• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How about we skip one season event in favour of performance refinement update

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    As much as we love the seasonal updates (for the most part) the game is in dire need of performance update.

Loading times are really slow.
    Frame rate degradation in a period of time.

Servers being inconsistent as each one has own variation of lag... for example, one server can have the well known freeze when someone buys stuff, or another server can have freezes during wave end or better when you kill the boss and everyone just hangs there for 5-10 seconds thinking the server crashed.

A bit of brightness would be nice. Since majority of maps are so dark that you can barely see a thing.
    I'd also argue that Contrast is just a tad too high in the game that causes this whole issue with visibility.

Audio needs a rework as everything sounds bit too muddy.

Speaking of Audio, how about you guys add a radio style voice commands like in kf1 (if i recall people were asking for it for a long time)
    Were depending on a distance from where you can't hear from mouth anymore, so the command gets transmitted through the radio.

Fixing math thing with ammo bonuses from skills.
    Since it makes no sense when you equip a skill that lets you carry couple of more mags, end up with reserve ammo pool of 408 or 192, when mag capacity is usually 20/30

Last edited:
    Someone posted a similar idea not too far back and suggested a "spring cleaning" themed update and I think that's rather appropriate as the spring update is the only one not strongly associated with any sort of event.

Audio has been rough in this game one way or another since early access started and it's a darn shame. A short addendum to your mentions(this is all on v1072);
    • Scrakes and Fleshpounds used to have loud, booming footsteps that would tell you when they were near. Those are now either too quiet or being drowned out by other louder noises and you no longer really hear them.
    • eDAR Trappers sometimes fail to play their audio cue for trapping you and you will get trapped with no warning which is really frustrating. I was taught that if you want something to happen in a game you had to make a video and audio cue for it and this seems to breaking that rule.
    • HMTech-501 Grenade Rifle has a near silent firing noise when NOT in zed time but an acceptable volume firing noise when IN zed time. It really kills the feel of shooting a weapon when you can't even hear it.
    • Winchester 1894 has a near silent firing noise in third person. Oddly enough the lever action part of the firing noise is super loud. I assume third person is a lesser priority than first person but it's really strange spectating a sharpshooter and hearing them ratchet the next shot in but not the actual gunshot itself. Seems like their targets are dying from spontaneous and extremely well-timed heart attacks.
    • I haven't tested it extensively but Hans seems to be ignoring volume sliders for his voice lines(again) and shouting them at full volume regardless of what you have set your options to. This one could just be me imagining things but he is noisy compared to the other bosses.
    • Monster Ball.1: This map introduced a new feature to the game's soundtrack- dynamic song changes based on your location. It's an awesome feature but it sometimes begins playing two songs at once on the "rave" side of the map.
    • Monster Ball.2: Seems like if you die on the "rave" side of the map all game music is silenced when you go to the next map. No fenaggling with audio settings brings music back until you restart the game.
    • Doomstick is super loud in third person. Whenever another player shoots this gun you hear it, even from fairly great distances. This could be intentional but I thought I'd list it anyways as something that does stand out.

Overall it feels like KF2 is getting more and more buggy with every update and as this trend continues it's somewhat beginning to feel more and more like KF1 in that regard. Difference is in KF1 the bugs oftentimes opened up more rewarding and riskier methods of playing the game while so far in KF2 they've just dulled its luster. If I imagine a KF2 that continues down this road in the future I begin to start wishing for news of a KF3 rather than more updates and I find that a little sad.

Upvote 0
    Rave thing sometimes just fails to play when new wave begins and you're just stuck playing without music.

Odd thing about doomstick that i don't understand, does alt fire even shoot all the 4 pellets from its barrel?
    for me it takes much longer to take down sc with that thing than with ol reliable boomstick.

Upvote 0
    I third this idea for the first update coming next year and if that's not possible then try to get one in between events if it's possible. There's a backlog of, admitably not, game-breaking bugs, but noticable enought hat they make you sigh at them still being around after the latest update. We, the players would probably be very happy to point out bugs if we make a effort to make players report them bugs.

Upvote 0
    Giving that one a like as well. While events are always a fun way to come back for more, they are becoming kinda...redundants (mostly the summer and chritsmas one mind you). e predictable as well : three (or four) weapons, one (or two) maps... And usually the extra achievements that come with it.

We're in dire need of something "brand new" for the game. I know I said multiple times in the past that I wish to keep the game simple, and that still holds true. Nevertheless, I believe it could be possible to give a few tweaks to potent results, including (but not limited to) multiple reworks on the existing perks. And why not (I'm going crazy there) bringing a new one? It's been quite a while since the last inclusion and the community proposed multiple interesting ideas to toy with. Either that or more skills for each perks, because after so long, it does feel like we're running circles a bit... And no, prestige doesn't really count either.

That, but your points about technical issues are also very valid. While my computer is nowhere near as incredible as a brand new war machine, there is no reason for it to take TWENTY MINUTES to launch the game... and multiple minutes to start a match.

So yeah, maybe give us one new gun to keep our hunger at bay and bring us a massive patch that will make everything feel new! Hell, you introduced the upgrade system...Expand upon it! I'm sure it could make each weapon feel different.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2326638 said:
    So yeah, maybe give us one new gun to keep our hunger at bay and bring us a massive patch that will make everything feel new! Hell, you introcued the upgrade system...Expand upon it! I'm sure it could make each weapon feel different.

funny enough, someone already datamined new entries for the upgrades in the upgrade system that change various thinga depending on a weapon, check simplecat's weapon changelog thread in general discussion

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Foster Parent

I've noticed some animation impurity with mkb and fal.

Mkb empty elite reload, whole gun just jitters unnaturally until the new mag gets inserted.
    Fal, Full auto the gun's fire animation looks smooth and realistic.... switching to single shot and now suddenly the gun gets aim punched and goes upwards as if you're using deagle in counter strike.

Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2326775 said:
    What does it have to do with everything we said? Tripwire is a team. I suppose they're not only composed of artists.

I think it means you cant just shut down every department and work on "only this thing" because then you have employees who arent doing anything.

So you'd still get other things outside of gameplay tweaks and updates / bug fixes ect. So you'd still maybe get some zed appearances, skins that kind of thing.

Reactions: Tony
    Upvote 0
    PurpleFanta;n2326798 said:
    I think it means you cant just shut down every department and work on "only this thing" because then you have employees who arent doing anything.

So you'd still get other things outside of gameplay tweaks and updates / bug fixes ect. So you'd still maybe get some zed appearances, skins that kind of thing.

Oookay...But that looks like a good thing to me. If they focused the skills of the people who are capable of doing so, it would be nice to tweak a few things as we said. Meanwhile, the few others could bring us something else, as an added "bonus".

You can bet your ass that quite a lot of people will be mad about an update that bring nothing but a balance patch. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Upvote 0
    How about in addition to just a spring clean, include additional weapons. I love KF2 and I think you can never have enough weapons. Maybe more automatic rifles for Mando, more LMGs (M60, MG34 or MG42, RPD, etc), etc. I also quite enjoy the objective based maps as well - gives us something else to focus on eg. defend/protect/etc.

Upvote 0
    The_Pharoah;n2326821 said:
    How about in addition to just a spring clean, include additional weapons. I love KF2 and I think you can never have enough weapons. Maybe more automatic rifles for Mando, more LMGs (M60, MG34 or MG42, RPD, etc), etc. I also quite enjoy the objective based maps as well - gives us something else to focus on eg. defend/protect/etc.

Dude, we've been getting new weapons for litterally EVERY update.

Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2326775 said:
    What does it have to do with everything we said? Tripwire is a team. I suppose they're not only composed of artists.
    These are just my speculations... But I think most of the team moved to other Tripwire projects once the game was released. And now Killing Floor has a support team only. They do their best, but they have to be artists, so they could draw all those cool new clots every few months. Messing with the game core is probably out of their competence.

Upvote 0
    Tony;n2326832 said:
    These are just my speculations... But I think most of the team moved to other Tripwire projects once the game was released. And now Killing Floor has a support team only. They do their best, but they have to be artists, so they could draw all those cool new clots every few months. Messing with the game core is probably out of their competence.

only that kf2 is their game.
    rising storm was made and now supported by the other studio since it wasn't solely made by twi.
    and that bike game was entirely made by another team.

so i highly doubt that twi has left only support team and a few artists working on the game.
    tho there's always a chance that they are brewing something new.

Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2326811 said:
    Oookay...But that looks like a good thing to me. If they focused the skills of the people who are capable of doing so, it would be nice to tweak a few things as we said. Meanwhile, the few others could bring us something else, as an added "bonus".

You can bet your *** that quite a lot of people will be mad about an update that bring nothing but a balance patch. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

So I feel I can jump into the discussion. Team eh? Team of 70 for TW, is it? Around the time Killing Floor premiere, only 10% of those developed the game - 10 people, those 10 blokes were able to pour constant updates to the game each month, events, new characters (despite paid, new) and everything in between - balance was still okayish after like 40 updates. In spite of the current team member count it still sounds like only half of it is busy with stuff to do on a slower rate. I am no analyst to consult which is better, which is worse, in the end turns out less people kept a much more bigger audience satisfied; KF1 days.

And it doesn't look the studio is doing 10 projects simultaneously to be less focused on KF2, no?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I love the idea of the spring cleaning, so to speak. I think this game could definitely use a once-over or twice-over in terms of fixing and cleaning things. I'd have no issue getting one less content drop in favor of a clean-up of the title. That being said, I think Spring would be the best time to do it, because I certainly look forward to the Summer and Halloween events.

Aleflippy;n2326638 said:
    While my computer is nowhere near as incredible as a brand new war machine, there is no reason for it to take TWENTY MINUTES to launch the game... and multiple minutes to start a match.
    I wouldn't say I have a WAR MACHINE, but I've got a brand new build I'm working with - I swear, every game with Tripwires name on it takes forever to get out of the splash screen. Unfortunately my only two examples are KF2 and Rising Storm Vietnam, but man, does it take forever, haha.

Zakxaev68;n2326834 said:
    (despite paid, new)
    I would pay for a new perk or content packs,100%. I had no issues doing it in Killing Floor, I'd have no real issue doing it here. That being said, I can't express enough how thankful I am that we get continuous content drops for free. However, if paying is incentive enough for them to drop more perks, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0