• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I do not like the LAR.

LAR is nailing heads left & right right now with added strength to tackle medium Zeds with relative ease whereas its closest competitor for such feat - the AR-15 Varmint Rifle will be left wanting for stopping power.

Personally, I'd say LAR is one of the strongest tier 1; given you're accurate with it, and the one that scales into late game better than any others on the same tier.

For stunning Scrake with it, you'll have to deal sufficient per-hit damage. Either scaling its damage with Sharpshooter bonus and playing on lower difficulty will do.

Upvote 0
LAR is nailing heads left & right right now with added strength to tackle medium Zeds with relative ease whereas its closest competitor for such feat - the AR-15 Varmint Rifle will be left wanting for stopping power.

Personally, I'd say LAR is one of the strongest tier 1; given you're accurate with it, and the one that scales into late game better than any others on the same tier.

For stunning Scrake with it, you'll have to deal sufficient per-hit damage. Either scaling its damage with Sharpshooter bonus and playing on lower difficulty will do.

He put on his nostalgia glasses. That's his disappointment

Upvote 0
I think the nostalgia problem he has for it, is that the zeds now move too erratically to quickly noscope headshots 100% of the time.

I like it, sound needs a bit more crack and echo imo (similar to rust), but it performs perfectly. I'll be interested to see the SS bonus for it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am disapointed too with the LAR, cause we don't have the sensation to have a winchester gameplay: no view, even a glimpse of the lever mecanism is the main issue to me... I guess the shoot rhythm would be reduced if we could see the animation between each shoot... but that s how it works! Here you feel like using an "ordinary" rifle... not a legendary rifle.

Upvote 0
merged24toeg.jpg

The new LAR doesn't feel as good as it does in KF1.

And I'm not even meaning how damage is balanced. First of all it's the look and feel.
In KF1 it's more slender and pointy towards the center of the screen, what makes hipfiring more easy and enjoyable.
The sound is underwhelming. I really don't understand why they didn't use the sound from KF1. It was just perfect.
Same with the sights. That ring sight is excellent to quickly pick up small targets at range. The new open sight over that big hand and gun model feels comparatively clumsy.

Lets compare shots to kill. In KF1 the LAR is my default goto. If I join a game late wave with strangers that don't fund my loadout, I spawn as sharps, sell the nubbow and get a LAR instead. From the rest of the dosh I fill up 9mm ammo and I'm set for a wave. Even offperk the LAR can flinchlock a scrake. It is the gun with the best bang for the buck in the game. It is versatile and enjoyable to use.

Lets take a look at the damage:

KF1 LAR: weight 6
________

onperk:

672 damage @ scrake (4-5 hits) (health: head/total: 2843/6125)

504 damage @ Fleshpound (6-7 hits) (health: head/total: 3062/5906)

offperk:

280 damage @ Scrake (11 hits)

210 damage @ Fleshpound (15 hits)

KF2 LAR: weight 6
________

115 damage @ Scrake (17 hits) (health: head/body: 1875/5967)

57 damage @ Fleshpound (36 hits) (health: head/body: 2031/8137 )

While the KF2 xbow as it was introduced pretty much resembles the original xbow (4 hits FP) the LAR was turned into a peashooter. On the other hand the new LAR can now repeatedly stun FP and scrakes once, as long as they have full health.

At first I thought it is an interesting idea that SC can only stunned once, but practically that means you can forget about it when other players are around. And don't give me the teamplay speech now, even when playing with friends it just happens that the SC gets scratched by a shotgun or whatever.

So what is the new LAR good for? It's cheap and very useful for FP combos due to its stun ability.
But not so much for SC and so most people might go with the xbow if they want a stun weapon.

From a gunslinger perspective I can't really incorporate the LAR into my loadouts. The problem is the weight of 6 which results in being not able anymore to carry two sets of dualies. With the LAR my slinger loadout would be dualie magnums and a single deagle. (maybe a med pistol too, for the last single block). Now with that loadout I'm strong against FP but weaker then before against SC. And since FP are usually handled with a panic spam fests anyways, I don't really see the point to downgrade my slingers speciality, which is taking scrakes.

If someone wants a stun weapon he will be better off with the xbow. This puts the LAR in a place of a cheap starter weapon that will get obsolete as soon as the dosh is available for something else.

TWI you screwed up the most iconic weapon of KF. This is disgraceful.

At least reduce the weight to 5 instead of 6 to make it more compatible with combo loadouts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I generally don't complain about the weapon sounds (mainly cause I'm not the sort to be able to tell).

But, I also felt let down by the LAR's feel. I can't articulate why, but I'm presuming it's the sound.

Performance-wise, I don't know yet. Seems fine from my briefly testing it out, but haven't used it an actual game yet.

Upvote 0