• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Instead of releasing character packs DLCs

i like TWI, because they arent like valve who started being a gamer for gamers company and become a EA Like thing with tf2 and l4d lol.

thats why i like killing floor and red orchesta, i like to buy char dlcs but why i will buy a map pack when there are a lots of maps out there whitelisted?.

PD: your map pack whitelisted maybe isnt whitelisted anymore.

Upvote 0
Care to explain why?

Unless they cripple the game when they launch it and only after the players bought the "DLC"s the players don't experience the game at its fullest. That's ridiculous.

*sigh*

The amount of content you're permitted to access defines the fullness of your experience. Limiting some of the game-changing content to the people who pay for it effectively splits the community and douses the full gameplay experience that could've been for everyone in the form of free updates. TWI wouldn't change this. All the content for RO has been free, as with KF and soon RO2.

unless it's something like TF2 weapons like black box, which gives the players with more cash advantages I don't see how maps could've split the community.

Good. But they shouldn't; probably wouldn't be given a price tag.

yeah. better keep yourself busy with additional content you can't really enjoy other than how player see you in-game or the nice variety of different hands :|

Enjoy the hands, m8 :D

It's a pretty bad idea, still. If TWI make maps a paid thing, that will stop the community from making more. If it doesn't, then TWI will spend all this time on the game-changing content and no-one will feel very inclined to buy it when they look at the quality of the maps by Fel, Dextronaut, SlaveK, Kick3r, Murphy and many, many others that the KF community just love. Also, if only TWI releases maps, community goodwill and the amount of work done on the SDK goes down the toilet.

This again. "Will". Seems like you have the ability to predict the future or something?

Read your post again about the history of KF. The added maps on the patch were a contest winner. 10000 price. I bet tons entered the contest and only few has chosen. How it will be any different?

Still, with the free updates, free maps are still scattered everywhere and some are properly whitelisted.

Remember, I never suggested anything about blocking out community-created maps.

That's beside the point. The point is that there's no need to make a game alike to another. That's why different games are made. That's why you play the different game instead of attempting to poke TWI into the direction of making the two share features.

I don't recall asking to transform KF into COD.

I think you should also appreciate the fact that it's free and it has made thousands of people happy instead of you asking for to be able to pay for them. Sure, we all like supporting TWI, but that's because of the freebies they offer so we support them by paying for cosmetics. IW, EA, Treyarch and others don't do that, do they? Nobody particulary wants to support them, they just want the content and occasionally moan about the price tag.

I appreciate em. But instead of characters for DLC I would prefer something that can add/extend replayability to the game, but not necessarily changing the game/ruin the balance.

Oh great, that's just a few people who aren't hit by the ****ty end of the stick. Mappers get money. Some mappers try really hard and get outshined by another and nobody ever enjoys their product. The playing community has to spend money and miss out on many potential maps that could've been there.

um. probably 4th time I said this. I never suggested anything about blocking out community-created maps :confused:

The character packs are the support. The maps are given to the playing community to make players want to support TWI and also, be appreciative of the free stuff TWI give.

To my POV would've been better if it were switched. Characters for free. They don't extend replayability of the game in any way.

Your loss.

Correct! You don't lose anything. So... remind me why are we arguing here?

Because some things need experimenting with. That was the experiment, it got it's result and people are glad that it did.

Specimentation Versus wasn't overly interesting (as in the novelty of playing as ZEDs was great, but short-lived) and the more basic kind of PVP FPS was made and it proved to be pointless.

so again why did the mutator came out the first place anyway?

Don't forget Killing Floor. It's most definitely not shortlived - it was originally a mod made in 2005 which got popular very fast and it was then picked up by TWI and made into their official game. Learn your history.

Yeap. UT2004 mod. I learn histories but I don't focus on videogames. There're more important things in life than playing games you know.

I posted honest statements and opinions, which are shared with me by many, to a thread that has cropped up too many times to count. You're not the first person I and others have been dealing with on this matter. You're now backing down because you know, like most others, the PVP elements became a failure after testing. It's not me "winning" It's just a fact floating all over the forum that many have come to terms with.

I'm not backing down. I thought I've said it clearly in my first post. You don't like PvP then don't post here. And yet you're b*tching around here in my thread, and that... even if you know the idea was scraped already. So I don't get what is your point of arguing here is? Probably you just love doing it. I dunno.

And you choose to do the same. Point?

Read the above :D

Cheers.

Reactions: Angry Hillbilly
Upvote 0
ok lets stop the fighting. I'm having trouble following along already.

From what i get: You(the op) is asking for buy able map packs and gametypes. There is a couple reasons why this won't happen. First twi has already stated that they will not release dlc that will split up the community.

Second, even if they did release charged dlc maps, what would stop players from cache ripping or joining servers and downloading said maps? Twi would have to modify killing floor to make it so they could enforce the payment.

Honestly what i would rather see is polished(whitelisted final versions)/exploit inspected maps be wrapped up into a steam download for killing floor. It would make community map packs easily accessible to server admins and players and might give server admins a reason to run the packs.

yes. This! Rep+

Upvote 0
Yeah I prefer KF to be free too along with all the character DLCs and hundreds of properly whitelisted maps that goes under strict quality control.

But TWI team need to eat too you know.

lol they are releasing more games you know? updating and supporting old games make people actually BUY those games and buy dlcs for thats games(like the chars dlcs), they dont need those map packs tactics like mw2 or the new cod

Upvote 0
i like TWI, because they arent like valve who started being a gamer for gamers company and become a EA Like thing with tf2 and l4d lol.

IF TWI do grow larger, having corporate, income oriented goals would've been necessary. Otherwise, they'll dead and ended up in bankcruptcy.

Both Valve and TWI are a bit similar... at least on how they do business earlier on.

Valve picked HL mods and make em official while TWI picked Unreal mods and make em official.

I love both company's attitude. I still receive most source game updates to this second. And so does TWI game (KF specifically).

I prefer this kind of business practice. When their game is successful, they keep supporting it. When it's got potential they will do anything to polish the game further. When it's not, well, that's life and leave it dead so they can move on to another one.

thats why i like killing floor and red orchesta, i like to buy char dlcs but why i will buy a map pack when there are a lots of maps out there whitelisted?.

PD: your map pack whitelisted maybe isnt whitelisted anymore.

Since there're thousands of them out there and unless you have waaay to many spare time to playtest em you'll end up playing the crappy ones?

Upvote 0
Since there're thousands of them out there and unless you have waaay to many spare time to playtest em you'll end up playing the crappy ones?

lol i dont play too many customs maps, why? i dont know. And if i download a map i download one that people actually play, and play and play a lot more just like.... well doom2 xD.

and about this:
IF TWI do grow larger, having corporate, income oriented goals would've been necessary. Otherwise, they'll dead and ended up in bankcruptcy.

lol wut? since when a company has to release dlc for dont end in backcruptcy? a company of games live making games and supporting just like is doing TWI just now lol

Upvote 0

Exactly why they are a very successful company and own two hit games. And like you said before to Gibby's post, I never new you can predit the future.

Valve picked HL mods and make em official while TWI picked Unreal mods and make em official.

Actually TWI only did that for one mod, Killing Floor, not Red Orchestra mod of which they made.

I love both company's attitude. I still receive most source game updates to this second. And so does TWI game (KF specifically).

Probably because TWI is a smaller company and Red Orchestra isn't as a recent as Killing Floor is.

I prefer this kind of business practice. When their game is successful, they keep supporting it. When it's got potential they will do anything to polish the game further. When it's not, well, that's life and leave it dead so they can move orn to another one.

When it's not they release content packs for free to keep people playing and perhaps draw in more customers to buy the game then you would than having to pay for both the game and the pack.

Define: "Crappy ones"

Answers are in the bold font.

Upvote 0
*sigh*

Did you even read what he said?

unless it's something like TF2 weapons like black box, which gives the players with more cash advantages I don't see how maps could've split the community.

Were talking about PVP splitting the community.

yeah. better keep yourself busy with additional content you can't really enjoy other than how player see you in-game or the nice variety of different hands :|

Enjoy the hands, m8 :D

Actually the variert of how you see yourself in game is what we want and the paying for it won't split the community because it just changes how we see ourselves in game. Making us pay for map/content packs will no doubt split the community because all the other players miss out on it and a lot of the good servers will be running with these content packs and people who can't afford don't have these won't be able to join.

This again. "Will". Seems like you have the ability to predict the future or something?

Actually it is a based off facts and previous conclusions by both TWI and the community.

I don't recall asking to transform KF into COD.

We don't recall suggesting that you were saying that. We were suggesting that you were asking to add a gametype from COD into KF.

I appreciate em. But instead of characters for DLC I would prefer something that can add/extend replayability to the game, but not necessarily changing the game/ruin the balance.

And what would be that?

To my POV would've been better if it were switched. Characters for free. They don't extend replayability of the game in any way.

That's not the point of the character packs, that's the point of the FREE content packs.

Correct! You don't lose anything. So... remind me why are we arguing here?

I was just about to ask that question seeing as you started it.

so again why did the mutator came out the first place anyway?

It wasn't decided by the community and this was WAAAY before we had this PVP dicussion.

Yeap. UT2004 mod. I learn histories but I don't focus on videogames. There're more important things in life than playing games you know.

Hmm exactly why your obsessing over a new feature for something that doesn't interest you.

I'm not backing down. I thought I've said it clearly in my first post. You don't like PvP then don't post here. And yet you're b*tching around here in my thread, and that... even if you know the idea was scraped already. So I don't get what is your point of arguing here is? Probably you just love doing it. I dunno.

I guess nobody can post that means ;) Arguing is human nature.
Cheers.

My well responses are in the bold font.

Upvote 0
But TWI already released a free PvP mode for KF called:
Defense Alliance 2
Let us see how that did...
What about the KF deathmatch mod...
I thought so.

Killing floor's unique appeal as a co-op arcade-y realistic survival game calls for unique gamemodes like mission maps and such. What a way to waste potential with generic additions.

I like PvP gametypes. KF doesn't have PvP. I'm ok with this since I will play one of my PvP game for PvP. I still play KF just as much anyway, not that TWI makes money on how much I play.

Upvote 0
My well responses are in the bold font.

Sorry I don't reply to attention seeker. If you want to get attention go post somewhere else or make your own topic. Don't junk in my thread. Your lack of understanding of my suggestions have derailed MY thread.

Yes, because Exorio is acting like a massively ignorant idiot.
Seriously, trying to prove EVERYONE wrong and himself right?
Total stupidity...

u mad?

Now you're acting like a crybaby. You're started doing personal attack here.

I don't force you to come here. You went to this topic by your own. I don't need to prove anything. Each side have their own opinion. You have your right to say your opinion I have mine. Fair enough?

Everyone? Nope. Just the trolls who got lack of reading skills. That's probably less than 10 in this thread (I dunno. Count em yourself. I'm too lazy to do such useless task) out of +5000 players recorded by steam stat. What makes that bunch of trolls fall into the cathegory of "everyone"? You disagreed with someone and represent yourself as "everyone". Very mature.

And I would bet not all players those +5000 players registered in this forum too.

Which one did you disagreed into?

PvP? Somebody said TWI has scraped it. So why does it bothering you so much?

Map packs as payed DLC? The only good argument I get is it'll kill the mapper community. I've broke em and it's pretty much nonsense. Others are pretty much self-explained : they are taking that I'm suggesting transforming KF into COD (huh :confused:) or some attention whore take it that I wanted COD game mode in KF. WTF really? Since when did I suggested that? Talk about stupidity eh?

And I have agreed on other alternative suggested by slavek such as including the selected ones in the steam page.

Oh I don't care about rep. in this forum.

And dude.
He was only giving his POV of you suggestion. Posting a suggestion on this forum in general results responses of all kind. Both negative and positive.

yep. apparently the above guys can't take a little heat.

cheers.

Upvote 0
But TWI already released a free PvP mode for KF called:
Defense Alliance 2
Let us see how that did...
What about the KF deathmatch mod...
I thought so.

Killing floor's unique appeal as a co-op arcade-y realistic survival game calls for unique gamemodes like mission maps and such. What a way to waste potential with generic additions.

I appreciate civilized response.

As being said, PvP was scraped. And apparently guys in this forum hated PvP soooo much.

I'm just suggesting something that would please both side. Deliver it as DLC. The co-op zealots aren't bothered and PvP lovers with extra bucks can enjoy KF weapons in deathmatch.

I like PvP gametypes. KF doesn't have PvP. I'm ok with this since I will play one of my PvP game for PvP. I still play KF just as much anyway, not that TWI makes money on how much I play.

Back to the first purpose of this topic.

Yeah I'm okay with it too. I've realized the frequenters hated PvP so much so all the above response are anticipated. So this goes to my second idea/suggestion. Map packs as the paid DLCs.

I don't really see how character DLCs would've extend the game replayability. And yet the only things you get in-game are new portraits, new bios, and new hands. That doesn't really extend the game replayability through the players investments.

Yes, the community has thousands of maps out there, but being said... I won't mind spending couple of bucks to extend KF replayability. And not everyone has the willingness or time scavenging forums and game file hosting to get some quality, decent maps that work properly.

Sure there're hat lovers out there, but seriously :confused:

As how it will affect the mappers? well some guy said the official maps included in the previous patch was actually entries to map competition. And he's exagerrating and overimagining of how the mappers would've starved to death if only TWI releases official map packs. Well, the last pacth that include the maps don't really seem to affect the mappers.

cheers.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing this up. I was beginning to think that you actually though you were contributing positively to these forums.

replied yours before I had the chance to catch up with your post.

just pointing out the trolls. I got personal attack and you actually require me to just take the attack openheartedly? :|

the same guy actually accusing me of owning pirated version of KF in my old thread.

I would've love to see how you would response to that in case you're got that kind of accusation.

But whatever.

Upvote 0
just pointing out the trolls.

Lol.

I appreciate civilized response.

LOL.

As how it will affect the mappers? well some guy said the official maps included in the previous patch was actually entries to map competition. And he's exagerrating and overimagining of how the mappers would've starved to death if only TWI releases official map packs. Well, the last pacth that include the maps don't really seem to affect the mappers.

Yeah, it doesn't affect the mappers now, because all the mappers are still allowed to release their maps publicly. You're very slow at catching on, aren't you?

This guy is comedy gold! :IS2:

Upvote 0
Yeah, it doesn't affect the mappers now, because all the mappers are still allowed to release their maps publicly. You're very slow at catching on, aren't you?

This guy is comedy gold! :IS2:

since when a suggestion of releasing map packs as paid DLCs "automatically include" the suggestion of banning community maps publicly? :confused:

I don't recall me suggesting banning community maps available in public aswell. :confused:

Can you point at my post that I suggested ban on community maps availability?

have fun trolling? good. move on, buddy.

Reactions: armando92
Upvote 0
To clear this out. This is my suggestion :

Whitelisted maps FROM the COMMUNITY, handpicked and polished further as official DLCs.

How on earth that would kill the mappers community? Plz explain?

Probably it would drive the professional mappers aswell, since now they could have financial reward from TWI.

And banning/blocking the community built maps availability ARE NOT included in my suggestion. I don't know how many times I've said this already in this very thread.

Really man. I'm puzzled with your way of thinking. And where did you get that idea of the official map DLCs automatically ban the maps publicly available?

Why would people bother buy the map packs if there're free version available out there? Since not everyone got the time/energy to scavenge every maps available out there which is said to be 1000+ in number. Probably the majority of people out there. Not all people are hardcore gamers.

Either that above, or what Slavek suggested. Make it available on KF steam page.

Kinda like this alternative. From the community for the community. Vote for the best maps and place it on steam.

I would prefer my own suggestion tho, since with investments from players TWI could have more reason to polish the maps. And players who willing to spend their extra bucks to support KF get the replayability (instead of hands) and polished maps in exchange.

there.

It's not that I intend to prove myself the most righteous person in the earth, and everyone's wrong but some of the arguments are rather plain silly or carried out with emotions... thus my points was misunderstood.

cheers.

Upvote 0