• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the ones who use that "Call of Red Orchestra"-video as prrof that RO has turned into CoD... Damn, you must have sucked at RO:OST. I've had several crazy streaks like that on the smaller OST maps. Try grabbing a PPSh-41 on Lyeskrovy, or whatever it was called (the one with the trenches). OST was actually pretty "fast-paced" on the CQC-intense maps (just like real CQC, believe it or not, lol).

Btw, did the same people complain as much about the stupid PPD-smg (a rare prototype weapon) that was everywhere on every RO:OST map? You all try to hail OST as some kind of perfect saint, but it had very similar problems.

Ah, well. I fully agree with the OP. MkBs and AVTs should be as limited as possible. Makes the really high-level heroes feel special, and having a unique "super-weapon" to strive for and show off to the rest of the team. Without any real cool rewards (as I presumed these to prototypes were supposed to be, what else would be the point of including them?) the "levelling" system feels kinda pointless.

Oh, and I'm guessing that the removal of the classic PPSh-drum magazine from the standard kit was motivated by "balancing"? Fair enough, but why nerf the poor ol' T-34 beyond recognition at the same time?

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
@dogbadger

I think I wrote something similar a few pages previous but you give this argumentation an even bigger voice and more detailed. So thank you.

I do have purchased the game (as stated before bought 4 copies of the DDE) and do enjoy it at times. But lags and the current gameplay bores me after 1 h or so. Playing with a bolt on Pavlov's House on a 64 player server with a 150 ping (I can ping the server @ 30 ms) is no fun. Trying to hit someone who is sprinting with the current lag is a lottery. However on other maps or smaller servers it works much better. Still the game feels soul- and heartless atm and I understand that priority issues must be sorted out first but this might not matter in some time to come. I wish RO2 the best but I fear the worst.
And it seems like that we are a minority as about 75% of the servers seem to run relaxed settings. But as dogbadger stated the new customers might come and go as they are used to from COD etc. needing a new full price update every 8 months or so.

The game has so much potential and as I said before I will try to be patient and wait filled with hope for the better.
I like so many things about it and the animations are the best I have seen ever. The gameplay just needs to be tweaked and the performance optimized and then this given to the modders and mapmakers. It could be so good but tries to be something else that it just isn't.

Upvote 0
I like what you are trying to say, that we are indeed a small "vocal" minority of the player base. One needs to look at something solid, countable rather than our silly opinions in these silly forums.

How about Steam stats? The game opened with 8500 players on the first night. After barely one week, it's down to 4500 and still dropping.

I think what the masses are thinking of the game is pretty clear to me.

I know rak and I've been keeping tabs on those numbers.

That was their opinion. In mine, with the player #'s dropping that fast, and the viewcount on this week old thread up to over 35K I would take that as the signal that the time to change was ASAP.

There is a time in crisis management for overkill, and a time for the sluggish response.

The sluggish response belongs in the category of a false crisis, being hyped up and based on small issues.

The time for overkill, well let me give you an example.
When three people in chicago were killed by cyanide laced Tylenol. The bloody CEO purchased an hour of prime time TV to do an interview and say the following. ALL Tylenol was being recalled, from the whole country, not just the area of incidence. They dident care how old it was, just return it for money back please. Furthermore when Tylenol was returned to the shelf it would have multiple tamper checks to ensure that this could never happen again.

THAT is what I call turning a HORRIBLE situation that could kill a company into POSITIVE marketing.

What would be an overkill solution in this case? well that's up to TWI to think about; although a few good ones have been suggested here. ( IE the survey when you start the game, although that limits you to players who are still playing ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found it interesting that Ramm tried to minimize the opinions of forum members by saying they are the vocal minority.

That may be true, but I couldn't help but think about American politics. It's the vocal minority who vote. But it would be highly inadvisable to cater to the silent majority at the expense of the vocal minority. If I were Ramm's political adviser, I'd strongly suggest a different response. lol

Upvote 0
please twi put in server mutators so that server can choose every loadout detail on the classes and numbers of classes, and even create new custom classes. everybody is happy then because there can be arcade servers where everybody has a mkb42 even the russians or whatever they want. and realism servers can have 100% historical loadouts and unit names. realism people would join realism servers and arcade people would join arcade servers. everybody is happy

2wrm0kx.jpg

Upvote 0
Has anyone thought about how the mkb etc being for the assault class is temporary until they have stats/ranks working properly?

(I hope this is the case, anyways.)

Wouldn't they have stated that to be so already?

They supposedly made a solution to it by limiting it to Assault roles but it's still a bit ridiculous at the amount of players using it every match.

Upvote 0
To the ones who use that "Call of Red Orchestra"-video as prrof that RO has turned into CoD... Damn, you must have sucked at RO:OST. I've had several crazy streaks like that on the smaller OST maps. Try grabbing a PPSh-41 on Lyeskrovy, or whatever it was called (the one with the trenches). OST was actually pretty "fast-paced" on the CQC-intense maps (just like real CQC, believe it or not, lol).

The thing is while RO2 does have individual details and certain things represented better that allows somewhat better realistic results, one thing that (usually) made RO1 shine practically regarding gameplay results and dynamics was the variety of maps that played somewhat differently out. RO2 is not really CoD, but it feels extremely CoDish because you can go far more CHAERG and RAMMING SPEED crazy than you could do in RO1. It was never impossible to begin with, but it usually meant if you do so you are at least familiar about hipshooting and some other things. Now fastforward to RO2 and it has ceased to make any relevance, as the CHAERG crazy suicide-offensive-iniative mindset actually works out like I am playing UT2k4. Or Quake 2. Or CoD. It creates paradoxic uncanny valley that despite it's functional core it just feels wrong on many levels in some ways. Trollkarbine quickscoping fest (harhar) might be exaggerated, but it's very easy just to run around, strafeshot people instantly as you maintain perfect accuracy and player precision when you do all kinds of basic movement and you go for ironsights, which also eliminates any real use for hipshooting unless you are intensionally doing so. You could try the same thing with PPSh and it's not that much different.

Btw, did the same people complain as much about the stupid PPD-smg (a rare prototype weapon) that was everywhere on every RO:OST map? You all try to hail OST as some kind of perfect saint, but it had very similar problems.

Here's the problem:
1. The original hype (or at least what was the impression that was given by RO devs) was that only Heros have access to the rare weapons.
2. Hero status takes a while to achieve\earn.
3. There would be only 1-2 heroes max per team.
4. Also some time in the past, there used to be Elite Assault class seen in the early gameplay footage that was supposed to have access to these rare weapons as well, after attaining enough experience while heroes still had their own priviledges.
5. The Elite Assault is nowhere to be seen in the game, instead Trollkarbine and AVT are zapped to regular Assault class instead.

#2 and #3 supposedly still are truthful besides the bugged stats that makes heroes grow like mushrooms after a rainy day, but from practical point of view it has nothing to do with #4 and #5 and what this "vocal minority" is mostly pointing is not the weapon itself, it's the avaibility and general hype and even in some ways 'promise' (or implication at least) that they would be be something you have to earn and restricted, hence actually making them interesting also from gameplay point of view.

(By the way PPD wasn't really a prototype weapon even when it's quite amusing point that a weapon that became extremely rare past '41 was still awfully common in RO.)

Knowing that people at TWI are quite frank about some things I'd honestly want to ask this frank question:

What on earth happened to the Elite Assault class and even bigger question why on earth indie developer that had solid ground for general reputation suddenly wants to behave like it's willingly digging that solid ground to their own potential grave?

Last time I checked RO was supposed to be this company's pride and one of the cornerstones that helped to build TWI's reputation on the market, until KF came by. It also did the same thing. Now RO2 comes by and while the reputation still is reflected (post launch support and such), have you suddenly lost your reason to pride RO as a whole and suddenly we're pointing fingers in a splintered fanbase and especially magnet it towards this "vocal minority" ?

Don't toss us the "vocal minority" claim or say we're stupid crybabies that are just wrong, that's just dodging the question. It doesn't have to be any holywallotext or the Bible in terms of lenght, a simple answer or explanation would be sufficient. Most of the people involved here wants to know that is TWI going to do anything about it or now that the SDK is coming out fairly soon has the "vocal minority" need to make their own practical solution. Lack of answer just makes the problem more puzzling. Some of us may not like the answer but that's life.

We're asking for a relatively simple answer, we know we may not like it and we can take it. So is it too much to be asked to be given one, please?

Upvote 0
Knowing that people at TWI are quite frank about some things I'd honestly want to ask this frank question:

What on earth happened to the Elite Assault class and even bigger question why on earth indie developer that had solid ground for general reputation suddenly wants to behave like it's willingly digging that solid ground to their own potential grave?

Last time I checked RO was supposed to be this company's pride and one of the cornerstones that helped to build TWI's reputation on the market, until KF came by. It also did the same thing. Now RO2 comes by and while the reputation still is reflected (post launch support and such), have you suddenly lost your reason to pride RO as a whole and suddenly we're pointing fingers in a splintered fanbase and especially magnet it towards this "vocal minority" ?

Don't toss us the "vocal minority" claim or say we're stupid crybabies that are just wrong, that's just dodging the question. It doesn't have to be any holywallotext or the Bible in terms of lenght, a simple answer or explanation would be sufficient. Most of the people involved here wants to know that is TWI going to do anything about it or now that the SDK is coming out fairly soon has the "vocal minority" need to make their own practical solution. Lack of answer just makes the problem more puzzling. Some of us may not like the answer but that's life.

We're asking for a relatively simple answer, we know we may not like it and we can take it. So is it too much to be asked to be given one, please?
I find it very comfortable to read your posts. They are clear and meaningful.
If only TWI could answer us in the same manner :)

Upvote 0
As a start, they need to make it so that the number of other roles scales to the number of players on the server; not the full capacity of the server.

So, players need to fill up squad one (taking rifleman roles) before squad two opens up. No engineers, no second squad leader etc. Until squad one has filled up.
Would be a good solution.
Same for the tankcrew position, Ive been on a server with 20 players on commissar's house and there were 4 tanks driving around, denying any infantry combat or whatsoever concerning infantry.

Upvote 0
^ Good point, thats the only reason I avoid non 64 player servers as it means there are zero bolts and a bigger % of assault rifle trolls. It still doesnt change anything (they lied), same about the SDK.
Idk how it will work, but I think of ARMA2 and how the uber epic modding/editing is one of its greatest MP weaknesses unless ur willing to play on the same server all the time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.