• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I stop playing games near their end.

I have found that the best way to deal with games like that is to just be prepared. I know it's coming, so every time I turn a corner, I have got sights up to my shoulder if it's possible (use zoom in FEAR, use the scope on the SMG in Quake IV) and simply make sure I use "SWAT turns" (ie. go on one side of the doorway, use the flashlight to check one side, once that's clear, switch to the other side, check that area. If it's all clear, I'll move past the frame with my weapon ready to fire.

My first instinct when I get the **** scared out of me in a game is to shoot like a madman, and it typically works. Doom III was tougher to stomach with its ambience noises and the grinding of the industrial machines and grating of the steel in the background.

I don't really get actually frightened easily, but when something jumps out at me from the dark I nearly shat my pants. Some people enjoy it, I don't particularly, so if I'm in a situation where it's necessary, I'll do all I can to be methodical about it and prepare myself. The Doom III strategy guide helps a lot as it tells you the exact location of all the enemies.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I never found FEAR or Doom 3 to be scary. Especially Doom followed the very simple principal of "entering room, enemies appear, kill them, go to next room, repeat", that it hardly induced any thrill (despite the Hellknights being quite hard to defeat at times...)

The only games that really got me edgy were Terminator: Futureshock and Alien vs. Preditor (but only when playing as Colonial Marine).
The first one was one of the first FPS games which polygonal enemies instead of 2d sprites, and it had quite large, freely explorable maps. The scary part was that you had to fight very hard enemies that were intelligently placed, and did not just spawn and run into you, and a constant lack of ammo. Also, that you heard the machines more often than you saw them really was cool.

Upvote 0
I quit on the last level of splinter cell. I have to idea why but all my interest just ended once I fell into a pit...

And, I didn't really find FEAR scary. After awhile, you learn that the creepy ****(tm) like flickering lights or whispering can't hurt you. The only time supernatural forces can hurt you are in the flashbacks when black ghost things attack you. The scariest and most well done part IMO is when the enemies with stealth suits attack you. At those times, there's no feeling of safety and you're constantly looking behind you.

Doom 3 wasn't exactly creepy but it had a really tense atmosphere. I really like that feeling compared to the action movie atmosphere in stuff like HL2 and FEAR. Too bad it ends at the second half.

And yeah, I completed all those FPSs I mentioned.

Upvote 0
You know the only part i thought was cool in Quake 4, was when you went into that underground place with those Iron Maiden thingies, when you were walking around in the Dark with your two marines and flashlights just scanning over things with no nothing happening it was so much cooler than all the other nonsense.

Though that big walker thing that attacks you when your on foot is cool too.

FEAR made me jump a few times, when it did something unexpected, like those ninja doods. When i first saw one i was like 'pff hullucination' as he was sort of crouched on the wall then WAM! he attacks me, i think i yelped in surprise. Pretty fun.

Upvote 0
myzko said:
Dude, I finsihed HL2, but not Doom3 or Far Cry, I lost intrest in Far Cry at the time all those freakish monsters started to appear, and lost intrest for doom3 mainly becouse I was scared shitless :D

Yeah, my interest dropped off in Far Cry when those monsters appeared. It went from a fun "Commando" game to really annoying Island of Doctor Moreau-style crap. Just give me people to hunt, not some silly sci-fi ape thing. :D

Upvote 0
I agree. I, for some reason, took a LOT of comfort in having a medic and a tech with me in Quake IV. Quake 4 wasn't too bad, though. It's easy to be methodical and systematic when it's a linear set of corridors and doorways with pitched firefights and plenty of cover.

Doom 3, however, is all dimly-lit or totally dark corridors where you have nowhere to run and are FORCED to fight off the enemies. I did find, however, that turning on god mode made the games much easier to handle. For some reason, knowing that nothing can hurt you in game[/b] makes it easier (for me anyways) to play.

HL2 was cool, except in Ravenholm. I beat Ravenholm once, then when I went back, I didn't bother. The torn-off body in the courtyard with just the legs hanging from a rope that you could make do loops by firing giant razor blades kind of turned me off. :p

Upvote 0
FEAR was scary,but I enjoyed that kind of scaryness,but in Doom 3 when the pentagrams started appearing on the walls I quit and unninstalled it.
HL2 and Ravenholm were great,I think I never enjoyed a FPS as much as I did HL2.
Far Cry was fun till the trigens showed up,with people,there were tactics and plans, with them it was just shoot till you have ammo or die.

Upvote 0