• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection issues or just my imagination?

I had a certain headshot on apartments from 10 meters or less that didn't register with a mosin.

On another note, I've also think I've been invisible sometimes where I've been able to mow people down and they were running at me and didn't seem to respond to either my shooting or presence (though they responded to the bullets by being killed). After a four or so kills, one came on screen and finally killed me, but this was after about 20 seconds. This could be a sync issue, who knows...

Upvote 0
Strangely, on release day I had not a single problem with hit detection. Everything worked fine.

Since the patch there were a lot of shots in close to mid range which should have hit but did not. And I am playing on low-ping servers only.

Maybe just my imagination? At least the number of detection bugs has seriously increased. Used Kar and Mosin on Appartments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll say I've become a pretty good shot so far and have got the layout, feel and rhythm of the top level apartments in Danzig down to a tee.

About 90% of the time I get instant one hit kills, however more than a few times I've hit what should have been instant head shot kills 2-3 times in a row only for nothing to happen.

I specifically remember one instance in which I was playing Axis and was aiming at a Russian in the opposing apartment. he was crouched but had his iron sights up so his head was just above the penetrable wood. I dinged three shots into his head and neck area and he didn't react once. He shot about twice and killed me with the third shot.

I couldn't reproduce this if I've tried but yeah, it's frustrating.

Upvote 0
Yes, we testers noticed this a bit in earlier beta, but have not been able to reliably reproduce it. There are a couple of theories on what the cause is though.

- Are you having trouble hitting stationary players or moving ones?
- Which part of the body is it that seems to be resisting your bullets?
- Are your targets proned or in cover at the time?
- Do you notice any contortion in the enemy model, like the arms pointing the wrong way etc?

Could be to do with the cover system - people attach themselves to objects and the model doesn't follow them properly or something. Models don't even face the right way on static MG's sometimes

BTW When you say hip shotting is more random how do you mean? I figured I just needed to get used to it. When you hip with a bolt you're kinda screwed as they can still shoot back before death and you are defenceless for a short time

Upvote 0
We had this problem in Fallen heroes, in countdown mode. An attacker got into the school, or whatever the first building to defend is (i can't remember now), and two of my teammates and me unloaded a full clip of our mp40 on him. We could now miss because he was at ~10 meters and I could see my bullets poofing on the wall just behind him, like he was a ghost. Only my last bullets seemed to affect him and kill him, but he had enough time to kill my two teamies and injure me. He was crouched, for the record.

It happens a lot in CQB in a lot of maps, but its similar to what happens on many games I play, mainly on my Xbox where lag is rampant if you play from Spain vs americans, so I attributed it to lag. Maybe it's the same problem as the one exposed in this thread tho (my ping is supposed to be ~100ms in RO2, I would know if I could see it ingame :p)

Upvote 0
I've had this happen a few times.

Whenever it does happen though, it's mainly when I'm using the PPsh and trying to hipfire some one else while in a building. One instance I can remember well was when I entered the building on the right of the right bridge and tried to spray a guy, who just ran in from the hole in the wall, down with my PPsh. I'm certain my initial spray following him missed, but then I sent a spray directly up his body starting at his crotch and up to his head. Nothing happened and I got killed. I can't remember seeing any faulty animations or anything, but his did just stop sprinting when I tried the vertical spray. Maybe the server thought he was still sprinting?

One more situation I had was with the scoped 98k on Danzig again. I was hiding behind the Ausf G that sat diagonally from the Propaganda House when I saw a Ruski in the highest window of that office building between the first two caps. I've killed guys there before, so I aimed where I usually do and shot, but nothing happened. I tried a second time, nothing happened. Then I tried a third time and finally killed him. The strange thing about that one was that I never saw the impact of the first two bullets anywhere. Nothing low nor high.

Upvote 0
Yes, we testers noticed this a bit in earlier beta, but have not been able to reliably reproduce it. There are a couple of theories on what the cause is though.

- Are you having trouble hitting stationary players or moving ones?
- Which part of the body is it that seems to be resisting your bullets?
- Are your targets proned or in cover at the time?
- Do you notice any contortion in the enemy model, like the arms pointing the wrong way etc?
I have two instances of this, the worst was as follows (using your points as reference);

- Stationary player on the balcony of the propaganda house (the one overlooking the square).
- He had his back to me and was about 5m away, I aimed and shot him squarely between the shoulder blades with my KAR98, there was a bullet impact noise, blood and a yell from him.
- The player was using the cover system, he was not aiming so was hunched down in a crouch with his back to me.
- There was no contortion of the player model, all the hit effects played as normal except instead of dieing from what should have been a fatal wound he turned and hip shot me with his pistol, then ran off without dieing or needing to bandage.

The ironic thing here is that the player in question was one of my housemates who bought the game and was playing in the same server as me. I went into his room and asked him what happened, he said his character took a hit and yelled but did not die and did not need to bandage either.

So it seems like all the effects on both of our ends that are associated with being shot played but no damage was actually dealt to his character at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a slight delay in the body disappearing after being shot, are you sure that they were not already dead? I only say this because a couple of times I had ranged head shot (over 150m shots) after a couple of seconds the body would disappear.

Not sure about them all but I know one definitely wasn't dead, he was standing up side on to me, not moving one bit so I start shooting him from around 50m, at first I thought it was my aim but then I took my time and got the shots perfect with a MP 40 and literally not a single bullet did anything, I'm confident I hit him with 15 bullets at the very least.

Upvote 0
Having played almost all FPS games available since the first Wolfenstein and Doom etc I must say that I noticed the same thing multiple times when playing yesterday. I said to myself "wtf?" a lot of times where I was 110% sure I should've hit the person I shot at but nothing happened. Most of the times I was able to shoot them more than 1 time and the shot still missed even though it shouldnt have.

Upvote 0
I've had this happen as well, but it's when i tried a new server that had alot of lag spikes. I switched to another server and it's ok. Also if you're shooting a machine gunner you might hit the MG and hits won't register. I've shot at one three times with a rifle and he didn't die. I'm thinking it might be the same thing for rifles, if you hit their guns instead of body they won't get hit.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem again today.
On the balcony overlooking the square & the basement stairs in the Propaganda House.

Unloading 5 semi-auto bullets followed by an entire pistol clip in someone at point blank reach, with each bullet on target - only to have him kill you in 1 shot and walk away is disheartening. :(

Upvote 0