• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Half-Life 3 speculation thread

DraKon2k

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
This is my official post on how I stumbled upon my recently disclosed piece of information. The credibility will be determined by you.

Flow of information

spitfire1945 <--- Leveraged <--- Informant <--- Source connected with Valve

The information that I recently disclosed was 2nd tier information. 2nd tier information spans out on 2 levels. Leveraged is or was in contact with a contact that is friends with this Source connected with Valve.

The Informant contacted Leveraged with some information, and Leveraged wanted to see what part of that information could be shared with you while still maintaining the integrity of Valve secrets, so he came to me (spitfire) to get my opinion on it. We are still not 100% certain of the credibility of the Informant… however, everything he's said so far has been correct dating back before the announcement of CS:GO, so we're optimistically hopeful.

Players

Who is Leveraged? Leveraged is a very fine gentleman who was part of the ARG group that was invited to Valve for Portal 2 release. His credibility is very high. In fact he even helped debunk the latest Half Life ARG phenomenon that was going around. Oh, he also created the Portal 2 ARG Wiki & Valve ARG Network. Leveraged wanted to release this info but needed a platform to do so. That is why he approached me. After quite a lengthy discussion we decided to release the info the masses.

What I've been told

I will quote you exactly what I was told.
Quote:
Gabe has given the go ahead to drop hints for the next half life game.
What this means to us.

It is basically confirming that all the random things we've been seeing around Valve games relating to Half-Life are not people hallucinating on LSD. Nothing less nothing more. Do not assume anything else. You know what happens when people assume.

However, I don't want to further discuss this further. The Informant has shared more information beyond this but I am choosing not to share more info because if we do we can kiss Steamcast's professional relationship with Valve goodbye. I believe in journalism but not aggressive journalism. It's not like we are exposing a political tyrant. Plus I wouldn't want to ruin anything for Valve in their future endeavors and especially ruin any potential surprises (if there are any) for the rest of us.

Responsibility

In the event that this information turns out to be wrong because we've been fed the wrong information then I and Leveraged have agreed to solely take the blame for it. Not my co-hosts, Sam or Brad. Steamcast has no part take in these matters.

Final Word

I know everyone is frustrated, everyone is tired of waiting and as Valve's biggest fan I am too. I just want everyone to hold their heads together and just follow through with things. Personally, this is not a situation I wanted myself to be in but the Informant came to us, and sometimes you have to man up and take risks even if everyone else hates you for it.
From the Steam Forums

Also:

half_life_2_episode_3_clues_in_tf2_comic_by_general_cornwaffle-d4jc03j.jpg

Plus from what I read everywhere the server status @TF2 is now "gordon" instead of the usual "online".

Also look at the names on the socks in VALVEs Portal 2 comic:
randolph_03.jpg

This might finally be it! :eek:

Last edited:
They've been dropping "hints" for ages now. "Hints" are worthless until they get something concrete out there such as media, announcements or even a freaking release date.

We all already know HL3 is coming, it was an inevitability just as the coming of Halley's Comet, we just need to have details not these bits of nothing that these "hints" amount to. In fact, at the rate this is going, Halley's Comet will have returned and left before we get solid HL3 information.

Upvote 0
I can't even remember what happened in Episode 1 and 2 anymore. Or what kind of cliffhanger it had. When something takes that long this episodic build-up to some great finale has really failed miserably. I would much rather have had something, even if it wasn't going to be groundbreaking, but just some kind of finish. Then just focus making the next HL3 with totally new stuff and whole story and experience in the same package that you can remember for years to come.

To think about it, Valve keeps releasing games with haste(Portals, TF2, CSGO, L4Ds, Dota) and this one takes nearly 5 years to even see anything about it. Just wondering what kind of writers block they must have had, because I doubt we will see new engine like with HL2.

Upvote 0
It's about ****ing time. Gabe Newell can go **** himself after saying the HL2 episodes were HL3, and claiming the sole reason for going episodic was so we wouldn't have to wait six years for a sequel. HL2 release date: 2004. Current date: about to be 2012. Looks like even with episodes we waited 8 years for a sequel, and the bull**** episodes were abandoned.

Upvote 0
HL3 is the next logical step for Valve.

I'd be more interested in the speculation about how the game is going to be.

There were rumors about PS3 exclusivity. I thought that would be ridiculous, but then I thought about it with a more opened mind.

PS3 exclusive can be read as "not coming out for 360" Portal 2 had Steam integration in PS3 and cross platform coop between PC and PS3. Maybe they want to expand that integration further and leave 360 completely out?

-Right after Portal 2 release, Gabe Newel said that Portal 2 would be their last game with a single player campaign.
-The guy from Sony said that their next exclusive will blow everybody's mind.
-All of Valve's newest projects have been multiplayer (except Portal 2 which was half SP/Half MP).

So my purely speculative theory is that HL3 will be a cross-platform PC-PS3 multiplayer coop adventure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HL3 is the next logical step for Valve.

I'd be more interested in the speculation about how the game is going to be.

There were rumors about PS3 exclusivity. I thought that would be ridiculous, but then I thought about it with a more opened mind.

PS3 exclusive can be read as "not coming out for 360" Portal 2 had Steam integration in PS3 and cross platform coop between PC and PS3. Maybe they want to expand that integration further and leave 360 completely out?

-Right after Portal 2 release, Gabe Newel said that Portal 2 would be their last game with a single player campaign.
-The guy from Sony said that their next exclusive will blow everybody's mind.
-All of Valve's newest projects have been multiplayer (except Portal 2 which was half SP/Half MP).

So my purely speculative theory is that HL3 will be a cross-platform PC-PS3 multiplayer coop adventure.
The guy from sony was no guy from sony, it was geoff keighley hinting about The Last of Us which was reveiled at the VGAs. Gabe Newell backed away from that statement he made. And I don't see why they would not release it for 360 therefore loosing lots of potential sales.

And Zips, over the last few weeks there has been a concentration of hl-related hints like never before.

And at least this

~December 15, 2011
  • Team Fortress 2 Game – Server update
Typing “status” into the console while playing in a Valve-hosted TF2 server prints this line: “account: logged in (Status 'Gordon')”

is not just something made up by paranoid hl fans. Also, just up, the new christmas sale picture:

click

Only game referenced to in this pic is obviously HL with the crowbar and the lambda necklace, which has 3 glinting reflections. Coincidence?

Upvote 0
The guy from sony was no guy from sony, it was geoff keighley hinting about The Last of Us which was reveiled at the VGAs. Gabe Newell backed away from that statement he made. And I don't see why they would not release it for 360 therefore loosing lots of potential sales.

Well that kinda destroys the theory. I still hold on to the Coop part though.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the way Valve has neglected Half Life they should just $%^&ing announce it and stop with this teasing crap. I'm SO tired of Valve coming out with games not named Half Life 3. DotA 2 is the sole exception for me xD

Of course if HL 3 is, as I've read in the past about it, something a valve person said to the effect of "unlike anything ever made before" I'll take all the negativity I've had towards Valve for years now back.

Upvote 0