• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will RO:HOS utilize cores?

I want to see THIS in RO2:

unleduuh.jpg

That's my CPU usage from BF3 -- I wish more games took full advantage of my i7 2600.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
So if I have daul/quad core on my server, I could potentially increase 64 players to 100?

nope, I've seen Yoshimo comment on how a Quad Xeon would perform depending on the level of turbo boost on a single core. There server software is single threaded as far as I can infer from statements.

If you wanna run 100 player probably best look the coming launch of SandyBridge-E processors.

Unreal is a pretty bad Multicore engine, You say it can break up the chunks like auto and AI into different threads. This is about as ineffective a method as you can get. Engines like Dices Frostbite are truly mutlithreaded, what Unreal has is sorta just hacked together.

If you had an i7 or i5 I highly doubt disabling 2 or even 3 cores would have any impact on performance. Going from a Phenom II x4 to a Phenom II x6 I imagine would see you zero gain and probably would result in decreased FPS since they are typically clocked less.

Not really that big a deal since almost no games really take advantage of quad cores. F1 2010/11 and BC2/BF3 are the only games I know of that handle Quads well.

Upvote 0
I don't have much to add as far as how well optimized the UT3 engine is for multi-core/multi-thread processing, but I can give you some food for thought, for those that are concerned with what processor they should get:
I am running an old Core 2 Duo (E6600), overclocked to 3.4ghz, with 2GB of DDR2800 RAM, a GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (G92) slightly overclocked to 700mhz core and 1000 mhz RAM, and a GeForce 9600 GT 512 as a dedicated PhysX processor... I get a very playable experience (I have not measured FPS yet, but if I had to take a guess, I would guesstimate 30+ at almost all times, and never really dipping below for more than a second or two at a time), with all settings on medium (but FxAA set to low, and resolution set to 1280x720) and hardware (gpu) physics handling enabled.

My system is far from a cutting edge multi-core system... so I would have to imagine that anything from the current generation of multi-core processors would have no problem handling this game beautifully. Remember, it's not so much your processor that is going to be holding you back as much as it is your GPU(s), unless you are letting your CPU handle the physics. In that case, then yeah I guess you want something beefier... but honestly, even my old C2D did fine when I ran it with CPU physics handling.

On a completely separate note, it's also worth pointing out my specs and performance to show that this game can, indeed, be played acceptably on a slightly older rig (as long as you are willing to make some concessions to your settings). Protip: using Ultra settings does not make you any better at the game than someone who uses Medium settings... it also doesn't make the game any more or less enjoyable, unless you are obsessed with everything being completely maxed out for some reason. Yes, it looks beautiful maxed out, but I would much rather sacrifice a little bit of eye candy for a lot of performance.

Upvote 0
Im running a i72600k @ 3.5GHz but when turbo boost kicks in Im sure it bumps up higher, Ive also got it overclocked a little via ASUS auto tuning. Im running 16GB of DDR3 PC1600 ram and a 3GB GTX580. Personally I would like to see more CPU usage on all cores. It looks like my GPU is doing everything it can. Im maxed out on every setting besides framrate smoothing & v sync. Im running the game at 1920x1080. My FPS and GPU usage goes crazy high in the game menu but drops off in game. You would think in the game menu GPU usage would be minimal. I average about 65-48 FPS in game.

However on a thought...it seems like Nvidia Physx is running off my card instead of my CPU. I wonder if I switch the Physx to my CPU instead of my GPU Ill see an increase in CPU usage and a decrease of my GPU with an increase in FPS???

Im going to set my Physx to my CPU, play a round then see if I notice any difference.

The rest of my rig specs are in my sig.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is how RO2 uses my hardware:

CPU x6 @ 35% :mad:

GPU1 @ 25-45% :mad:
GPU2 @ 25-45% :mad:

My opinion on RO2 optimization with new CAP1 specially made for CF in RO2 = :confused:

Here is how BF3 was coded,although I dont like the game much...

CPUx6 @ 85-90%

GPU1 @95-99%
GPU2 @95-99%

Call me crazy but BF3 utilizes amazingly our hardware,I think RO2 devs laided an egg with optimization.

Reactions: blkmgc
Upvote 0
12 cores in sight? Damn I had no idea, it's amazing how fast technology is progressing.

Not really, Very few games today utilize even 4 cores (Handful).

I guess if you multitask and use video/photo/music editing 8-12 cores will handle it better.

For gaming, Consoles have slowed down the progress quite a bit. Not much has really progressed past 4-5 years.

Upvote 0
Im running a i72600k @ 3.5GHz but when turbo boost kicks in Im sure it bumps up higher, Ive also got it overclocked a little via ASUS auto tuning. Im running 16GB of DDR3 PC1600 ram and a 3GB GTX580. Personally I would like to see more CPU usage on all cores. It looks like my GPU is doing everything it can. Im maxed out on every setting besides framrate smoothing & v sync. Im running the game at 1920x1080. My FPS and GPU usage goes crazy high in the game menu but drops off in game. You would think in the game menu GPU usage would be minimal. I average about 65-48 FPS in game.

However on a thought...it seems like Nvidia Physx is running off my card instead of my CPU. I wonder if I switch the Physx to my CPU instead of my GPU Ill see an increase in CPU usage and a decrease of my GPU with an increase in FPS???

Im going to set my Physx to my CPU, play a round then see if I notice any difference.

The rest of my rig specs are in my sig.
Are you noticing physx being used at all? I have a dedicated physx card and it sees 0% use in game.

Upvote 0
Are you noticing physx being used at all? I have a dedicated physx card and it sees 0% use in game.

Do you have it set up correctly in forceware? Go into your nvidia control panel, and make sure that on the PhysX page, you manually set which card you want to handle PhysX, don't let it automatically decide. Also, in the game, make sure you DO check the "hardware physics" box in the video screen, otherwise the CPU will do the PhysX processing.

I haven't actually checked my GPU usage with monitoring software, but I can definitely tell it is working (I just added the 9600 gt as a physx processor the other day, and I noticed the difference immediately). When I get home tonight, I will actually check the usage and see if it's working, although I'm pretty confident it is.

Upvote 0
Do you have it set up correctly in forceware? Go into your nvidia control panel, and make sure that on the PhysX page, you manually set which card you want to handle PhysX, don't let it automatically decide. Also, in the game, make sure you DO check the "hardware physics" box in the video screen, otherwise the CPU will do the PhysX processing.

I haven't actually checked my GPU usage with monitoring software, but I can definitely tell it is working (I just added the 9600 gt as a physx processor the other day, and I noticed the difference immediately). When I get home tonight, I will actually check the usage and see if it's working, although I'm pretty confident it is.

Ok so here is a follow up. I was wrong... I checked and physx is NOT working on my dedicated card. I asked about it elsewhere, and this is the response I got:

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=934824#post934778[/URL]

Upvote 0