• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency... A modern RO? (merged)

after all that frustration i got with Resistance And Liberation (it brought back to my mind the laggy hitbox detection and other source engine's flaws, i didnt hit **** plus the free aim was kinda awkwardly done and the overall movement felt clunky) i wanted another try at INS and found out they

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dont think they implented ballistics yet, as some people say the source engine isnt suited for that and shooting at distances that are represented in the game doesnt need ballistics anyway.
didnt they have some sort of ballistics in HL2, though? i mean you could watch the bullets fly towards you and it wasn't just cosmetic. i wonder why they keep telling us the source engine couldnt handle this.
doesnt really matter to me, though. i dont reject a game because it lacks a ballistic model like RO has. i dont think it takes that much of an influence on RO, either. you have bullets penetrating walls and objects in INS, though which i would consider to be a bigger advantage gameplaywise than having "real time bullet ballistics" instead, tbh.

Upvote 0
I could force myself to play it every now and then if the maps werent made out of just chokepoint after chokepoint.
Nothing kills the fun more for me then chokepoints.

Yup that the bigges "funkiller" for me too. The maps have some nice visuals but the design gemplaywise is crap. RnL had done a better job with that, no chockepoints there.

Upvote 0
you're right. map design really isnt the best part of the game. they added 2 new maps, though iirc. how things turn out depends on the teams you are playing with, though. one of the new map is quite linear and the USMC have to capture a bridge first to enter a small village later. one time i played that map, my whole US-team wasn't able to cross the area between the bridge and the village because we were pinned down and everyone trying to cross that area was shot from god knows where in the village (sucky, but intense gameplay experience!). there was no chokepoint, but it still was impossible since our snipers sucked *** and no one realized that you could flank the village from the right. next time i played that map as an insurgent, we were overrun by the americans. you just didnt know where you would face the enemy as soon as they entered the village since there really werent any chokepoints. still i wouldnt call that map design perfect. as soon as one team gets a slight upper hand, everything's lost.

Upvote 0
INS is due to be released on Steam:
http://www.insmod.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17650

Apparently Valve selected some mods to get Steam distribution for free: Synergy, D.I.P.R.I.P., Age of Chivalry and Zombie Panic.

Excellent news, it will autoupdate when any new releases come :)
I've been playing 2.1 a bit, and find it pretty fun for short playsessions at least.

Upvote 0