• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hunting Shotgun needs buff

TARBERTD

Oct 4, 2010
Hey so ever since i started support ive tried out all the shotguns MANY times. However...there is a problem imo with the balance.

Currently it is:
aa12>shotgun>hunting shotgun

This is kinda screwed up. Double barrel costs more, has pricey ammo, terrible spread, and only a little more damage to compensate.

I suggest TWI should buff the power alot more or increase spread. As it stands, you have to shove both barrels down a gorefests jaw to get a 1 hit KO. Shotgun is just more practical in every way yet it costs way less!

You can clearly not use it :p The HS is pure ownage if you know how to use it. Just use the HS when the spec is close. When facing a scrake or FP or alot of weak specs. It will kills a FP on 6man hard with 6 shots if i remember right in lvl4 sup. And if your team help your it will not even touch you.

When specs are futher away just use the normal shotty.

Upvote 0
If you watch your projectile trace you can usually tell where your shots are going. It's been most effective as a secondary weapon amidst larger groups. And it works great in hall ways. Alternate fire at close range cuts through 5 or 6 clots/gorefasts if they're all crowded together.

As a main weapon though.. not the best choice.

Upvote 0
I love the hunting shotgun, and use it all the time for doing huge damage in a split second. I fight with it regularly using one barrel at a time as well, and it is more versatile than people give it credit for.

One barrel into a gorefast's face on suicidal blows its head off and throws the corpse backwards. I call it shotgun ballet. I have killed 2 gorefasts with one barrel before. It is by no means weak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
admittedly, i have never actually tried using it as a secondary. i like the idea of using it to tear apart tougher enemies...however against a FP i dont think i would survive.

Btw what are some good loadouts when using this gun? I usually always ended up using aa12, mac10/duel deagles, and a katana. So using HS as a secondary...do u guys still use aa12 and use the HS as a replacement for my mac10/deagles?

Upvote 0
admittedly, i have never actually tried using it as a secondary. i like the idea of using it to tear apart tougher enemies...however against a FP i dont think i would survive.

Btw what are some good loadouts when using this gun? I usually always ended up using aa12, mac10/duel deagles, and a katana. So using HS as a secondary...do u guys still use aa12 and use the HS as a replacement for my mac10/deagles?

Depends on your level, when you get level 4(?) Support Spec, you can carry both the normal Shotgun and Hunting Shotgun/AA12, they're good.

Weaken stuff with the Shotgun and maybe a few grenades then finish it off with the Hunting Shotgun, Raged Scrakes are a good indication on when to use the Hunting Shotgun.

Upvote 0
Tbh I use pretty much all Support weapons at any given time. Although I like to combo the AA-12 and HS for the most part. Using the AA-12 to take out mobs when needed and the raging a big guy before finishing him with a double HS blast tends to be teh rape.

Ammo can be a problem, but then again I do tend to play Firebug when ammo is slim and alot of rationing is required :)

Upvote 0