• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hardcore Realism, Realism and Mainstream Mode

NOW you're starting to make some good points with sound arguments.

You're right that sales isn't proof, so I take that back, but you can't deny that COD4MW has/had many more players in general than RO did/does. I'm sure TI would like to convert some new (or bring back) PC players from the console.

You are right about the difference in marketing, too. I hadn't considered that.

No biggie, I'm not here to make friends or enemies, just express what concerns me and point out certain aspects.... I'm not here to try and insult you or always counter everything you have to say, as I don't know you, nor have any personal opinion on your character.... all I know is what you say and I leave it at that.

If they could get RO onto the consoles, then I could see the population growing. The problem is that PC ports to consoles tend to lose a lot of features. I know each Half-Life version that was ported over to PS2/3 have lost a lot of maps, weapons, and game styles..... and I just learned yesterday from my co-worker that he has Team Fortress 2 on his PS, while I just got it on the PC, and the PS version only has a small list of maps, no customized maps to download, no unlockable weapons or outfits, and I don't think they get achievements.

So what would happen to RO if it was ported to Console, I am not sure, but another problem that can happen is that RO does use a lot of various keys and buttons to operate the game decently. Along with mouse aiming, I think console players would be pretty handicapped and need additional features added to help them out.... or divide the community between PC's and Console players.

I think something else I didn't explain very clearly about why I'm a bit opposed to the different difficulty settings and additional eye candy on screen to help you along, is that I found offline practice mode was a good way for new players to have really dumb enemies that they can take some time learning how to operate the vehicles and weapons that would operate very much the same as online.

The problem I see is that if you have different styles of game play involved, then you have different styles to learn how to play, thus extending the time that is needed to learn the game.

What I mean is that if you start playing on say the Arcade'Style first and get used to how it all works, you grow acustomed to certain aspects of the game being involved in your game play, such as crosshairs, health meters and objective icons. Then you decide to play online or on a different server with different settings that have your crosshairs gone, health meters gone and icons....... so then you have to learn all over again in this style on how to play without those things.

So what I see is that either people will lock themselves into only one style of game play, or take forever to figure out all the game styles and be good at them.

I just don't see the community benifitting from such a system.

Let me see if I can think of something in between what everybody wants..........

I know:

As a hybrid of your idea and what others want.... how about rather then having various game style settings, why don't we have new players to the game have several levels of GUI graphics that adjust accordingly to their game style?

As an example, say you just bought the game, installed it and online ready to play a map. At the very begining, just like tool tips popping up, you'd start with wide cross hairs to show your general hip aiming direction and a focal crosshair overlapping your iron sights to show you where you should be aiming. Also include health meters and objective icons.

Now, depending on your statistics in game and how good you are, those things either reduce in size or reduce in opacity so that you're not able to use those things as easily and you gradually get pushed into using the game pro-style when many of these things just vanish off your screen and it's all second nature to you. When you start sucking again, those things begin to return on your screen.

Or another option is to have your first map/round with those things on your screen but after say one or maybe five deaths, they are removed, and only show up at the start of a map.

That way people don't have to worry about the community being split up into different sections, new players would have more to help them out against vets, and vets wouldn't have to worry about other people who are good at the game slaughtering them with tools they don't have on their screen.

Thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------

Funny, because I agree with you.

You go on and post a large worthless post about people not reading, yet your grasp of the English language is piss poor. This is evident about how you misinterpreted my entire post.

At that point, I stopped reading your post.

This forum is full of ****ing dumbasses. Not talking to anyone in particular here.

I already know you were agreeing with me. I was agreeing with you as well and just decided to add my two cents on what you touched on. The difference is that I actually read your comments, while you just admitted you didn't even bother to read mine and skipped it.... so it is not I who's out of the loop on things here.

If you did bother to read, you'd catch this part:

"I stated my views on the post quoted in my response, and those views/comments are directed generally at said quoted text.... if and when I want to quote something in specific of what you said, I'll do so.

I didn't call you out, I didn't make you into an example, and my response you quoted was directed towards what Flogger23m said.... not you.

It would appear that it is not I who has the problem with reading."

My comments were directed at what you said, but nowhere there does it state that I disagreed with you. It did eventually end up on a related tangent and speaking generally, but my issue had to do with how Agent()()9 decided to take what I said in response to your post as personally directed at him and went on the attack on me. My comments were towards the idea, not the individual, and I'd like it if other people could keep it to that level, because flinging crap at one another isn't going to solve anything.

Maybe it's my accent. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I'm against three modes, strongly. Especially if there is an "easy" jump in and play mode, do you know what happens when you have such a mode? Everyone plays it. And nothing else. That happens in ArmA2 at the moment (5 levels of difficulty :(), all the servers are on the second easiest and it's .... bad :(

Even two, only the hardcore of the hardcore will play on the "realistic realism" setting, most will play on the other setting, and so will then attract those who would like to play realistic realism since, after all, what server are you going to pick: the server with 5 people on the realistic setting or the one with 48 people on easy?

I don't think it will split the community much, or if it does you will have %5 realistic fans, 95% easy "I-don't-have-to-think-as-hard" fans. The big problem is that people will always play the easiest mode, especially if they're coming from CoD or something, they will stick with what they know.

The realism of the whole game is always equal to the lowest level of realism offered.

Upvote 0