponent is actually in full control of the place beside that tiny corner where everybody is stacked.[...]
yeah.. a capbar serveroption would be nice..

Weapons:
Weapon pickups are harder than they should be, often weapons are stacked ontop of each other making it hard to pick up exactly what you want. When you pickup a weapon you throw away your weapon in exactly the same direction, so if you mispicked what you wanted you often switch hence and forth between your main weapon and the items on the ground.
i made a post about the, too. my suggestion was that you only drop selected weapon when dying. and ammo nades and all otherstuff needs to be selected at the dead body via some sort of gesture menu(maybe like the one you going to use for squad command)
and BTW:
in some of the screenshots i only see weapons and not ammo or granades lying around.. hopeing the best :D

Free aim is a great system, although the initial position of the free aim system in RO is not a random place but dead center. So people can simply reset free aim to the original position and use that to hip deadly accurate at long ranges.[...]
thought about a freeaim, too.
i have a new suggestion for free aim now:
for example if you move your rifle so its offcenter and you switch weapon to, lets say, pistol the freeaimposition of the rifle will be applyed to the next weapon you select. so next weapon will allways have the same "angle" as the last on selected. (this would mean freeaim nades thowing :) )
n3xc8.jpg

after sprint your weapon should point at the spot it pointed befor you sprinted.
the only possiblity to center the gun woulde then be aiming.

Weapon loadouts and reinforcements:
Weapon loadouts are sectioned to 32, 44 and 64 players. Especially when servers are not full all weapons for say 64 players are available to the 20 players playing, allowing nearly everybody to have a speciality weapon.
In lesser form the issue happens as well to servers that are just a bit above the player limits.[...]
50-64 player servers are fail in any way:
-laggy
-inbalanced as hell ( 2 snpers as defender odessa... pick up those sniper rifles and you will have 4 snipers in hq...its horrible)
-and perfomence is bad (fps drop)

First and Third person animations are not always of equal length, making it sometimes seem that someone is still throwing a grenade or reloading when he actually already got his weapon ready to fire. And gives some possibilities for some other exploits.
yeah, this is the most improtant thing to be done very very good...
i hade to be shoot by people that still have nades in there hands or are still reloading.
this 1st-3rd-person animations problem is my biggest concern if i look at the new coversystem...hope that there won't some sort of coversystem popuping

Loads of actions cannot be interrupted, when a grenade lands next to someone his natural response would be to run away, although if in ro you were doing something like reloading, you could not run away.

interruptable animations would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice

Upvote 0
I would personally prefer something based on influence like in the game of GO. Like if you have say 80% influence over a capzone you got it. You can try the effect out here.

(http://canut-ki-in.jeudego.org/simul_influence/?playXpos=13&playYpos=17)

just click on the plusses of that board and you see how influence goes
you drop stones in turns in that program. Blue is Axis territory, Red is Allied territory and black is no man's land.
White stones themselves are axis soldiers and black ones are allied soldiers ^^
And imagine that the entire board is like the entire capzone :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
all very good points. i would also like to see server allotments at 32, 44 and 64 all sound good. i've never really had any major performance issues playing on 50 player servers but i'd say that 64 should be the limit. the server size is not really the issue in regards to gameplay, it's the maps that are the issue. putting danzig and odessa on a 50player server is of course just stupid. however, 50 players on berezina, leningrad, even basovka and other open maps is certainly ok. in fact i tend to find those big maps with 50 players very fun for pubbing. not many big maps would be suitable for most clan matches, but for large scale pub play and 50-60 players they should be just fine. server admins just need to be smart about the maps they put on their severs and consider how the amount of players will affect gameplay.

sparta 64 players anyone??? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
good point. would be tough playing with 8 guys on debrecen trying to fill it up.

perhaps all maps are set at a certain max.....like say, with ROOST: Danzig max at 32, so if there were more than 32 players (you're on a 40, 50, 60 etc... max server) the map is just disabled in voting. that way you start to fill servers on smaller maps with less players, but once you get a server such as a 50man flled, you can't vote up a map that's way to small for the amount of players.

i've always loved looking at maps and their info saying "recommended for 16-32 players" and seeing 50 people on it. i think mappers made those recommendations for a reason. :p

Upvote 0
I would personally prefer something based on influence like in the game of GO. Like if you have say 80% influence over a capzone you got it. You can try the effect out here.

(http://canut-ki-in.jeudego.org/simul_influence/?playXpos=13&playYpos=17)

just click on the plusses of that board and you see how influence goes
you drop stones in turns in that program. Blue is Axis territory, Red is Allied territory and black is no man's land.
And imagine that the entire board is like the entire capzone :p

Well I was thinking about something similar, but that sure would be great :F

Upvote 0
or the animation glitch where if you pick up a fallen weapon that you are already carrying, in your screen it is normal but on everyone else's it looks like you are holding the gun in one hand, can't tell whether they are aiming, holding up bash, or anything.

I'm trying to put nasty sideeffects of working features primarily in the list. What you state is a real bug, and bugs should generally be squashed if found on time by testers etc ^^.

Upvote 0
Yes and thats the reason why these issues might be fixed, they are listed here in case they possibly forgot about some. Devs are humans too. These arent bugs they are issues found with actual game implementations.

If we state what issues there were there in RO:Ost that werent Fixed once RO:Hos is released chances are a lot slimmer to see them changed, thats why this listing is there even though some things might or might not be in the roadmap already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont think thats a side effect of an original design choice :p.

The entire bot system is revamped, in the first presentation on youtube there were some undecisiveness that could possibly be seen (bots spinning around). But if anything twi seems to take bot ai really serious now, so if anything the ai is probably the least like ostfront.

So if there are any issues like that in ROHOS, it will be up for betatesters to find, report to the devs to get it fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0