• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 is game now totally unbalanced ?

:rolleyes:

Age old argument. But this too, will come to pass. The MG 42 is effective for just the reasons the Germans designed into it. 'Course you CAN burn out a barrel in a snap.

People need to start responding differently when they hear the "tearing linoleum" and deal with it as the Russians eventually did. In time when skilled players get tired of shredding things, the new challenge will become: "Let's slap that smile off Jerry's face." Just as it did before. And it will be a lot more satisfying. Meantime, kids will play with the new toy till they wear it out.

When this game was first released I listened to and endured three months of "The Russians can't win." Then some folks decided to change their behavior and deal with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have yet to get as many kills with the MG42 as I have in a single game with the 34. I think the 42's signature rip is just making it more obvious that someone is being shot with it. A few Russian with AVT's were racking up kills far faster.

Last nigh playing Station, I was a Hero MG42'er and got ambushed by a sneaky red devil. He took my 42 and began ambushing some 20+ of my team. No one realized it was a rouse because they naturally thought a German was shooting. After which, I was naded by team mates several times. /me embarassed.

Upvote 0
No one realized it was a rouse because they naturally thought a German was shooting. After which, I was naded by team mates several times. /me embarassed.
lol

It's a great weapon, I like that it's in game and it should be left alone. I do however think that mg gunners (for all lmgs) should have more real life limitations imposed. Heavier loadout=slower movement and only a single spare barrel.

I think it will play better in IOM without zoom. It's super easy to take down targets at the very limit of visibility now since it shoots flat and sends so many rounds down range. It's far better than a sniper rifle.

Upvote 0

When this game was first released I listened to and endured three months of "The Russians can't win." Then some folks decided to change their behavior and deal with it.

Amen brother, lol, I remember people saying things like "Russians can't hold A on grain elevator" and other similar things. Now the germans can't seem to get into A on grain elevator to save their lives. *of course I am generalizing

Upvote 0
It`s unbalanced by newcomers. Instead of capping the most of them are camping + too much teamkilling.

That's right. It's really a same to see that even on full server only 2 or 3 people stay in the cap when it was taken (and when i see that, i was one of them)
Many capzones are nearly empty because both teams have a lot of camper. And this few people who try to get into the cap can't survive the whole time.

Sometimes i see people are Camping 1m away from the cap, because there is a wall. But to win the round they have to jump above it and search for another cover to hold or take the cap.

There is no OP weapon in RO2. If the map isn't totally unbalanced it's always because of the teams and the skill of every single player. Some time you need some luck. But most of time a team will loose because no one in this team really try to get into the cap.

Even a MG-42 can be knock out by a rifle. If the player open their eyes and using some cover and their brains, instead of running the shortest way to the battlezone and again and again into the same enemy fire... or camping Somewhere on the edge. It wouldn't be so hard to win a match. No matter if german or russian team

Upvote 0
There seems to be a trend going where experienced people and people who want to try the MG42 and all go for Axis side, last week i stopped playing pretty much because the servers i like to play on all were one sided, when the map changed, i decided to see on the team selections screen what team people were going for, i noticed in the first seconds that it was already very hard to get in the axis team. I have already noticed that most people go to the German side long before the MG42 patch came around.

What about adding a Russian MG to the game? So both sides have something new? Ask the IOM team for that nice Russian MG they added.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah join IOM, we have candy and DT-29, M38, PPd-40, molotov cocktails and some new handgrenades for Russians.

And Germans lost their OP (lol) Mkb-42 on Stalingrad maps.
(Geballte Ladung instead HHL-3)

And teams are balanced most of times, everybody have fun and no allies or axis stack.

So?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There seems to be a trend going where experienced people and people who want to try the MG42 and all go for Axis side, last week i stopped playing pretty much because the servers i like to play on all were one sided, when the map changed, i decided to see on the team selections screen what team people were going for, i noticed in the first seconds that it was already very hard to get in the axis team. I have already noticed that most people go to the German side long before the MG42 patch came around.

What about adding a Russian MG to the game? So both sides have something new? Ask the IOM team for that nice Russian MG they added.
Problem is, that there isn't much things to be added for Russians. DT-29 is basically the only one that would be meaningful. The increased amount of assaults in the Allied side would also help to balance out the long-range firepower of the MG-42

The true reason why Russians beated the Germans isn't in the game (and can't be for gameplay reasons).
The manpower. Germans (hilariously) out-gunned and out-teched Soviets, but Soviets severely out-manned the Germans.
Soviets were ready for war of attrition, but Germans didn't have the necessary logistics (they did have resources).

Oh, and answer to the title: YES. EXTREMELY.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah join IOM, we have candy

And cookies! :p

On servers with zoom turned off, MG's are no longer all powerful sniping weapons as well, if they don't keep moving, marksmen can easily pick them off. I'll be curious how the mg42 plays in IOM.

I have to say, I think the molotov is a super addition: tank killer, enemy fryer and area denier.

The weapons are more balanced in the IOM.

Upvote 0

Age old argument. But this too, will come to pass. The mg 42 is effective for just the reasons the germans designed into it. 'course you can burn out a barrel in a snap.

People need to start responding differently when they hear the "tearing linoleum" and deal with it as the russians eventually did. In time when skilled players get tired of shredding things, the new challenge will become: "let's slap that smile off jerry's face." just as it did before. And it will be a lot more satisfying. Meantime, kids will play with the new toy till they wear it out.

When this game was first released i listened to and endured three months of "the russians can't win." then some folks decided to change their behavior and deal with it.

+1

Upvote 0
Problem is, that there isn't much things to be added for Russians. DT-29 is basically the only one that would be meaningful. The increased amount of assaults in the Allied side would also help to balance out the long-range firepower of the MG-42

If TWI balanced the maps it would go a long way to solving the serious imbalance. New content doesn't change fundamental map flaws.

The true reason why Russians beated the Germans isn't in the game (and can't be for gameplay reasons).
The manpower. Germans (hilariously) out-gunned and out-teched Soviets, but Soviets severely out-manned the Germans.
Soviets were ready for war of attrition, but Germans didn't have the necessary logistics (they did have resources).

Soviets also had more SMGs at Stalingrad. This should be reflected in the game to help balance out the ridiculous MkB 42 and MG42. Yes, these guns are OP, regardless of what anyone says to the contrary.

Oh, and answer to the title: YES. EXTREMELY.

It is a wonder TWI don't notice. Do they not know this or do they know it and do nothing about it?

Removing the PPSH access for Axis SLs, TL, Engineer would be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I suggested a few times that the game can be balanced if the team size depends on the map because if in WW2 Germany and Russia fought with equal number of soldiers, Germany would have won by a long shot and Russia ended up as a winner solely because of the reasons you already stated, so its pretty hard to balance such teams in therms of weaponry and tech. You just have to do it other way, Germany just had superior weapons and vehicles by that time.

Upvote 0
And cookies! :p

On servers with zoom turned off, MG's are no longer all powerful sniping weapons as well, if they don't keep moving, marksmen can easily pick them off. I'll be curious how the mg42 plays in IOM.

I have to say, I think the molotov is a super addition: tank killer, enemy fryer and area denier.

The weapons are more balanced in the IOM.

Speaking about IOM is useless in regards to RO2 balance.

IOM draws its players from RO2.

If RO2 is significantly imbalanced (which it is) then new players don't stay long enough in the community to try IOM.

IOM therefore dies.

Maybe speak about what could be done to RO2 to balance it?

Upvote 0
I think the maps are fine, the problems are due to human nature and game play choices.

Human nature - players stack axis for whatever reasons. Already discussed to death.

Game play choices - If the game was set up in a more realistic manner, it would be more balanced. No or less zoom,, slower and terrain dependent movement speed means weapons have greater comparitive strengths and weaknesses. Rifles rule at a distance, smg's up close. Snipers are the best at sniping. LMG's are the best for suppression and area deniall.

No mkb's and more smg's to allied.

spread the battle out, no spawn on SL.

I know this because after playing Realism, Classic and IOM extensively, maps play very differently in Realism, the bias is often reversed.

TWI would respond to this thread by saying their stats show an even win/loss ratio on all maps over time. Which could be true for all I know. It is very unlikely they will make any changes to maps since this imbalance happens after every patch/free weekend.

I think it will be more effective to support the community and admins who are working towards more realistic gameplay, which in turn leads to more balance.

Upvote 0
I have yet to even use the MG42 for myself, since autoselect hasn't put on axis since the recent update, but from the Russian point of view, it's essentially the same thing as the MG34, just sounds a bit scarier.

However, since most people are desperate to get their hands on it, it is certainly a major factor in Axis bias recently, which is why I stand by the suggestion from the assault class thread that Russians should get more assaults than the Germans, giving Russia a small edge in close quarters, while Germans get their rapid fire LMGs to give them the edge at long range.

Upvote 0
I think it's more about the players than the maps. I like attacking on Rakowice for example and if you have people that know what they are doing it's not THAT hard to take B. Since the last update a lot of noobs seem to join rus side. I usually play there as I hate easy wins. But losing in 5-10 min isnt fun either. There are just so many people on rus side that dont listen to reason/advice. So many points just lost in a very fast fashion just because not enough people are in the capzone. Also I see for like 2 weeks straight the same people on axis playing with MG-42 EVERY SINGLE DAY. I already know their freaking positions on every map. It's pretty sad.

Also the merc guys are pretty bad imo but they do tip the scale in favor of axis. I cant say I see them that much on Last Stand.

Upvote 0
I think it's the players. Veterans more or less consciously coordinate their actions. I will give a few examples, as Russians:

- Apartments.

I was with a few other sharpshooters covering windows so our guys have clear approach without having to worry about enemies picking them up from the above. I was using microphone and noting positions where enemy was spotted. As soon as I did this the enemies were gone, because multiple friendlies were instantly firing at their position.

- Commissar's House.

We were attempting to clear out B after taking A (or to prevent fire from B to A, I can't recall and it ultimately doesn't matter). We had problem approaching, because enemy shooters were overwatching the approach. I stood on the left flank and started to give covering fire, to tie down enemy shooters and thus give others a chance to approach the objective. Later a few other guys joined me and we managed to lock down this area for enemy, because they were too few to take out all of us while we were able to kill them due to superior firepower.

- Bridges of Druzhina.

We are coming deeper into the city. Left side. I spotted enemy peeking out from cover to take out advancing guys. So I stayed behind and aimed where I knew he'd appear. He tried to kill our squad leader (and there were two other people with him), but my shot killed him first.

...and that shows how important this is in order to progress. Sometimes you shouldn't attack, but cover area instead, so others can approach and reinforce the assault. Sometimes staying with your MG operator is better (especially as bolt-action rifleman, or a few of such), because enemy has more targets and we're more likely to take him down without losing our MG operator or - at the very least - pick up his weapon and continue doing his job.

But in game I rarely see MGs giving covering fire. I rarely see sharpshooters covering advance of other soldier. I myself had problems into getting squad leaders into giving artillery coordinates, thus delaying accurate support that could've helped people trying to capture or hold the objectives. In my opinion European servers are biased towards Germans, because players "like" to play as them and are more experienced than the opposite team, which ends up consisting of leftovers who aren't as experienced or skilled, or simply less willing to think of others during the course of the match.

MG having zoom and being too accurate (same goes for submachineguns) is entirely another matter and it's more tied to how realistic mechanic produces unrealistic (or less fun) gameplay. MG should be providing stopping or covering fire. Not act like a sniper rifle with a single fire bullet mode. Submachine gun should be up front, not in the back, used as elite rifle. Many maps are unsuited to give more balanced gameplay for all classes too (mostly all stock Stalingrad maps). And so on, and so on.

Upvote 0