• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How is it to get killed by a PTRD-round?

Paajtor

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2006
The Netherlands
youtu.be
I often wondered, how it is for infantry to be killed by a PTRD-round.:D
Sure, when you're dead, you're dead...
But how does the impact of the bullet sound?
Is it massive? Or the same as an ordinary rifle-bullet?
Is it a messy death?

I'm not in a clan, so I can't simply ask a buddy to pick me off with a PTRD.
And I always play the Red side.

Yesterday, I was sniping with a PTRD at guys I located with my binoculars...they were hiding in bushes underneath trees, very far away on the left side of the map.
Maybe the map was Kryokovo?...I forgot.

According to this article, the bullet velocity was approx. 3320fps....= around 1010ms.
By memory, I think those guys I sniped, were close to 1km away...I was aiming at a few pixels, barely visible over my barrel.
All were 1shot-kills.

So there has to be a bang - louder than rifles anyway - and an impact almost a second later...and the bang arrives AFTER the bullet.

Who can recall getting killed that way? And how was it?

Btw, according to that same article, the PTRD was also used as a long-range sniping-rifle, in the Korean war.

Last edited:
Shot00075.jpg

Upvote 0
/me points at Operation Flashpoint. Even the old flightsim JetPilot has fairly realistic audiorendering and that runs decently on a 25MHz 68040 =).

I think indeed its a abit to early for having sound physics that way.. I cant really remember that ofp had that feature.. youll get shot down and after that hear the bang.. Their was a mod for bf2 i thought wich added the crack sounds of bullets. the sound they create when going to the sound barrier.

Upvote 0
If it was allowed on every map, it would be the only weapon I would use.
Someone needs to make a map where it is the only weapon for both sides.
There is a dedicated sniper-map around, called LastBattleIIs (the 's' stands for the sniper-version of this map).
It has also other weapon-classes, but I don't think there's a limit on snipers.
I can imagine it would also be nice with PTRD's...anyway, I love that map.

To bad it isn't played that much.
5 vs 5, or 6 vs 6 is a good balance.

Upvote 0
I think indeed its a abit to early for having sound physics that way.. I cant really remember that ofp had that feature.. youll get shot down and after that hear the bang.. Their was a mod for bf2 i thought wich added the crack sounds of bullets. the sound they create when going to the sound barrier.

I think he means that for example, when you blow up a tank in the distance, you'd see the explosion first, and then hear the explosion go off 1 second or more later, because the sound had to travel to you.
This was also there for bullets, you'd see the enemy fire from a long range, then a second later you actually hear his gun go off.
Allthough there is no bullet-cracking.

Upvote 0
The only thing I dont get is that... WHY ISNT THE PTRD a 1 shot kill!!

Sooooo many times I have shot germans with it in their shoulder, arm, hand area.. and all they do is drop their guns and run away.. Their arm or hand should have been blown off, as they fall to the ground screaming in a puddle of blood!

Its just BS, along with rifle rounds... If a person is lined up behind someone else, a rifle round as well as a PTRD should go right through em both... The mod did this, why hasnt this been fixed yet?:mad:

Upvote 0
The only thing I dont get is that... WHY ISNT THE PTRD a 1 shot kill!!

Sooooo many times I have shot germans with it in their shoulder, arm, hand area.. and all they do is drop their guns and run away.. Their arm or hand should have been blown off, as they fall to the ground screaming in a puddle of blood!

Its just BS, along with rifle rounds... If a person is lined up behind someone else, a rifle round as well as a PTRD should go right through em both... The mod did this, why hasnt this been fixed yet?:mad:

I've personally been shot ingame by PTRDs and shot others with it many times aswell and it was always a 1-shot-kill. What you've experienced must be very rare.

As for rifle rounds: No they should not go through someone and hit the person behind him by default. Although that does happen (irl), that is actually unintended. Most of the time, when someone is struck in the torso by a rifle round, the bullet won't leave his body... at least not in one piece.

Upvote 0
As for rifle rounds: No they should not go through someone and hit the person behind him by default. Although that does happen (irl), that is actually unintended. Most of the time, when someone is struck in the torso by a rifle round, the bullet won't leave his body... at least not in one piece.

And most importantly, bullets don't fly a straight line when they hit something thicker than air, but get destabilized easily. In a human torso there's a lots of things that have a massive affect on trajectory, like bones, different kinds of tissues and also clothes and equipment. Of course something as heavy as 14.5 mm AP round is not destabilized as easily as 7.62 mm, but modelling this kind of thing to the game is IMO pretty useless. It is not so simple as one might think, and serves very little any purpose since in any case situation where one bullet might kill two soldiers is a very rare.

Upvote 0