• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help me to buy this game x-D

xka

Jan 16, 2007
Hello.

First, im sorry for my english, i know is awful. Lets go.

I like WWII games, the only game i play online is Call of duty 2, but i have seen red orchestra forum, videos, etc, i think it can be a great game.

Can anyone tell diferences about CoD2 and red orchestra?, what game do you prefer? (well, perhaps it's quite stupid to ask this in a redorchestra forum, but i must do it).

I know 2 advantages in red orchestra: vehicles, reality., but if any1 plays CoD2, please write the main diferences.

Thxs! :)

i played CoD2 a while online.... mainly on "rifle only servers"

the main difference is clearly: the level of realism. Red Orchestra has no Crosshairs and the Bullet needs time to travel, (its not like instant there where you point your gun)

You can't reload a rifle in RO only when its empty!(thinking about bolts, of course) So when you still have a bullet left you can't just squeese a new 5 round clip into that gun (this actually works in CoD2, even with 4 remaining rounds you can reload a full 5 round clip xD )

Then, in RO you "breathe" in CoD2 this effect only appears with a sniper, but in RO its with ALL weapons. So if you out of breath you need to steady your rilfe on somethin (sandbags e.g.) unless you wont make a precise shot.

Then you can sprint in RO. (run for a shot time very fast)
In RO leaning around corners is way more effective.

Then the smg's are that accuarte in RO. they have more recoil, so you aren't able to jump out of a window and spray 3 people with headshots during flight -.-

CQC is more realistic. eg. you can attach a bayonet to your rifle. And you have to "charge" your attack in order to kill wih the first hit.

In RO, you have no indicator for nades.... (this can be really annyoing) but its more realistic. In RO you can "time" your nades. In CoD2 you just throw a nade....

MG's aren't static in RO. There is a special MG gunner class. And they are WAY more precsice than that stupid spray thing in CoD2.

Another difference is: the "learning curve" in RO is more difficult than in CoD2.

I personaly just play infantry maps in RO and i can say: IT KICKS ASS (specially with a bolt ^^ )

uhm well a slight disadvantage of RO is you just play Russian or Germans.... but as the name says its the RED Orchestra OSTFRONT ^^

ah yeah: there is no "manteling" in RO. this means you just cant climp out of a window or clip over a little wall. but most of the maps are so build that you dont really need such a feature.

Overall i can say: if CoD2 was fun for you but you are annoyed by some unrealistic features you definitly should try RO!

hope it helped.....

PS: ah yeah, sorry for my english i tried my best xD

...see you on the battlefield

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used to play COD2 before I found RO. The main differences...

1) RO promotes more realistic infantry battles, in several ways:

- Sub machine guns are much more difficult to use, because the recoil is FAR greater. This makes them much less dominant than in COD2. There is also no crosshair, so shooting from the hip is very difficult - you'll actually find yourself aiming down the sights of sub machine guns, which you would never do in COD2.

- The player moves more slowly - unless you sprint, which you can only do for a short time before your player gets tired. You also can't shoot while sprinting. When crouched, the player will move VERY slowly (unless you sprint). Also, being crouched makes you move more silently, but unlike COD2 it doesn't allow you to move without making ANY noice, so the enemy can still hear you if you're in a silent room.

- When your player is tired because of sprinting or jumping, he will breath heavily, which could give away your position if your hiding or sneaking up on someone. It's also more difficult to keep the weapon steady when you're out of breath.

- Its more difficult to hit your target, because the view is more zoomed out, and also doesn't zoom in when you're aiming down the sights.

- You can't aim down the sights while at the same time for example raising yourself up from prone to crouched. So if you're laying down hiding behind cover, you first have to press the button to crouch up, and then wait until your player has moved up BEFORE you can press the "aim down the sights" button. This gives the enemy a chance to shoot you before you are ready to shoot him. Same thing if you meet an enemy in the open: You can't go to prone while at the same time aiming down the sights to shoot him. So you have to choose: EITHER aim and fire, OR duck for cover. In COD2 you could do both at the same time.

- Usually one bullet will kill you. And if you do get hurt, there are no health-packs.

- If you're hit in the hand, you drop your gun. If you're hit in the foot or leg, you can't move for a few seconds.

- There is "suppressing fire": The view shakes and blurs when a shot passes close to you. So MG's are more powerful than in COD2 (and also far more portable).

- You can steady your weapon on a sand-bag or a window frame, for example. This makes hiding behind cover much more important than in COD2. Especially standing up without having anything to stabilize your weapon on will make it very difficult to hit anything (especially if you're out of breath).

2) There are vehicles:

- Transport vehicles, which anyone can drive and ride with, to move faster and somewhat safer to an objective.

- Many different types of tanks, which only players who play as either tank commanders or tank crewmen can use. You can have several players in one tank, for example a commander who keeps lookout for enemy tanks and commands the driver and gunner; a gunner for the main gun and coaxial MG; a driver; a hull gunner, manning the hull-mounted MG.

- Assault guns (which work much like tanks).

3) There are special classes:

- Squad leader, who can mark targets and call in artillery or an air strike to attack the target.

- Combat engineer, carrying a "satchel" full of TNT, which can blow up locked doors, walls, enemy tanks or whatnot.

- Anti-tank soldier, carrying a PTRD anti-tank rifle (sovjet), or Panzerfausts (german).

- Sniper (usually only one per side).

4) Most of the maps are larger than in COD, some MUCH larger. They are also generally more realistic.

5) You can't climb over low walls, or through open windows. For me this is one of the few drawbacks compared to COD2.

6) Hands down, COD2 has more advanced and nicer-looking graphics, at least if you have a good graphics card. RO possible looks more realistic, though.

7) There is no single player campain in RO - it's all about multiplayer. Which to me is a good thing, because I only play online anyway.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion only and should NOT be seen as any kind of objective "truth".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played CoD1 and CoD2 since the first was realeased... But now I'LL NEVER GO BACK TO COD2... You'll be supprised how detailed it is compared to the other games and. But hehe first time I played this I was like "WTF! This is the ugliest **** i've ever seen" But that was over after 1 hour and if your a realism nerd and like guns.... This is the closest you can get forget CoD, MoH and BF! But I warn you... It's not as you think a FPS shooter should be so give it time if you buy it!

Upvote 0
My brother bought CoD2 and I haven't touched it that much after he got it.

The main differences between CoD2 and RO is its gameplay. CoD2 (I know you will kill me for this) has got some of the best single-player sequences I have ever seen, and RO has none and its AI bots fall flat (they can't even shoot back properly!) in practise mode.

However: RO Multiplayer > CoD2 Multiplayer

The most notable aspect I noticed in CoD2MP was two things: Unbalanced weapons and worthless grenades (can't cook them, dammit D:<). I will admit that the multiplayer was fun, if you're looking for something that doesn't require much usage of your brain (which all of us need now and then :D)

RO is all multiplayer, and playing it is very personal. The weapons are very very well balanced and the community help new people often. This isn't necessarily about being at the top of the score chart (though it is fun to get up there as a rifleman :)), it's about kicking the enemy as a collective team. The multiplayer can also get very intense. Crawling on your belly for about 50+ yards to blow up a tank or kill a machine gunner can happen.

The vehicles are top notch. I really have no idea how to use a BF2/1942 style tank anymore, the seperate vech positions have grown on me. Vehicle combat often involves some quick thinking and some smarts (angle your tank and their cannon shells will bounce right off!)

The only thing I can say against RO is its learning curve. RO's multiplayer is nothing like anything ever in mainstream gaming (cept probably AA and Armed Assault), so expect culture shock. ;)

Upvote 0
The weapons are very very well balanced and the community help new people often.

I personally think CoD's weapons are more balanced than RO's, but that's what I like about RO. In real life, both sides don't agree to balance their firepower, you use whatever you can get.

Bolt Action Rifles: 3 Russian, 1 German
Semi-Automatic Rifles: 1 Russian, 2 German
Battle Rifles: 0 Russian, 1 German
Sub-Machine Guns: 3 Russian, 2 German
Machine Guns: 1 Russian, 2 German
Pistols: 1 Russian, 2 German

The Mosin Nagant MN91/30 is also much better than the Kar98k. The MN91/30 was thought to be the most accurate rifle of the war, and it definitely proves itself in RO. In RO, each weapon has different stats and noticeable advantages/disadvantages over another. In CoD, although it says the stats differ, the advantages or disadvantages aren't noticeable.

It took me about 30 minutes to get good at CoD2 because it's the same as every other FPS out there, but I didn't get good at RO until a couple months ago and I've been playing since it came out. I liked the challenge of trying to get better and better, and that's why I still play it. RO and Medieval 2: Total War are the only games I have on my computer now.

Upvote 0
I wont say that COD2 is simply rubbish, because it isn't, and you play it as you say so that probably wont be helpful to your question.

I played quite a lot of COD2 but don't have much time for it now as RO fulfills my ww2 needs and I have plenty other shooters.
However there is know reason why you can't enjoy both if you like WW2, as they play very differently.
The detailed posts above are spot on correct but I'll say what I gained from swapping to RO, and why I like it-

A sense of acheivement-the game was difficult to get into at the start so it was rewarding when my skills improved.

A feeling that it didn't matter if my tired old hands could not twitch as fast as they used too, using my head could keep me going.

An all round emotional experience - it's more intense and unlike most shooters, some of my favourite battles I have actually been on the losing side - it's tough going and emersive.

I have always been interested in WW2 but now have a greater appreciation of more aspects of the war, not just the famous tanks, equipment, battles etc. It created a greater historical interest.

An end to the feeling that a lot of people on servers were cheating.(because I knew quite a few were) - just to make myself clear I mean there are probably NO cheaters in RO- or very few.

An end to the feeling that I was being sold short by a lazy effort (you know the what i mean if you owned the 1st COD and UO before- which were better), as the series went from an inspired landmark title to a cash cow (money making machine).
It's a good feeling to support a game that is clearly made by enthusiasts, who want people to enjoy the experience. (though I felt that way with Vietcong till pterodon hit me with VC2)

All I miss from COD2 -
Very smooth graphics and performance, M1 rifle and lee enfield (the rifle matches were fun), search and destroy, and headquarters, a little bit.

Basically COD2 made me feel that I was in one of the WW2 comic books I used to get for christmas, which is fun for a while- but RO, as i'm sure you know, trys to make you feel you were there, while still being very enjoyable.
Uness you don't like the sound of what ppl have posted here, you won't be disappointed by RO and you can be part of something a little bit special.

btw when you said 'help me buy this game' i thought you were asking for money. I want you to get it- but not that much

Upvote 0
First, thx all for replies.

I bought it yesterday, my first impresions:

-I dont like steam but that doesnt affect gameplay

-Reality is impresive. You dont know if that litle thing far far away is a friend or enemy..shoot and. ooops,..message "you shoot an allie" ...:D . You havent a "magic" map that show you where is that foe that is firing you. You havent the aiming cross. With rifles you must load the next bullet. I like this types of detail.

-Highly Difficult. Like someone has said, imposible to play ok in one day. I killed someone but often be killed, i say often?..very often i mean ;)

-I love seeing the tanks moving across battlefield, i have to use one!

-I play yesterday in 4 battlefields and all missions was with russian attacking and germans defending..Well, in WWII german also attacked a lot of times.

-I notice very quickly of team work necessity. In my team any of the engeneers blow some doors (i suposse engeneer must do that), and we were masacrated because we had only a way; the supress fire importance, etc.

-One thing i don like is the manual, very poor, i will see this page to find information .

I like this game, no doubt, but i will need some time to avoid doing the ridicolous like yesterday, killing 2 guys of my team or beeing killed because when i opened fire, i havent bullets...arrrggg :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
All the people thinking that cooking grenades is realistic - sorry. It isn't. CoD2 grenades are superior to RO's. Also, in real life you CAN reload a stripper weapon mid clip. I don't see where you got the idea you couldn't. So, also more realistic in CoD2.

And RO is not as realistic as it gets. Try Armed Assault, OFP or Infiltration for UT.

Im a noob in RO, but not in CoD2, and i must say that CoD2 is not more realistic with granades. Is real to throw a granade so much long, flying above buildings??..imposible. Is real to calculate with so much exactitude when to throw the enemy that is firing you to more than 50 meters and kill him with granade??..i think itsn't.

Definitively, granades are not realistic in CoD2..but CoD2 isnt realistic..its an arcade game. that has a good side and a bad side.

Upvote 0
All the people thinking that cooking grenades is realistic - sorry. It isn't. CoD2 grenades are superior to RO's. Also, in real life you CAN reload a stripper weapon mid clip. I don't see where you got the idea you couldn't. So, also more realistic in CoD2.

And RO is not as realistic as it gets. Try Armed Assault, OFP or Infiltration for UT.

Could you say why cooking nades isn't realistic?

Upvote 0
Being probably one of the few people on this forum that has thrown a real grenade, RO does it the best. But there are still flaws with grenades in RO as well. Cooking grenades is realistics but also very dangerous! Yes you could reload a weapon that relies on stripper clips (not the M1 Garand). But you would have to do it with care (double feed, jam issues) and probably one round at a time which would be time consuming. The issue alone of a double feed is enough to warrant to never load a rifle that still has rounds left in it. If you tried to close the bolt with out looking you might detonate the one in the chamber and injure or more likely kill yourself as your bolt assy flies apart in your face.

Upvote 0
Cooking grenades, though may being unrealistic, would be so much better in CoD2. The only way to kill people with a grenade is to drop one behind a camper or to drop it about 10 yards or more ahead of someone, and that's not even a guarantee.

The grenades are just...fecking useless in that game. Grenade kills are fluke kills in that game. :mad:

And yes, you can reload a rifle mid-clip, though it just isn't realistic how you can keep stuffing in 5 round clips into a mosin-nagant. Hand-loading bullets into the chamber is more realistic (I've seen a HL WWI mod do this, very very awesome :D)

Oh, and congrats on getting the game! Hope to see you on the battlefield (name: [*LM*]Jax)

Upvote 0
Being probably one of the few people on this forum that has thrown a real grenade, RO does it the best. But there are still flaws with grenades in RO as well. Cooking grenades is realistics but also very dangerous! Yes you could reload a weapon that relies on stripper clips (not the M1 Garand). But you would have to do it with care (double feed, jam issues) and probably one round at a time which would be time consuming. The issue alone of a double feed is enough to warrant to never load a rifle that still has rounds left in it. If you tried to close the bolt with out looking you might detonate the one in the chamber and injure or more likely kill yourself as your bolt assy flies apart in your face.

I've been taught to throw grenades, and no way in hell (sorry for using that word) were we EVER told to hold it for longer than ABSOLUTELY necesarry when "primed". It's an explosive you're holding and as soon as you set it off, GET RID OF IT. Like fire crackers, grenades can (and have) explode the moment you drop the safety. They are more reliable than they were back in the day, but no sane person would drop the "pin", then count to four and throw it in real life.

As for the rifles, no, it is quite easy to reload a Kar-98 or a similar bolt mid-clip. Just cock, and use the stripper to insert any number of extra rounds it'll hold. Take the stripper out again, work the bolt and presto.

PS. You can also reload the M1 Garand mid-clip, though it has the uncanny tendency to snap shut on you, which could result to be painful, but it was really quite quick and easy. Reloading mid-clip is really a game thing though, most soldiers shot off their rounds and then reloaded. In real wars there are really no instances where you need a full clip or magazine as real wars are far more static than what we have in RO. Armed Assault gets very close and if you play that, you notice you hardly ever reload mid-clip.

Upvote 0
The grenades are just...fecking useless in that game. Grenade kills are fluke kills in that game
You rarely kill players who aren't bunched up in each other's way, or already stunned, yes I agree - BUT in COD2 you did use them to clear areas and force enemy to move against their will so I would argue they are not completely useless.

Although the developers decision to remove nade cooking was initially a big disappointment , thinking back to the old system that in UO it was probably for the best. The countdown for the nade was indicated by the flashing x-hair, and was regular as clockwork (unlike RO where there's no indication and if I'm not mistaken a slightly random fuse length).
This for instance made it too easy in UO to make a nade blow at window level a floor or 2 above when you were flush with the wall below, killing the guys upstairs. (pavlov's house a good example)
Good fun yes - but as ever, when it comes to realism, RO wins again.

Oh sorry xka nearly forgot - nice one for getting the game, enjoy , see you in there etc.
(thats the thing , now you have bought the game you might find yourself getting carried away on the forums chatting about the details of throwing grenades, for example)

will you be playing under the name xka?

Last edited:
Upvote 0