• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade throwing types - Overarm & Underarm

sturmfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Basically in RO:OST you can throw over arm or a very limited under arm throw.

I propose an update version of the underarm throw whereby you can actually throw a fare distance underarm however you are limited in height, which is not a bad thing in if the situation and enviroment calls for it. What with proper grenade physics, i.e rolling on the floor, I think an underarm throw would be beneficial when the player want to roll a grenade down say, a corridor, stairway or small crevis and not launch full pelt with an overarm throw which may gain too much height when the target is close.

Also regarding throwing stances and animations, I think there should be different animations for the different type of grenade,

i.e F1 pineapple grenade which was commonly thrown like this by Russian and America soldiers, (British threw over-arm)
hand-grenade1.jpg

Stick grenades such as Russian AT grenades and German M24 Grenades should be thrown like this as the stick part of the grenade allows to be thrown further, throwing over-arm (RO current animation style) wouldnt gain the greatest distance as seen in RO at the moment
5158057990_667ef5d66f.jpg

Over-arm in the old RO:OST fashion should only be used when prone as seen here
germangrenade.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sturm

Last edited:
I don't feel the differing animations are a must, but having distinct tactical benefits to over/under hand nade lobbing should be considered.
Yes but think how silly it would look if a grenade did different things from a 3rd person perspective but used the same animation.

I DO think it would be pretty sweet if you could roll grenades down stairs and surfaces. It bugs me that grenades in most games today (including RO) come to a dead stop when they hit the ground, as if bouncing or rolling are non existent phenomenon.

Last edited:
Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
I found the under arm throw in RO:OST clumsy and awkward, occasionally Id try to throw out of a window or over a wall and completely miss judge how far or close it would go, its a very strage type of throwing as it isnt really an underarm toss, more of a underarm drop with very limited range.

Sturm

which is exactly why it is nice, as it allows you to tip a grenade over a wall. If it started with more power that wouldn't be possible

Upvote 0