• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How was the Mosin Nagant made to not eject unspent rounds?

I just had an idea... if you press the reload button and the rifle isn't empty and the round in the chamber is spent, it should pull the bolt back a little way, see the round, then close it again. Only if you push the reload button again at that point will it start reloading. If you have no rounds or the cartridge is spent, it just reloads as usual. This way you can use the reload mechanic to at least check to see if you have a loaded live round, and the worst that can happen is you have to reload after the next shot if you are surprised.

I like this idea :)

Upvote 0
As for the last question, yes, to get a 6th round in the chamber while the magazine was full with 5 already you would have to push the 5 rounds down while moving the bolt forward partway, thereby not "grabbing" a round to load and giving you space to put the 6th in chamber. Again though, it seems like an extra effort for 1 more shot when you can just fire the 5 then load 5 more.

*edit* I notice how my "stripper clips" lined up on answer 5 LOL....
I'll also add with this that the Mauser has a semi-rigid extractor and the action is designed to feed a round upwards from the magazine and under the extractor claw as it loads it. Therefore forcing the extractor claw over a round that is not actually in the magazine and simply sitting in the chamber is not good for it (I know people who have broken extractors doing it).

Upvote 0
I've not noticed the Mosin being broken in this way, but I'll pay attention next time I use it. What I have noticed is that if you only have a single round left in the weapon, it doesn't get ejected on reload and you'll load in 4 rounds instead of having to insert a whole new clip.

Also, random fact, you can check your ammo at any time by holding the reload key rather than tapping it.

Upvote 0