• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Immersive Intro Warm-Up Phases

-Moody-

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2014
www.youtube.com
I was playing an unknown map to me in Rising Storm the other day and played completely without HUD. The feeling was great not knowing how the map is constructed but I had problems estemating where the actualFrontline was because I did not know the map.

Then I've thought of the WarmUp-Phases in other shooters and thought they're quite boring. It's just a countdown and you can't even move in RS2. Although sometimes it felt really great playing the Squad Leader/Commander and hearing the long speech of honor before the battle and I had an idea, but it isn't easy to achieve though:

I thought of a Warm-Up Phase where the attackers are landing on the map and the defenders are commanded to spread and defend on certain points. Some kind of a animated last briefing or landing scene which is scripted and almost unique on every map before the round starts. And commander/squad leader reminds everyone what they should do and what the plan is. It would be quite interesting if those intro scenes could teach you about the historical background of the map etc.

Not very important stuff, gameplay goes first! But it would be very interesting for such a game.

Oosterbeek is more disorienting, at least for me.
You guys finding the HOTW maps disorienting is rather an illusion than them actually being disorienting. Because you haven't played unfamiliar maps in RO2/RS for long long times.
The more you play the HOTW maps the more you will realize that this is true and they aren't actually that disorienting.
Just get known to them. Osterbeek isn't really badly disorienting.

Upvote 0
Yeah if you play omaha beach in this game you come in on the boats while the germans set up a defense.
That ain't no introductory cutscene.
That's the boring wait traveling from spawn to the shore. While getting shot at... and shooting at.
A cutscene would be you spawning in the boat, the camera panning away from the boat, going up into the air, traveling to each objective and giving a general outline or comments on it's strength, layout, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's the boring wait traveling from spawn to the shore. While getting shot at... and shooting at.
A cutscene would be you spawning in the boat, the camera panning away from the boat, going up into the air, traveling to each objective and giving a general outline or comments on it's strength, layout, etc.

He wants it to be first person.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this in first person. It would work if your commander/squad leader reminds everyone again what to do and goes the introduction to the map along with something happening... In RS2 it could be flying a helicopter to the battlefield from the american fraction. As vietnamese it just could be a last meeting of soldiers before they run to their positions.

Upvote 0