• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

how much would you pay for RO HOS?

how much would you pay for RO HOS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What I would consider to be the ideal initial asking price would depend on the SP portion of the game. If the sp isn't too special then I'd say about 40 Euro and else about 50 Euro. I think Rohos will be worth a lot more but I probably wouldn't pay that much especially if its a relatively unknown game.

But in general I think that twi needs to find a price that overall won't get the reaction that its overpriced. After a while they can always lower the price to get a hold with the budget market. If you start low then you cannot go much lower over time.

Personally I would pay 100 euro for it, and will probably end up spending more as ill probably upgrade my system solely for this title. But im a rarity in that sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think so new RO2 will cost so much different than other AAA titles.

RO2 Pre Order @ Amazon.com cost about 50$ which is normal price. Mainstream FPS like Cod and MoH cost about 59$.

In my country game is also offered by some stores.
#1 - 99 PLN
#2 - 79 PLN

which is quite cheap, other AAA fps games cost about 119-139 PLN.

Of course game is worth way more for fans and hardcore PC fps gamers^^. That's why Limited, Collection edition is needed badly.

Upvote 0
$40 is the sweet spot and optimum price point I believe. People tend to forget that most gamers, PC or otherwise, tend to see indies much more demanding than they see mainstream gamers. Gamers won't mind paying $60 for a crap game but they will not touch a $20 indie if it isn't filled with tons of features and playability.

Since HoS is a huge project, perhaps the biggest indie project made in the past years, $40 will attract both the mainstream games, those who tend to see indie games in a more demanding way than mainstream games and indie gamers. Price it more and people will rather buy a crap but known series than bet on an unknown one.

And pricing the game for less is a good idea, it's one of the major fallacies in economical theory that the lower you price it the lower regards consumers have for a product. Games are not Veblen goods and will not act like a Veblen good if you increase its price.

Upvote 0
$40 is the sweet spot and optimum price point I believe. People tend to forget that most gamers, PC or otherwise, tend to see indies much more demanding than they see mainstream gamers. Gamers won't mind paying $60 for a crap game but they will not touch a $20 indie if it isn't filled with tons of features and playability.

Since HoS is a huge project, perhaps the biggest indie project made in the past years, $40 will attract both the mainstream games, those who tend to see indie games in a more demanding way than mainstream games and indie gamers. Price it more and people will rather buy a crap but known series than bet on an unknown one.

And pricing the game for less is a good idea, it's one of the major fallacies in economical theory that the lower you price it the lower regards consumers have for a product. Games are not Veblen goods and will not act like a Veblen good if you increase its price.

I approve this post :IS2:

Upvote 0

Thing is you can always decrease the price of a game however once you set a certain price you can never increase the price after a while with regards to games.

If a product got great staying power and without a doubt I think that HOS got that. Then people that do not want to buy it for 50 initially might want to buy the game once the price drops to 40 etc.

Sure the price shouldn't be too high initially, but it shouldn't be too low either. The higher the initial price the longer lowering the price could have a benefit.

Upvote 0
Thing is you can always decrease the price of a game however once you set a certain price you can never increase the price after a while with regards to games.

If a product got great staying power and without a doubt I think that HOS got that. Then people that do not want to buy it for 50 initially might want to buy the game once the price drops to 40 etc.

Sure the price shouldn't be too high initially, but it shouldn't be too low either. The higher the initial price the longer lowering the price could have a benefit.

Which is why I believe $40 is perfect. Make it $50 and you can bet people will say "I rather get CoD:BO instead" because that's how people, and in this case gamers, are. They rather buy on a safe and bad series than bet on an unknown one.

I do believe that if the price is $40, or even $35, HoS will :IS2: all over the competition and not leave anything alive behind. But if the price is $50 expect PC gamers to go "I rather buy Bad Company 2/MoH/CoD:BOs for that price".

Upvote 0
Which is why I believe $40 is perfect. Make it $50 and you can bet people will say "I rather get CoD:BO instead" because that's how people, and in this case gamers, are. They rather buy on a safe and bad series than bet on an unknown one.

I do believe that if the price is $40, or even $35, HoS will :IS2: all over the competition and not leave anything alive behind. But if the price is $50 expect PC gamers to go "I rather buy Bad Company 2/MoH/CoD:BOs for that price".

Those people aren't interested in game, game features, but only compare trademarks. If those people would pick one of the other FPS over RO2, that means they pick CoD over MoH only because it's more popular, not because it is cheaper or offers more.
Some people also think like that: Oh new CoD cost 60 $ again, that means that game has to be worth more than other FPSs because it cost more.

Upvote 0
Those people aren't interested in game, game features, but only compare trademarks. If those people would pick one of the other FPS over RO2, that means they pick CoD over MoH only because it's more popular, not because it is cheaper or offers more.
Some people also think like that: Oh new CoD cost 60 $ again, that means that game has to be worth more than other FPSs because it cost more.

Respectfully disagree on the last part. For many gamers there's a clear distinction between indie and mainstream, and many still hold the idea that indie games are crap. Even with all the trailers and footage there are still many people who think HoS looks like crap, which tells more about those persons than anything else, so if they see HoS as $50 I'm willingly to safely bet that 97% or so of Steam users and PC gamers will choose another game immediately.

Trust me on this, those people who think a more expensive game means a better game are so minor that they don't even count when talking gaming demographics. Price it at $50 and this game will not take off, I fear, because gamers will choose mainstream over indie presently. Hopefully that tendency will be reversed with games like HoS and we may see PC gaming being mainly indie in the future.

The proof that most indies are taken with a lot more scrutiny, often unrealistic so, by gamers is that you rarely see an indie hitting the top sellers list. Pricing HoS high will ensure HoS will never hit the top sellers list and I, for one, want to see it taking the #1 spot and holding it for months. We have to encourage gamers into getting into indie gaming and HoS specifically and that is done by lower price points, make it high and the opposite effect will follow.

Upvote 0
I would pay $100 easily for it, in fact I'll be paying much more than that just to basically buy an entire new computer for it (well for this and for SoW... IL-2 sequel), but I think it should be priced the standard $49.95. Any less and it might be perceived as a budget title (if I see a brand new game in the store that's $29.95 I IMMEDIATELY assume it's garbage... there are exceptions of course, like Mount and Blade but that's only because I heard it here first), any more and it will lose sales because it's not Starcraft or COD, it's not super well known.

Upvote 0