• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is there going to be a good melee system?

Er, I guess I'm not entirely clear on what you mean. Are you suggesting that just by moving your mouse to the left you could do either a top or bottom thrust, or would you actually be able to dictate whether it was top or bottom? If you mean the second, I think that would end up being awkward. Sometimes it can be hard enough just to get the weapon to swing/stab/whatever in the direction you want, let alone having two distinct areas in the same section of motion, if that makes sense.

Ah... OK... like in Mount and Blade, u move the mouse up and the attack is an over the head attack, left is a swing from right to left, right is a swing from left to write ( i know i messed it up in the old post) and mouse moved to the bottom is a jab from the hip. Did that make more sense?

Sorry i haven't posted another image.. i have been really busy so i will try to get to it soon!!

Upvote 0
Most of these melee solutions don't seem very practical overly complicated for a first person shooter.

Honestly, I can't see the devs going any farther than giving a couple of different kinds of melee attack options, bound to different commands. Otherwise you're going to have to create a completely separate "melee mode" with its own separate coding, etc. which I don't see being worth it for something you're only going to use occasionally.

Upvote 0
There's no need for a different command, all that is needed is in my eyes:

side swing buttstock melee
bayonet melee strike
blocking

and maybe ... kicking

Look at this source from MoH Airborne, the buttstock smacks feel real (at least to me): http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/The_Emperor/?action=view&current=Bash.flv

About the bayonet, maybe some kind of WaW animation style is good for it. Of course the auto aiming of the bayonet melee must be removed.

Now after that add an animation for blocking and add the ability.

and it's done.

Upvote 0
Ah... OK... like in Mount and Blade, u move the mouse up and the attack is an over the head attack, left is a swing from right to left, right is a swing from left to write ( i know i messed it up in the old post) and mouse moved to the bottom is a jab from the hip. Did that make more sense?

Sorry i haven't posted another image.. i have been really busy so i will try to get to it soon!!

Yeah, that makes a lot more since.

Guys this sounds irritating. So you use the mouse to adjust strike direction, yeah? And how do I look and turn around while fighting?

Try the Mount and Blade demo. Fight for a bit. We're suggesting something like that.

Most of these melee solutions don't seem very practical overly complicated for a first person shooter.

Honestly, I can't see the devs going any farther than giving a couple of different kinds of melee attack options, bound to different commands. Otherwise you're going to have to create a completely separate "melee mode" with its own separate coding, etc. which I don't see being worth it for something you're only going to use occasionally.

Yeah, it's unlikely, but hey, we can wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry if its been posted already, but maybe something like CoD4's:)eek:) melee system with the dogs could be implemented.

as in, a bar appears and you have a split second to press it, if you time it right the other person gets to react, if you time it wrong you lose. and when the other person reacts the same thing happens
to prevent it from infinetly going add some variance to when you have to mouseclick

of course this might not work when the inevitable custom map comes out with no guns and only fistfights

Upvote 0
Don't forget to include latency, server timings, server/client replication.....

Oh yeah, its really easy to make a system that works well across a dozen or more network hops and keeps the multiplayers happy.....;)
Exactly ... that's what I mean by people not providing practical suggestions. Honestly, the simpler the better in case of a melee system. It needs to be flexible, as realistic as possible, and not take away control from the player, all while being practical. This means, in my opinion, a system similar to that found in RO:OST, except with a slash option for bayonets.

Upvote 0
sorry if its been posted already, but maybe something like CoD4's:)eek:) melee system with the dogs could be implemented.

as in, a bar appears and you have a split second to press it, if you time it right the other person gets to react, if you time it wrong you lose. and when the other person reacts the same thing happens
to prevent it from infinetly going add some variance to when you have to mouseclick

of course this might not work when the inevitable custom map comes out with no guns and only fistfights

I really think quicktime events are the wrong way to handle this.

Upvote 0
Exactly ... that's what I mean by people not providing practical suggestions. Honestly, the simpler the better in case of a melee system. It needs to be flexible, as realistic as possible, and not take away control from the player, all while being practical. This means, in my opinion, a system similar to that found in RO:OST, except with a slash option for bayonets.

The melee system suggested a bit back is pretty simple. You move your mouse in one of four directions, and your guy attacks/blocks in that direction, depending on what key you've pressed. I suppose getting to work with the various pings and stuff would be an absolute *****.

[QUOTE=M

Upvote 0
I've been now playing some mount and blade, it really isn't bad ... but I doubt TWI will take that much focus on it. But something I really wish is this stupid Ostfront animation type and hit detection has an ending. Get at least back the sideswing bash from the mod, it felt more real and more practical too and do a different animation for weapons with unfolded folding stock. It's a constant hurting thing since 2006 to see someone melee with the MP40 and PPS 43. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well actually the gun side swing functions that way that the gun is more or less horizontal to your shoulders after the punch forward. So the gun's business end should actually not point towards your chest. :)

Yeah. I don't think you would swing the rifle, like a club or a baseball bat. But with both hands kept where you hold the gun.

Upvote 0