• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Yeah, throttle was the first thing I tried but it still takes a long time to actually slow down. I'll try that rudder rocking back and forth thing though, thanks. Does the airbreak actually do anything or is it useless? Every time i've tried it nothing much seems to happen, even by using it in conjunction with pulling back on the throttle.

One other thing i'm finding difficult is keeping track of my opponents (I refuse to use external view). Is it possible to map the smooth mouse control to my X45 throttle? I couldn't seem to find it in the controls config so I assumed the mouse is just automatically mapped to the pilots view. I do have pilot view mapped to one of the thumb pads on the joystick, but it leaves alot to be desired as it only allows you to view a couple of preset locations in the cockpit and isn't smooth like the mouse.

Despite my noobness I definately love the game thus far though, I'm glad I invested in a quality joystick as well.

Upvote 0
sorry if this has been posted before but i haven't read all 8 pages of this thread but if you want IL-2 essentials then look here for all the links.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959
Airwarfare is one of the best sites there is for all flight sims as it has reviews missions,flight guides and how to set the game up including graphic and .ini file tweaks.
Hyperlobby is the server you want to go to fly on, all the main squads fly there and you will always get help in the chat menu if you are genuine and polite.
If you want imersion then get yourself a Track IR unit. Pity RO doesn't support this as it is one of the best peices of kit i have for the flight sim, no need for hat switch or mouse, just move your head to pan around the skies, most serious flight simmers in Il-2 have one and i couldn't do without it now.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
Darkseed before i had Track IR i used to fly with my left hand on the mouse, i had a trackball and was able to scroll around the skies and keep track of opponents,i also had a button on my joystick to centre view if i got disorientated, i know of some in the squadron who still fly that way.
You also want to look at the joystick set up and mapping in game, the default isn't the best.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link to the airwarfare site. As far as the track IR thing is concerned, yeah I've read about it before, but I'm not sure I want to invest in something I'll only use in one game, one that I'm not even sure I'm going to play seriously yet. I don't have a whole lot of space on my desk I'm afraid, so there's no room for the mouse on my left side, that side is reserved by the throttle and keyboard which I move aside to put the joystick in the middle. Wish there was a trackball thing on the throttle.

I'll probably get hyperlobby and play online some day, but not until I'm much less green than this. :)

Oh by the way, one more problem I'm having is that once I'm actually on someones tail and matching my speed with his I still find it very difficult to keep my sights on him. I trim the elevators and ailerons but that doesn't seem to help a whole lot when you're not just flying hands free.

Upvote 0
dont start adjusting things at that point - this is just me but i adjust my trim around my normal speed of about 370 and leave it there - just learn to use the stick well enough to keep your aim on the other guy. and dont expect to be EVER able to fly hands free. as a person who is has had laods of trouble with aiming and have for some time i can tell you that practice makes perfect! theres some single missions out there you can download just for aiming practice.
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/snapshot.htm for those missions if your interested

Upvote 0
Darkseed said:
Oh by the way, one more problem I'm having is that once I'm actually on someones tail and matching my speed with his I still find it very difficult to keep my sights on him. u're not just flying hands free. trim the elevators and ailerons but that doesn't seem to help a whole lot when u're not just flying hands free. you
What do you mean by "u're not just flying hands free".

Yea following along is really hard at first but you will get better.
For a none newbie it seems hard to remember how **** you where.

But I can vaugly remeber finding it very difficult to stick behind someone, but as you get more pro you can predict their moves and have zero problem' busting some caps up their ass'.

So just keep trying.

O btw you can change the tophat so its smooth movement not set quaters.
Btw i hope u use mouse and joystick with mouse controling look.

Basicly you will learn the best way for your self as I did.

Also play around with the joystick mapping etc as it takes about a month to get a idea of what you want and what it can give you but with a joystick mapping is very important if you want to stick behind someone.

Basicly you want very small movements up too about 50% or even more than u just want max movement at 100%.
But you dont want too steep a curve otherwise its very hard to make even movements.

So just play around.

O and btw everyones desk is "too small" when your a newbie. ( I have joystick in left hand keyboard moved from its normal postion to the right and the mouse jamed between the moved keyboard and box. In il2 you dont need to move the mouse that much so stick up its movement speed. Its only for looking nothing todo with shooting etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DeusIrae said:
and dont expect to be EVER able to fly hands free.
Do you mean in combat? Well of course flying hands free in combat isn't a good idea, but I tend to only use the trims to fly when I'm just cruising along. I tried using pan view instead of snap view btw, but for some reason it won't let me just click the tophat once to pan, it will just move a little bit and I'll have to keep clicking repeatedly to keep moving, quite annoying. Oh and is there an easy way to see if the runway is clear from AI planes somehow? I have to admit I've crashed into the guy in front of me more than once, I wish you could ask control for permission to take off like you can for landings.

I got my first fighter kill today too, I was in a bf-109k4 and the enemy in a p51. It was only average AI but still, it felt quite good. :)

Upvote 0
I could, but then I would have to take my hand off the stick, which isn't a good idea in a combat situation. I might clean up my desk some day and move the mouse to the left side next to the throttle, and the keyboard to the right side whenever I want to play, that should do it.

I'm starting to get the hang of it now btw, I've made a few more kills including a mig, a yak3 and a la5, all when using the bf-109F2. I think my aim is kinda bad though cause even when I hit consistently they still tend to take ALOT of punishment and I pretty much have to use half my ammo or more to bring the bastards down.

Upvote 0
something like ebay? i got mine on a new zealand online auction site. new worth $80 and picked up mine for 50... not to bad as it was it had barely been used.

Also darkseed youl find its MUCH easier to take down human opponents. AI takes punishment and still manages to fly ok where a human player cant fly right let alone dogfight with reasonable dammage to the plane. most of my kills are when the other guy stalls or crashes due to hte dammage ive put on him.

Upvote 0
Darkseed said:
I'm starting to get the hang of it now btw, I've made a few more kills including a mig, a yak3 and a la5, all when using the bf-109F2. I think my aim is kinda bad though cause even when I hit consistently they still tend to take ALOT of punishment and I pretty much have to use half my ammo or more to bring the bastards down.

No no, that's not your aims fault (well maybe a little) the F2 is seriously undergunned, when you get the F4 you get exploding cannon shells and that makes things easier

Upvote 0
yea i use spit g6/AS,g10 and k4 if ive got the option for whatever plane i want. is g14 anygood? for some reason i think not..
Come to think of it i hate the early G just cos thats when the spitfire models are really good but your BF has no MW50. its very hard to beat spitfires at that time it seems..need an anton or an anton around to help. After MW50 its not tooooo hard to kill spits though.

Upvote 0