• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 lock failed

After checking for a solution for this problem through a yahoo search again, i did not find a solution, however found that a noticable number of people are now reporting the exact same error:-

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870)

The only entries for this error i can locate are for either Killing Floor, red Orchestra, Darkest Day, or the MMO Exteel (not sure if this is related, but its the only other software that seems to have the same error).

If this was unrelated to these specific games, the problem should be poping up everywhere.

List of people reporting the same error

Spoiler!

Of specific interest, Euphytose mentions that the crash only began appearing after a specific patch.

In regards to the Exteel game, the crashes were repeatable, and occured after the same actions were undertaken. As i am getting the crash at basically the same point in Killing floor (during/after the trader) i believe that here to a specific action is causing the crash.

Considering the number of people who have posted the problem, and since the crash is intermittant and it is possible to play for hours without it occuring, there is most likely 50 odd people experiencing it for every 1 who bothers to report the problem, i believe that alot of people are being affected by this crash.

[TW]Xienen, as it has been indicated that you are a developer of this game, i would appreciate it if you could let me and everyone else who is affected by this crash know as to whether or not this problem is or will be investigated.

At present only generic workarounds for this issue have been suggested, which have done nothing or made the problem worse. There has been no sugestion of an actual solution being investigated.

Upvote 0
I feel I must point out that the reason that the exact error "IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870)" doesn't show up for a wide variety of games is because it's an error that is specified within the Unreal Engine. The generic version, though, just by searching for "IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed" will return errors from many games and even 3DMark 06.

Given the intermittent nature of the crash and relatively low reporting on the error, we have been unable to reproduce the crash. If a consistent reproduction can be found, we will certainly look into correcting the issue.

"It happens during the trader time", however, is not consistent enough, unfortunately, because we have played many many hours of Killing Floor at our office and have not found that the trader time causes any crash by itself. There is certainly something causing the crash, but someone must figure out what causes it. We have attempted to reproduce it in our office, but so far we have never, not even randomly one time, gotten this crash on any of the 20+ machines in the office in our collective thousands of hours of playing the game.

Upvote 0
So, what specific information is needed to figure out exactly what is causing the crash?

Since i guess the information is not in the crash log, does the game capture any further information before/during a crash which would allow you to diagnose the problem? Can the game be modified easily to output further diagnostic information, so one of us who is experiencing the crash can give you the required information?

Upvote 0
Great. I'm also having this problem now playing Darkest Hour. I only changed 2 things with my system then it started.
1. got a SSD hard drive
2. switched from Vista 32bit to Win 7 64bit

Everything else the same, even driver versions, though they are now 64bit.

I see a couple others are also running 64bit OSs also. Seems to be a trend.

Nvidia 8800GTS SLI

Bart

Upvote 0
We'll, just to help you solve this problem i might as we'll say that I'm having the same problem. I'm pretty much 100% sure its either...
1. Nvidia cards - as that's kinda what stops working, and as it is an Nvidia only crash, so if tripwire doesn't use Nvidia it might be hard to recreate.
2. Drivers - to my knowledge, I've tried ever single driver for my card i could get. Still happens so I'm pretty sure it's not the problem.

My machine is running 64x vista (64bit is also a common component in each report of the crash) with 1 9800GT, processor and memory don't seem to be a factor in any of this but mine are a q6700 with 4GB of ddr2.

A few notes: THIS IS NOT OVERHEATING- I put on my brother water cooler just to test this out, and running at about 45C it crashed shortly before the 3rd wave started. I've only been having this problem since I've recently been playing, and have no idea how long ago it was when i first played it but it didn't happen then.

I have checked all the files and re-installed, none of that fixes it either, and the game works fine on my laptop which is using an ATI card.

Upvote 0
Hey there,

I've been getting the same error on and off for the past year (when I bought the game) and in recent months it pretty much stopped. Only in the past 3 days has it started up again and at regular intervals.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the GTS 250. Motion blur and AA are off, GPU driver is the latest version. Not a heating issue.

The game never crashes for me around the trader but usually mid-way through a round (round number varies). It also crashed once when paused in solo mode (today). Also have had numerous instances of the video freezing for about 4-5 seconds while audio continues as does gameplay, so I'll be mid-firefight, be unable to move, and then video will return when I'm surrounded and near death.

Upvote 0
nvlddmkm.sys

nvlddmkm.sys

I had this error tonight. (See below)

I think it is related to the Nvidia nvlddmkm.sys issue which has been seriously affecting my PC since I recently bought a GTX560Ti.

I have trawled the internet and found that the problem file has been causing problems for many users over many months.

The symptoms are all pretty similar and are not directly linked to Tripwire, or the UT Engine, in my opinion.

I have not yet found a solution and am considering complete re-install.

Although I have also read that this does not guarantee to correct the fault.. ..

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3875 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (7533)

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870).

History: FD3D9VertexStream::Cache <-
FD3D9RenderInterface::SetVertexStreams <-
USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <-
FDynamicActor::Render <-
FActorSceneNode::Render <-
UCanvas::DrawActor <-
UCanvas::execDrawActor <-
(PPSH41Weapon ro-zhitomir1941.PPSH41Weapon @ Function ROEngine.ROProjectileWeapon.RenderOverlays : 02DF) <- UObject::processEvent <-
(ROHud ro-zhitomir1941.ROHud, Function Engine.HUD.PostRenderActors) <-
FPlayerSceneNode::Render <-
UGameEngine::Draw <-
UWindowsViewport::Repaint <-
UWindowsClient::Tick <-
ClientTick <-
UGameEngine::Tick <-
Level Zhitomir 1941 <-
UpdateWorld <-
MainLoop <-
FMallocWindows::Free <-
FMallocWindows::Realloc <-