• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How to Use Smoke (smoke nades everyday)

LogisticEarth

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
We all know the situation: Someone takes Squad Leader, and proceeds to throw smoke in all the wrong places (or not at all). The result is often a really frustrating match, and probably lots of yelling. So, here's a few tips on how to use smoke. This is very general advice, and will adjust situationally, but hopefully this will give budding Squad Leaders some insight into how to best use thier smoke grenades.

Smoke in RO generally has two purposes: Concealment, and blinding the enemy. In many cases these are interchangable due to the generally small size of RO's maps. In real life, smoke barrages may be laid to allow tanks and infantry to manuever without being seen, but in RO, we're usually talking about crossing the street instead of crossing entire fields, and usually only have a few smoke grenades instead of smoke support from mortars, artillery, or tanks. So the use is somewhat limited. But how best to use it? Lets take a look at a couple scenerios of an advance:

uHMIm.png

In the image above, you see two opposing forces in Panel I. The blue is friendly, the red is the enemy, who holds the objective. You have your main force of infantry, which is composed of Riflemen, Assault infantry (SMGs), Sapers, etc. You also have your supporting infantry, meaning your MGs, snipers, AT riflemen, etc. Generally on the advance, your main infantry body should be moving to take the objective, while the support gets into a good firing position and covers the advance. Obviously the above is a simplification of most maps, but it will serve our purposes here.

Now, what is the Squad Leader to do with his smoke grenades? Panels II through IV offer three basic choices, with the grey blotches representing smoke placement.

Panel II has the smoke placed in front of the objective and the enemy infantry. Many players do this because smoke is "concealment", and they're attempting to cover their advance.

Panel III has the smoke placed on the main enemy infantry force, the "front line trenches" if you will. Often this will mean smoke dropped directly on the objective. The goal here is probably to blind the main enemy infantry, and also block the enemy support weapons to cover the advance of the friendly infantry.

Panel IV. has the smoke placed BETWEEN the enemy main infantry and it's support weapons. The goal here is to neutralize the enemy support weapons.

Lets see how these various choices play out:

zWQlB.png

Panel II: Your main line infantry advanced up to the smoke, and in order to move forward to take the objective, they have to trudge on through it. What's waiting on the other side? A dug in enemy. And since your own smoke has blinded your own support weapons, the enemy is probably fresh and have no other targets other than your dudes stumbling through the fog into waiting MGs.

Panel III: The enemy infantry and support was unable to see most of your advance, so if your infantry is doing a good job, they probably got up to the objective. The problem is, once they get there, they can't see the enemy, and neither can the friendly support weapons, so they don't get to do much. This will often lead to confusion as the two main infantry groups bash it out in the smoke. Expect increased TKs and lots of blind nades. If you're lucky and the attackers push through the smoke, they run into the waiting enemy support. Not good. Better than Panel II because you have a chance of pushing back the main enemy, but taking the objective is still tougher than it has to be.

Panel IV. Now, with the enemy support weapons blinded, you are able to lay down fire from your own support weapons to suppress and kill the enemy infantry. Your own forces advance under supporting fire, and will also engage the enemy as well. Yes the enemy can still fire back at you, but they're taking the brunt of it and will be at a disadvantage. When you finally get to the enemy support, you'll have a better chance of destroying them, as you'll be stronger, and thier main infantry force is dimished and can't cover them. More importantly you've taken the objective. When you finally do get up there, it's probably a good idea to continue to throw smoke foward of the objective. Then you can turn the tables, and have the enemy stumbling out of the fog as they attempt to retake the point.

The Bottom Line: Often, the best use of smoke is used NOT as concealment, but to seperate enemy support elements from the rest of thier team. "Support" could mean a tank, a building with a particularly good field of fire, or some dug in LMGs and a sniper in a trench. It's not always as cut and dry as above, but if you start thinking about sectoring off the enemy, you can be a lot more effective in your smoke usage.

Hope this helps some people, thread is obviously open to discussion and further tips!

Last edited:
When you can manage it, put your smoke grenades directly on enemy strongpoints, such as readily fortified buildings or machine gun nests. This completely blinds them and keeps them from being useful until the smoke disperses.

The best use of defensive smoke is diagram 2. This screens your troops from enemy fire and observation while the enemy runs out of the grey haze as obvious signle targets.

Diagram 3 is still useful for an attacker. Combining smoke with suppressive fire directly on the enemy front line, you can make the defender believe an assault is coming when your team is really bypassing one objective for another. In another instance, if the enemy front line has heavy cover such as a trenchline, directly assaulting and flushing it out through smoke lets you sieze that ground. Moving up the machinegunners to then dominate the objective area and suppress enemy MGs allows the next wave of respawns to capture the objective.

So I will disagree with the OP on the value of 4 over 3. Ideally smoke will cut the enemy's positions off from one another so they cannot support eachother by fire. If we had mortars or the ability to call in smoke screens by artillery, 4 would be ideal. But usually the squad leader can't throw his smoke grenades over the enemy's heads. These attacks need to be in two phases; blinding the front line with smoke to overrun them and take over those positions, and a second phase to clear the objective.

But on the whole, an excellent post of the sort this forum needs more of.

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
So I will disagree with the OP on the value of 4 over 3. Ideally smoke will cut the enemy's positions off from one another so they cannot support eachother by fire. If we had mortars or the ability to call in smoke screens by artillery, 4 would be ideal. But usually the squad leader can't throw his smoke grenades over the enemy's heads. These attacks need to be in two phases; blinding the front line with smoke to overrun them and take over those positions, and a second phase to clear the objective.

Very good point. I was considering mentioning the first wave having smoke thrown into a position that would allow the SL to get smoke into Position 4, but was keeping it simple. As for using the smoke to feint an assault, that's an effective tactic with team play but is difficult to pull off in public matches. As I said this was more a thought experiment to help people start thinking about good ways to use your smoke grenades, ie. to sector off the enemy depending on what you want force him to do.

But on the whole, an excellent post of the sort this forum needs more of.

Flattery will get you nowhere, but thanks. :D

Upvote 0
sometimes smoke as cover is essential.... Think about the massive valley in Tula Outskirts... You wouldn't make it far enough to throw the smoke on the enemy support units if you don't use it as concealment for the first few minutes of the game. Once you've established your own support squads on the slopes you can proceed to diagram 4....

Or use it as concealment long enough to get a cap zone that cannot be recaptured

Upvote 0
When you can manage it, put your smoke grenades directly on enemy strongpoints, such as readily fortified buildings or machine gun nests. This completely blinds them and keeps them from being useful until the smoke disperses.

This. Wins your team almost every round in DH, too bad many people are afraid of doing it because you are likely to get shot in the process.

Upvote 0
Very useful post,but i doubt the SL can throw the smoke grenade from it's trenches all the way to the enemy's trenches but no matter :)

Yeah like I said it's not straightforward but if you hop from cover to cover, or throw an initial concealment smoke barrage as mentioned above, you can get the smoke up there, unless the map is huge.

Upvote 0
When I'm SL I like to rush in and die. The more I die, the more smoke I can throw out there to cover our approach. If you're a SL and your average life span is a couple of minutes, you're giving your team only 2 smokes for that time period.

Squad leaders also cost 3 reinforcement points as opposed to the normal 1, count as 1.5 soldiers when capping, and also have the ability to arty often. I've never been a fan of the "rush-die-rush" tactic for the SL. If you've advanced into the cap but the rest of your team is stuck without smoke, sure, that makes sense. But don't waste the class if you don't have to.

Reactions: GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
You should be playing suicidal UNTIL you get to the cap then hit the ground... of course if the rest of the team didn't make it you might need to die to resmoke - just try and take out 3 enemies before you do :D

I also played German SL on Leningrad quite effectively last night and noticed that smoke works a bit differently when there are significant elevation differences between you and the enemy.... It's kind of hard to smoke an MG that's on top of a 5 story building - you pretty much have to use it as concealment for your team to get inside the building.

Upvote 0
In addition there is a citation of Sergeant Kanisky : ''If you are a coward, don't try being a team leader. You must usually run further than everybody else to throw a nice salvating smoking grenade. And there's no such thing as throwing a smoke grenade from the backup reservist warm hotel''

Don't forget you can ''nade'' a side in a crossroad too to go ''safely'' through it

Thanks for the pictures, I hope it will help leaders to nade with more efficacity (because.. yes, most of time it's pretty useless how people do that ^^)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A very important tactic with smoke that may be minimalized by the commentary of panel II is that sometimes a SL has no choice but to walk his smoke to the objective by placing smoke in positions where his supporting troops can advance the overall line to the ultimate objective, thus giving the SL a chance to throw smoke at the next extended position, be it a new walk-up area, or the actual objective.

Upvote 0