• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is RO:HoS pandering too much to the CoD crowd?

Our system, which we haven't announced the details of yet
Pretty much my standpoint of this is to wait until they give more details about how they are going to implement these features.

A feature list is just a list with empty blanks and randomly filling in those blanks from experiences of other games doesn't mean it will be true for another.

Upvote 0
No, that is not rule. Sometimes facts are more true than speculations,
sometimes they are not.

Or do you still believe that John F. Kennedy was shooted by that skinny
man, who was able to shoot 3 rounds in 4,7 seconds to moving target
with his bolt-action rifle. That would be quite a performance even with
semi-automatic.

If we believe that fact is a statment gave by authorized person.

I dont believe on facts 100%, because if you say that game will have running pandas and it will be fun. Yes it can be
fact in your eyes. But not in my, thats why i keep speculating, until i personaly know.

Other intersting thing is that, Devs have recommand tens of times to read their post and facts and then there
are also those "heroes of facts" who post those fact statements which are collected from news.

Ya, we have read those news and we know content of those news for sure. But we speculate because its fun.
Forums exist because people love to speculate. Lets take example from this forum.

is RO:HoS pandering too much to the CoD crowd? Speculation will RO be like it should be or not.
Preorder and beta testing? Speculation about what kind of beta HOS should have
Winter War Speculation about why Finland was able to defence against Russia.
Tanks, vehicles and other Speculation about can it be fun to be a loader or not, even that it isnt even known if there is any tanks.

So without speculation there would be only a News statements and thousand "sounds awsome" post under it.
So i say all this got more to do that we love to speculate than what kind of game HOS will be.

Offcourse we could speculate even about Britneys Spears new album. But its easier to speculate about more
familiar topics. Like "Was the IS2 worst tank of the ww2?" or "Will HOS suck big time or not?"

But dont worries, new players havent arrived yet to forum, so there is just RO-veterans who will buy the game
for sure.

And yes we all descend from Golum and RO is our own precious, we wont give it to COD noobs. :D :D

gollumc.jpg

Having too much time, dont take it seriously. :D

+Rep :D

Upvote 0
Wow, so much speculation :)

On the "MGs quicker to deploy" thing, as an example. I'm an old MG whoor, so...

The old system has ben heavily refined and improved so you don't have to get it "just right" when trying to deploy. No more guessing if you can deploy an MG on that bit of broken ground.

No need to grovel around trying to be at the right height either. And the cover and deployment systems properly inter-twined so it all works neatly together.

So "quicker" means "no dicking about, no having to get into just the right position". I'm in cover behind a wall and I can go straight into position, deploying my weapon. Not "speeded up" - just "efficient". Cool animations, too :)

Upvote 0

The old system has ben heavily refined and improved so you don't have to get it "just right" when trying to deploy. No more guessing if you can deploy an MG on that bit of broken ground.

No need to grovel around trying to be at the right height either. And the cover and deployment systems properly inter-twined so it all works neatly together.

So "quicker" means "no dicking about, no having to get into just the right position". I'm in cover behind a wall and I can go straight into position, deploying my weapon. Not "speeded up" - just "efficient". Cool animations, too :)

NOO!! That takes the control away from the players!!, people want to spend half an hour trying to get the MG in its right position, the harder it gets, the more realistic!, any other possibility is a consolish n00bage! booo

Upvote 0

^^^ This

Well that settles this argument over MGs! We can now call this thread dead for the most part! No more need to worry. Thx Wilsonam! lol

Upvote 0
NOO!! That takes the control away from the players!!

I think your sarcasm there is kinda disrespectful. I have never seen someone complain about making something more accessible as taking away control from the players so no need to try and make fun of that. Its usually the side effects of things with good intentions that take away control from the players.

In case of mg deploying the only case that could happen is say that you want to deploy somewhere, but the system makes you automatically deploy somewhere else where you cannot see jack. Basically the fine tunings in the user friendliness. (Like you want to deploy on a door but instead you deploy on a door handle).

Now personally I think the mg system won't really have any issues but its always the side effects people will logically be afraid off. Nobody got an issue with seeing the things you can normally see with your peripheral view, people are just afraid there that the system will show enemies too easily for instance.

Or for example the automatic reload for killing floor, its there so people aren't forced to press the reload button when they want to reload. However sometimes when done you want to change weapon rather than reload, and that basically can be made impossible.

Or the automatic pick-up system in Roost, people found it hard to pick up new weaponry, as they didn't know how to pick things up etc. Binding drop and pickup to the use button made it a lot easier. Although because the weapons are close together on the ground you now often actually loose your main weapon while trying to pick-up some grenades.

Or a lot of times the complaints in the old RO were that things weren't structured and the battlefield seemed empty. By limiting the amount of cap zones you can attack at a time, you focus the battle and make it more of an epic clash type fight. However the tactical choice of how to play a battle and the diversity in the order of the battle can get lost. Its a double edged sword. In clan matches for instance the most popular maps, are maps that offer a wide amount of tactical variety.

People could easily hide in the cap zone and basically obtain the control over that area without doing any fighting. An easy way to solve this issue is to just show how big the enemy presence is in the cap zone, so you have an idea whether some people are hiding so they must really make point rather than just hide. However this system instantly alerts when someone enters the cap zone making it that everybody throws grenades at all possible entrances making it hard to surprise the enemy.

Every feature and ability is always double sided for which I respect all choices made by the devs, and if done well things will really be a great asset to the game. But its the fear of possible bad situations that make people dislike a certain feature. Only negativity isn't good but only positivity isn't good either. I think that people voicing their concerns about features can always be a good thing for the development of the game, as it'll be possible to anticipate on those fears.

The biggest issue is probably that people voicing concerns is often not too well for the hype machine on a forum. But I generally think that discussing all sorts of things is never bad, as long as we stay open to people their concerns and treat each other with respect.

The most active concerns from the community about certain features etc, are often answered in the next interviews. Which shows that TWI does read the forums. The thing however is once you know how something is and you like it, then you can only say that. Meaning there won't be a lot of room for discussion.

Surely that's some form of sarcasm or wit...?
People are just playing along as Sander seems to have missed the sarcasm ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have never seen someone complain about making something more accessible as taking away control from the players so no need to try and make fun of that.

I'm quite positive part of the whole joke is the fact how realism = being clunky and difficult. Sure there might be few things where it might actually be true, but let's say Hidden and Dangerous. Despite being quite good game (IMO), there's plenty of small stuff that downright annoys you since it's obnoxiously difficult to do, such as getting on a ladder, climbing up and looting a body in that watchtower - and there are plenty of people who argue that realism is supposed to be hard, clunky and unresponsive despite obvious problems presented in simulation's own limits compared to certain IRL stuff.

Upvote 0
Perhaps you guys need to use smilies again, because all this tongue in cheek humor is going over too many heads.

(Surely, Fedorov was just trying to be funny)

Which is exactly why I said it ;). Federov is trying to use sarcasm to make fun of people that are afraid of losing control over certain aspect in the game due to the game being made more accessible.

And all I'm basically saying in that long post of mine,is that its not the game being more accessible that people fear. Its the side effects that those features and abilities bring if you don't watch out for it. And I think that worries of people about a feature should treated with respect rather than be made fun of.

Like for instance being unable to switch weapon after you empty a clip, because you need to automatically reload. This issue is fixable by making reloading interruptible, but you need to think of the possibility of this issue to create a solution.

Nobody wants a game that's harder than it has to be, but people can prefer a clunky difficult system, over an easier system with big side effects. Its all a matter of opinion, and I just think that we should respect everybody's opinion. We don't have to agree with them, we should be able to debate about it, but we should respect them rather than try and make fun of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nobody wants a game that's harder than it has to be, but people can prefer a clunky difficult system that works, over an easy simplified system that perhaps got massive side effects. Its all a matter of opinion, and I just think that we should respect opinions. We don't have to agree with them, but we should respect them rather than try and make fun of them.

The line between tolerable and unnecessary mess of complex behaviour can be highly paradoxic. Just for the sake of example, I'll be mentioning old Silent Hill games. The combat feels like pulling your own teeth out with rusty wire cutters, but due the overall presentation and some other things which are taken into account (one being none of the main characters are combat powerhouses) and that it's supposed to be more "Welcome to mind****" horror, such unnecessarily unnatural system works quite well with that in mind despite the fact it's indeed like pulling your own teeth out with rusty wire cutters. Another example shall be Hidden and Dangerous. Again, the overall presentation and quality of the game is good, but even with its more realistic approach (generally speaking) the way some of the functions work feels like you're operating a robot that only responds whenever you hit it with a hammer. It is tolerable, but mildly annoying - especially if you want to try and decide a choice between looting a body and using an MG in the tower. This also applies for OFP in general regarding certain things.

Sometimes unnecessarily complex system can be fine if the overall chain of features or functions is not broken, but where the line is drawn can be highly subjective. RO itself has few things which are theoretically speaking simple, but due certain limitations or even the way the feature is made makes it sometimes near impossible to get it right without spending long enough time to turn into swiss cheese and since this thread's purpose is mostly to question about some of the more simplified features, it gives really odd impression regarding certain things. Part of it is due lack of exact information, but partly due that simplicity is commonly understood as arcadish, unrealistic feature.

Upvote 0
Nobody wants a game that's harder than it has to be, but people can prefer a clunky difficult system, over an easier system with big side effects. Its all a matter of opinion, and I just think that we should respect everybody's opinion. We don't have to agree with them, we should be able to debate about it, but we should respect them rather than try and make fun of them.
People should also understand that if they want innovation, then things are certainly due to change.

TWI is trying to innovate, while trying not to allienate their established user base either. So some RO fans might end up leaving the franchise, but really, where are they going to go?

Upvote 0
I would just say to the people that are worried, that you won't see in RO:HoS, stuff like:

"He shot me in the head, is nothing serious but I'm bleeding badly"

which is the really important part of realism, all complaints on simplified or easy stuff are just associations and prejudices of yours.

Upvote 0