• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How are APCs going to work, Tripwire?

I think the availability of large maps and a decent damage model will be required for APC's to work. The need for large maps is obvious, but the damage model is just as essential.

AT rifles will need the ability to knock out the engine/transmission/people inside. But if AT rifles start making APC's light up like christmas trees killing everyone inside.. the fun is gonna stop real soon.

Very good point. I recommend the introduction of the PTRD as it forbids the ability to "light up" enemy vehicles; having a single shot system but about a 7 times longer effective range and having a more durable mechanism that's less likely to jams compared to the PTRS.

Upvote 0
If they can make animations for climbing over cover I hope they can make animations for climbing out of a Bren Gun carrier or crouching through a Sd.Kfz. 251 to open a door and jump out.
If there would just be no animations or just like in RO:eek:st I would probably cry of disapointment.
Cheers!

If we're lucky enough to get animations for dismounting then we're definately going to need player collision, too. I can't imagine the flaming that would go on in this forum if everyone fell out of the back of a SdKfz. 251 at the same time.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
If we're lucky enough to get animations for dismounting then we're definately going to need player collision, too. I can't imagine the flaming that would go on in this forum if everyone fell out of the back of a SdKfz. 251 at the same time.

...and got shredded by a machine gun at the same time. What's that, eight deaths at once? How many points is that for the MGer?

Upvote 0
Well to be honest, I can see some problems with certain Halftracks/APCs when it comes down to animations. Take the clown car for example. Let's say I'm the gunner and I want to get out from the car. Feel free to correct me, but the space between the tiny door on the side and the driver is too small to let you exit the vehicle. Unless the driver gets out of the way or gets out of the vehicle, I don't see how you can make the animations work in this case. My other concern is if the vehicles will have to be completely stopped in order to get in/get out.

Making the interior of the vehicles is already a pain in the ***, I really hope that the use of player animations will be limited to what was present in the original RO.

Upvote 0
I think the availability of large maps and a decent damage model will be required for APC's to work. The need for large maps is obvious, but the damage model is just as essential.

AT rifles will need the ability to knock out the engine/transmission/people inside. But if AT rifles start making APC's light up like christmas trees killing everyone inside.. the fun is gonna stop real soon.

Too right Khaine! If the Same AT rifles that can penetrate t-34 turrets are used, halftracks and universal carriers are going to be picked off at 400 metres making them useless except as a way of boosting the AT class scoring. Just get rid of the AT class all together until the damage model is fixed (IMHO) :D

Upvote 0
Too right Khaine! If the Same AT rifles that can penetrate t-34 turrets are used, halftracks and universal carriers are going to be picked off at 400 metres making them useless except as a way of boosting the AT class scoring. Just get rid of the AT class all together until the damage model is fixed (IMHO) :D

The SdKfz 251's side armor is just 8mm at around 30 degrees. That's going to be realistically penetrable by the PTRS out to a significant distance anyway. The hull front, 14.5mm thick and at an angle, would probably be less vulnerable at longer distances, but is still easily dealt with under 200m. That's the way it should work--the PTRS should shred the halftrack or UC under most circumstances. It wouldn't blow one up, per se, (and I hope it doesn't blow a troop carrier up in-game, as neither the fuel nor the machine gun ammunition is that volatile) but it would take out the engine block and make a mess of the troop compartment for certain regardless of whether or not the AT class is fixed.

Still want to see it stop penetrating the T34 glacis and turret from the front, though... same goes for the PIV, although it's far less vulnerable to the PTRS from the front in the current game. Almost everything should be a deflection over 80m from the front.

Upvote 0
Our halftracks are not in a stage where anything is finalized so we don't have anything to say at this time. We are focusing on getting the two new tanks out first.

I thought of a few possible ideas for the transports.

#1 - Anyone who is going to drive the HT or other Transports should be by the door for driving and then animate them getting in, turning on and away they go.

For anybody getting into the HT, one can hop into the passenger side with animation, and anybody who hops in the back, all enter in an order, with the first person manning the MG and others take an order of seats in the back. As someone decides to get out, they can switch to the closest body to the exit and animate out in the same order, but in reverse.

However, nobody should be permitted to jump out instantly while moving at a certain speed. If they are permitted, then they should take considerable injury or death.

#2 - Much the same as the above, but perhaps only the driver can trigger people to exit their transport at a specific time in order to make things simple in coding the various animations & locations.

Use button to enter/exit.... jump/climb over/action button can be the emergency hop out the side.... depending on which you decide to do while moving, determines the injuries.

Everything else can work just as it did in previous RO's.

Or Option #3:

Get rid of in and out animations all together and have people insta'spawn like the olden days. There's plenty of detail and immersion improvements already from previous RO's..... work on that crap later.

If people complain.... they can go look for another popular MP FPS that has fully functioning enter/exit animations into tanks and other vehicles......

..... Oh wait.

Just my 3 cents :cool:

Besides, people can't expect some friggin real life "excuse me buddy" *shove through the other guys to the exit* in full detail, or popping out to shoot through the windows or over the back.

I'd be cool with doing it the old school way..... let's do the basics, get them working in beta, pop that into the game, then do some tweaking, beta, pop it in the game..... and so on.

I still remember the early tank/truck/ht days of the mod..... flipping trucks on a dime was cool, as well as the tanks that if turned too fast, they'd go nuts too, due to the old UT2004 tank physics (if I remember correctly)

During that time I was screwing around with some UT maps and modeling Sten SMG's, Panzerschrecks & a Stug III..... things are a bit tricky..... and since it was a mod, people knew it was a work in progress, and I think everybody who played, loved being able to test things out, regardless of how buggy it was.... they were using something cool.

Of course this isn't a mod anymore, but beta'ing something that may be missing things until they're stable and not buggy... and then tossing that into the game, and then adding to it later on.... I think most people can enjoy that and have that old "Something is actually in the works, this game is alive, and we're using something new and cool"

But waiting for months? I'm not good with long term suspense, but thems the breaks I guess.... but I'd enjoy testing things out even if they're not complete.

I'd also enjoy a beta server closer to the other side of the world so more people, such as myself, can test these new things out without having to deal with 300-400 + pings.

Those kind of numbers make my penis go limp and sad. :(

I'd also enjoy not having to work ever again, and everything being paid for magically, and hug a rainbow.... but we can't all get what we want :IS2:

Other than Gumrak (and Arad2) I can't think of any map that would benefit by adding APC's. More tanks are definately the way to go.

Spartanovka
Barracks (If you get engineers to take out some Road Blocks.
Com's House
Pav's House
Red October Factory
Fallen Fighters

Seems like there's plenty of space for them on those maps.

I fear that APC's would turn a perfectly good infantry only map into a bum-rush for the cap zone that would now be domidated by a mobile MG bunker with 8 guys hiding inside.

Have some AT & Engineer guys lob an AT grenade or AT Rifle, or have a couple of MG's setup to get 8 easy kills.

Have it so that there's only a one person cap power with the transports, and you have to get out of them and actually occupy space and dirt with troops to get more capping power..... which stalls for enough time for your team to follow/track these big, noisy things to wherever they're going, and mop the floors with them.

If they're trying to clear the way to the cap zone, that means they have to go slower, which means still an easy target.

Frig, they were easy in previous RO's..... a grenade here, a well placed shot there by a normal weapon.... they're not that over powered.

Once a couple of people try to rush on the map, in a day, people around the world will know the most common paths they take, and the easiest way to flank & blow them up.

You are of course correct, Catalavos.

Half-tracks would be completely useless on Apartments, for example.

C'mon, where they on Danzig? Don't be silly

Oh and everybody.... keep in mind that in both ROCA and RO1, the Transports blew up pretty quickly and pretty easily from one good shot from an AT Weapon.... yet people still used them. In both sides, people will try to use them to get a quick cap, and the other people who hate that will be waiting with their AT weapons, sniper rifles and MG's..... just like the old days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@TWI

1. Don't make them as mobile spawn-points or other BF-like crap. You tried to introduce CoD/BF features in RO2 and it failed badly.
2. APCs worked great in RO:O - don't change it, but improve (see #3 and #4).
3. Add animations or cooldown timer where soldier can't insta-bail out from APC
4. Add ability to use halftracks as cover and fire from seats.
5. Release them with new and bigger, open map(s) (current maps are too small, flags are very close to respawn zones and too much CQB combat oriented to properly use them)
6. PROFIT!

Reactions: Nylle and TrOOper
Upvote 0
Praxius, are you serious?

Where the hell would you use half-tracks on Apartments? Where is there room? Narrow streets dotted with tank husks? Really?

Are you serious?

When did I ever mention Apartments as being a good map for transports?

I asked you if they were on Danzig, which the obvious answer is no. (note the question mark at the end of my comment.)

I listed the maps I felt transports could work on, which are the larger maps...... when I referenced Danzig, I was responding to your example about how they'd be useless on Apartments. I noted that they didn't exist on Danzig (which is more or less the same sized map with similar layout), thus Apartments is a bad example as to why transports wouldn't work on any of the current maps.

Transports would work well on most of the current maps with some tweaks..... Apartments isn't one of those maps and I wouldn't expect them to be on that map for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I remember Ramm or Yoshi said the first tank took six month to finish,
cause of all the coding, but after that work is done, newer tanks will be
made in less time.
Are new tanks and APCs are not on the priority list, or does it just take
so much time to finish a new tank / APC?

When the tanks took so much time, caused by the complicated interiors
and animations, i

Upvote 0