• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Husk Fireball Launcher Tactics/Use

Due to a large resurgence in interest of the Husk fireball luancher with the recent FT/Trenchgun poll thread. I've decided to put up a thread about the crazy thing.

I'll go first:

I find the husk gun is most useful in mob saturation, or coating large trash mobs in flames via small charged shots in its side, on a wall next to it, or the ceiling above it. Its secondary use is destroying more dangerous ranged zeds(husks and sirens) with its powerful direct impact/spike damage, this also can be used to stun scrakes if headshotted with a full charge, IF needed. Not advisable though.

I find the husk gun is most useful in mob saturation, or coating large trash mobs in flames via small charged shots in its side, on a wall next to it, or the ceiling above it.
Yup, that might be the gun's primary advantage. I'd guess flamer quickly takes the lead when attacking tight groups of smaller enemies? Thanks to the AoE/penetration, I mean. Husk gun's AoE seems to be smaller.

Upvote 0
No way. With Flare Pistols, Husk Fireball Launcher and ZED Gun, Firebugs can hold a side almost unassisted now :p

Yes, but I would've said a FB with trench and flare guns, and a sharp could've held it more effectively, if less impressively.

Plus you and Puppy... hardly average players :p

People say it's good vs the Patty... I've used it before on a small team where I wanted to play FB, but needed to take out scrakes. Apart from that, it's not that good IMHO.

Upvote 0
The huskball launcher is totally worth it's money. Compared to flamethrower and trenchgun it has:
-unlimited range
-weights less
-doesn't obscure your teams vision as badly
-no need to reload. ever.
-can detonate(time) your grenades.
-gets gorefast out of your face without wasting ammo (uncharged headshot = kill under any circumstances)
-can oneshot husks and sirens at any range
-higher impact damage
-higher dot damage (still enough to drop gorefast and bloats in one dot on hoe)
-greater aoe / adjustable aoe and ammo consumption to all situations
-above 3 lead to -> is more ammo effective -> ammo pool lasts way longer
-can stun and kill scrakes unassisted while holding the trash off this lane at the same time (due to aoe)
-has a very high impact dmg+ headshot multiplicator thus has a higher skill cap and greater rewards player skills
-rewards the ability to aim it without iron sights with higher mobility and rate of fire
-is extremely awesome in kiting parties
-compared to Xbow vs scrake: more effort for killing a single scrake- less effort for killing multiple scrakes (yes you can kill 2 or 3 scrakes at once with this baby)
-FP are generally unkill-able as firebug since they're immune to half the dmg (dot's). Still, a headshot deals 1480 dmg compared to 1000 from a crossbow. However it can oneshot FP on soloplay HOE

hints:
#1 If you feel that flamethrower has better aoe you don't charge enough or aim for the wrong targets.
#2 An uncharged fireball is compareable to a flare in all stats. Except for it travels faster, costs less and you won't have to reload afterwards.
#3 Even though it's so "expensive" you can legally have one by wave 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do you figure? In my experience the only firebug weapons with a lower ROF are the trenchgun and incendiary m79.

A mean a higher rate of fire than aiming with iron sights, since the recoil animations makes it look longer till you can shoot again than it actually is (it bounces up a second time).
Yes flamethrower, Mac and dual flares have a higher rate of fire but the first 2 deal way less dmg per shot and dual flare guns have a high reload time for a firebug weapon.
However I generally compare RoF and mobility to shooting it with iron sights. This goes for all firebug weapons but the difference is most noticeable using the huskball launcher due to how bad it's iron sights work.
Note that the MAC should be fired with iron sights as much as possible due to it's insane spray.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fire dots generally deal: initial fire damage +3~4 damage per tick * 1.5 * perk bonus * 1.5 on sirens *1.5 for the direct hit only to bloats. They last 10 seconds and tick once per second.
As a level 6 firebug flamer dot deals ~740. A flare causes a ~1.1k DoT (-120dmg if the dot was applied through aoe -flaregun only). Uncharged huskballs are exactly the same as flares and a fully charged shot will cause all zeds in a 450rad to burn for 1.7k.
LAW has a rad of 500.
MAC and Trenchgun DoT don't scale with firebug perk bonus since it does not increase their initial bullet damage. Leveling up your perk makes them less effective compared to flaregun, flamer and huskball launcher (They're still strong though).

Last edited:
Upvote 0