• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Important perk tips and tricks for players

Generic wave 10 tactic.

1. Find a door.
  2. Have your demo put one pipe outside, two inside.
  3. Weld door.
  4. First pipe will take out the initial group, possibly the FP if you're lucky in low difficulty.
  5. When weld gets to around 30% start unwelding while spamming the open door button.
  6. With just a little luck the door will come open unharmed. The double pipes will kill the FP (that is always there at beginning of 10) and leave enough of a "hole" in the mass of zeds that you can reclose the door and get a small weld on it.
  7. Have demo place two more pipes. (or use your own this time)
  8. Backup, wait till a crowd builds.
  9. Grenade door open.
With a little luck this will knockout the opening rush, turn things in to a more controlled stream, and save everyone some much needed ammo for later.

If that door remains intact you can do a reclose at any time to buy everyone 20 seconds to reload & heal.

Upvote 0
Stockpiling low-ammo weapons like the Flamethrower is actually a good idea. Only problem with it as seen in this thread is how many morons on pubs just sell the weapon. Part of why I only play with friends :rolleyes:

I'm playing last night and all I want is ONE extra flamethrower for round 9/10. I had to throw down no less than six of them just to get that one!

Some guy is asking me for money and I'm like, "dude, I need my money to buy flamethrowers so your dumbass can keep selling them. Knock it off and we'll talk."

Upvote 0
I'm playing last night and all I want is ONE extra flamethrower for round 9/10. I had to throw down no less than six of them just to get that one!

Some guy is asking me for money and I'm like, "dude, I need my money to buy flamethrowers so your dumbass can keep selling them. Knock it off and we'll talk."

Speaking of this, as Sharpshooter i tend to not drop or resell weapons.

One time yesterday i was playing on a pub game on Icebreaker. The team was competent and were friendly and knew how to play. There was a firebug stacking FTs and i dropped a few Xbows because i had the money, and no-one asked for any. Then this noob comes in as demo, he sells one FT and one Xbow and blows himself up by shooting in close range, then next wave standing on his pipes. Then he goes spamshooter and fails hard.

So my point is, i don't drop or sell/rebuy my guns, because i have a sentimental attachment :D to the weapons i have and because like you said, retards pick them up and sell them without asking for money first. :(

I forgot where i was going with this but i sympathise with your FT looting pub teammates.

Reactions: smilin
Upvote 0
Speaking of this, as Sharpshooter i tend to not drop or resell weapons.

One time yesterday i was playing on a pub game on Icebreaker. The team was competent and were friendly and knew how to play. There was a firebug stacking FTs and i dropped a few Xbows because i had the money, and no-one asked for any. Then this noob comes in as demo, he sells one FT and one Xbow and blows himself up by shooting in close range, then next wave standing on his pipes. Then he goes spamshooter and fails hard.

So my point is, i don't drop or sell/rebuy my guns, because i have a sentimental attachment :D to the weapons i have and because like you said, retards pick them up and sell them without asking for money first. :(

I forgot where i was going with this but i sympathise with your FT looting pub teammates.

Yes. Those who take my weapons better use them.

Either ask for money or don't, but never sell my guns.

I also hate it when your low on cash, its suicidal, you've died due to some lvl0 noob, who then continues to sell your weapon.

Upvote 0
A very trivial but important (the more the higher the difficulty is) general tip I'd like to see added is:

Don't kill the last 1-2 enemies (preferably clots) before getting near the trader! There are obvious reasons for this:
  • Less stress for everyone (remember, there is always someone who is doing things slower than you are...)
  • People need the trader time to transport & stockpile weapons to the camping spot
  • People need the trader time to prepare the camping spot or other important spots: dropping pipes, welding doors, etc.
  • People need the trader time to return to the camping spot (if you got one)!! Wipeouts on hard/suicidal on high waves often result from the team being separated after the trader time. There is nothing worse than 3 mates already being back at the camping spot while the other 3 are still 100+ meters away...

Upvote 0
Yes. Those who take my weapons better use them.

Either ask for money or don't, but never sell my guns.

I also hate it when your low on cash, its suicidal, you've died due to some lvl0 noob, who then continues to sell your weapon.

I will create a new section called "Killing Floor etiquette" for this kind of thing. :)

A very trivial but important (the more the higher the difficulty is) general tip I'd like to see added is:

Don't kill the last 1-2 enemies (preferably clots) before getting near the trader! There are obvious reasons for this:
  • Less stress for everyone (remember, there is always someone who is doing things slower than you are...)
  • People need the trader time to transport & stockpile weapons to the camping spot
  • People need the trader time to prepare the camping spot or other important spots: dropping pipes, welding doors, etc.
  • People need the trader time to return to the camping spot (if you got one)!! Wipeouts on hard/suicidal on high waves often result from the team being separated after the trader time. There is nothing worse than 3 mates already being back at the camping spot while the other 3 are still 100+ meters away...

Added!

Upvote 0
Ok, that's another sizable update!

I'm going to PM a moderator to ask to change this thread title to "The guide to Killing Floor perks, gameplay and etiquette!"

Yes, this is transforming into a perfect KF guidebook.

If only you had to read the etiquette part before playing the game. That would make Public servers so much better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, this is transforming into a perfect KF guidebook.

If only you had to read the etiquette part before playing the game. That would make Public servers so much better.

Thanks. :):IS2:

I think I may make an e-book sometime that you can compare to one of Prima's official guidebooks. :)

(and I say e-book so it can be updated when TWI adds new content and changes certain values. :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. :):IS2:

I think I may make an e-book sometime that you can compare to one of Prima's official guidebooks. :)

(and I say e-book so it can be updated when TWI adds new content and changes certain values. :p)

And it would probably be extremely popular, due to how in-depth it is.

However, if you plan on making a 'strategy guide', I also suggest adding some tips (but not exploits) for the core maps.

If you ever make it, I will gladly help to make sure that it is truly the ultimate of all KF guides.:)

Despite the fact that this here already trumps most online guides:D:IS2:

Reactions: C_Gibby
Upvote 0
One bit of etiquette that the flamethrower scalper discussion reminds me of:

Please don't drop empty weapons!

One wave 11 I ran out of ammo as demo, then grabbed a nearby one of - many - flamethrowers lying around. All empty - the firebug apparently had the excellent idea of dropping them so he could get to the trader faster or something. The patty caught up with me and I died without dealing him any further damage. Very disappointing.

Upvote 0
And it would probably be extremely popular, due to how in-depth it is.

However, if you plan on making a 'strategy guide', I also suggest adding some tips (but not exploits) for the core maps.

If you ever make it, I will gladly help to make sure that it is truly the ultimate of all KF guides.:)

Despite the fact that this here already trumps most online guides:D:IS2:

:D:D:D:D

Thanks! :) I've used up my vote quota today, but I will vote this one ASAP.

If there's anything that would really need doing for a many-paged guide for KF, it'd be a few diagrams, some stat tables, damage charts, weapon descriptions and some maps-of-maps. e.g. every floor of KF-Biotics Lab can be mapped out. (It's hell getting around that map when you're a newbie)

When I finally take some time to get this whole thing written, I'll PM you. :)

Also, Vaecrius, added to the list! That also comes with ammo-sharing and some other general etiquette.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:D:D:D:D

Thanks! :) I've used up my vote quota today, but I will vote this one ASAP.

If there's anything that would really need doing for a many-paged guide for KF, it'd be a few diagrams, some stat tables, damage charts, weapon descriptions and some maps-of-maps. e.g. every floor of KF-Biotics Lab can be mapped out. (It's hell getting around that map when you're a newbie)

When I finally take some time to get this whole thing written, I'll PM you. :)

Also, Vaecrius, added to the list! That also comes with ammo-sharing and some other general etiquette.

Yay:)

And Im pretty sure that there is a thread in general with some maps.

But Ill make sure to go straight to work preparing for your arrival
(that was a rather subtle refernce there)

Last edited:
Reactions: C_Gibby
Upvote 0
It's nothing new to the Berserker veterans I guess, but there may be some valuable information for all others who are not so accustomed to the Berserker perk..

Crawlers can be a real pain in the a.ss for a Berserker. So here's some advice how to properly deal with them using the Berserker perk:

Basics:

• ALWAYS crouch when hitting a crawler, they got some pretty small hitboxes!
  • NEVER fight crawlers on stairways from upside-down! There is a glitch that you will somehow walk UPON the crawler (as its hitbox is so small) and he will damage you, while you can't properly hit him! Can be death within seconds on hard/suicidal!
  • IF you got the possibility to fight crawlers on a stair downside-up, crouch on the 3rd-to-2nd highest step (below the "edge"). There is a chance that the crawlers will jump too early and land right in front of you (or even won't jump at all) where you can then strike them easily without getting hit.
  • NEVER fight crawlers with other weapons than the katana. The chainsaw can do the job on easy/medium, but it won't kill the crawlers fast enough on hard/suicidal! The slow axe is ok for a single crawler, but not so if you face a group of them. The knife is ok damage-wise, but has a small range, so it's harder to hit properly.
  • USE your speed-boost as Berserker, the crawlers are some of the faster zeds coming at you.
  • KNOW the Crawler spawn points on maps like office, biolabs, bedlam and so on. AVOID standing below vents etc. where they will jump down on you before you are able to swing at them!
  • IF you can't step back because you are somehow "stuck" there's a HIGH possibility that a crawler or stalker is right behind you. Quickly turn + crouch-strike so get the free space!
Tactics:

a) If you got the time & space: The "Crawler-Dance" - Move slightly towards the crawler, to trigger their jump-attack, then, before they are mid-air, quickly step back 2-3 steps so that the crawler will land right in front of you without hitting you, then crouch and kill that little bastard. When a crawler has landed, he will try to gut you a 2nd time, so your first strike must hit (at least on hard/survival)!

b) If you got no time (other zeds): Try to let another zed come between you and the crawler. The crawler will try to jump-attack you, but he won't reach you. Now quickly get rid of the zed (decapitate) and kill the crawler right after that with the crouch-strike. The crawler's jump-attack won't be ready for another time if you are fast enough. It takes some practice, yes, but this way you can "chain"-kill a mixed group of crawlers and other zeds (clots/stalkers/gorefasts) without getting damage. Clot-Crawler-Gorefast-Gorefast-Crawler-Stalker-Crawler etc. pp.

c) If you got no space: This is indeed the situation where a ranged backup weapons comes in very handy. If you got none or your pistol is empty/unloaded, then try to hit the crawler mid-air while he's jumping at you. It takes very much practice and good reflexes to trigger your strike the right moment, but it is do-able without getting harmed! If you face a group of stalkers, you certainly will get damaged, so quickly try to get rid of them before they wear off your armor/health too much.

d) Special situations: You can't have a tactic for every situation KF throws at you, so just be aware of the other zed's abilities and decide which ones to take out first. Crawlers ARE very annoying though, so they are pretty high on my priority list in almost every situation. Keep in mind that you can carry at least one other ranged weapon, and the cheap ones (Bullpup, Shotgun, Mp7, ...) are very much sufficient damage-wise for those creepy crawlies, even as Berserker!

Reactions: smilin
Upvote 0
Basics:

• ALWAYS crouch when hitting a crawler, they got some pretty small hitboxes!
  • NEVER fight crawlers with other weapons than the katana. The chainsaw can do the job on easy/medium, but it won't kill the crawlers fast enough on hard/suicidal! The slow axe is ok for a single crawler, but not so if you face a group of them. The knife is ok damage-wise, but has a small range, so it's harder to hit properly.

You don't need to crouch to deal with crawlers. Really, you shouldn't crouch anyways as you either will lose your speed or be standing still for a brief moment. Looking downwards to attack is a better option as this allows you to keep your movement at a constant speed. An alternrative way is to hit the crawlers midair with your melee weapon. The timing is tricky to learn but it's fun to play baseball, and looks cool during ZED time.

All melee weapons are fine against crawlers as they can 1 shot them on any difficulty. The pause after the crawler leap is enough for you to run up and kill them. Or if you've mastered the swing time on each melee weapon, you could attempt a mid air kill.

Upvote 0