• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade support

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Holding your position or if your troops attack objective you need lot of grenades. Stalingrad urban warfare - house to house fighting consumed lot of them due to type of battle itself. Both armies used them to prevent entering of unexplored rooms, where enemy should be. My idea is about supporting your troops by grenades. Every new spawned soldier could grab crate with grenades or carrying pack for them. There should be limited supplies ofcourse or just one crate per new spawn or something other ...

Main idea is to bring some grenades for your defenders-attackers in package form. Ammount of packs or other things should be consultable.

While soldier carry grenade pack he cant use primary weapon, he must drop it somewhere if he need to shoot.

In destination soldier just drop package in safe place, after that soldiers could pick some grenades limited by number of grenades in package.

My idea is usable while you need grenades in area of interest and you are too far from nearest supply spot.

There should be extra score if your delivered pack of grenades bring death to enemies. No matter who throw them.

Here is example - pictures of german grenade pack, soviet systems should be similar:
stielhandgranate24_eight_754.jpg

stickgrenades_250.jpg

Last edited:
There are some issues with too many grenades in games.

You play the same map in ROHOS over and over so you know after a while where to throw exactly to land in highly populated spots. Especially with respawning every 30 seconds or so the same spot will be crowded with enemies.

Although loads of grenades are certainly realistic, its one of the ways people don't like being killed too much as grenades can be thrown from a position where the thrower cannot be hit (like the other side of a building). So you simply die without being able to do anything about it, and people generally dont like that. In the same way as people don't like getting hit by random arty.

There was a mutator in the mod that allowed everybody to have unlimited nades, or high amounts of nades. And generally guns became nearly useless especially as most maps offer cover every 3 meters to hide behind to evade riflers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My idea is not about unlimited grenades. How sad that you always imagine wrong part of idea.

try to imagine my idea with limited grenade crate.

Example: only one crate can be spawned, if crate is depleted than it can spawn again on player spawn point with delay or not.

Skilled player should pick crate and move it to important location of battle to resupply soldiers with new grenades.

Or crate should be dropped in safe place/important place - extra source of grenades for bad times.
=====================================================
CONCLUSION: My idea is not about unlimited grenade wall of explosions. Stalingrad urban battle is new type of brutal warfare - more used grenades than in normal battle. It could be new strategic feature for game. I dont want rain of grenades.

Also there should be maps where soldiers dont have grenades only grenade crate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i will think about danzig for example:

all spawn, one picks up crate[6/6] and moves it to one off the bridgeheads(or between both caps behind the wall of the docks)
few die respawn and go for the cap again toss both nades pick up nades form crate and so on and so on so there would be way way to much nades ... it has to much nades already

Upvote 0
Little OT:

The Soviets threw grenades into any room, cellar, or rubble-cave of which they were even slightly suspicious, since gratuitous rubble worked to their advantage. Chuikov's "hand-grenade rule" held that no soldier should move without throwing a grenade first, and never move farther at a time than he could throw another one. His troops used flamethrowers without hesitation.

Chuikov dispensed with conventional notions of platoons and companies, creating a unit called a "shock group." One shock group included three sub-units: a storm group, a reinforcement group, and a reserve group, in a structure intended to take advantage of the tactics already described. The storm group had eight to ten soldiers, armed with machine guns, grenades, daggers and shovels (used as axes or clubs as necessary).

http://everything2.com/title/Stalingrad+Academy+of+Street-fighting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so will soldiers be caring these grenade crates along with their dual primary weapons and dual pistols? :rolleyes:

the game already has too many grenades as it is. anyone that has played for more than a month would tell you that. yet, you want HOS to have MORE grenades just because it's in an urban environment and you provide what you think is "evidence" to support your suggestion? ok, you know what, the US army tested the use of the bat bomb in WWII so should Darkest Hour add this as a feature to their next release?

come on pete, we are way past the point of rationality here....

btw i don't think anyone's even asked you yet....have you even PLAYED RO before?

Upvote 0
just reply to rain of grenades songs, not against you

Of course I read it. Twice infact. As you seem completely inept at understanding not only the in game scenarios and equality but also researching correctly, I think a song was an appropriately silly response to an equally silly question.

Do you have dreams and then post? Or watch movies then post?

Come play RO with us, so we can explain and show you how game flow in relation to realism is important.

Upvote 0
Another issue: Currently, there are almost no options for Squad Leader to get more smoke grenades, except suicide/die for respawn.

Another issue: People are doing suicide to get more weapons of certain types. A sniper could do multiple suicides on spawn to provide sniper rifles to whole team.

I call it 'exploiting game mechanics'. To prevent it, game mechanics should be changed.

Upvote 0
I play game more than 1 year and I think there should be more methods how to obtain grenades in urban maps.

Some positions are unreachable by grenades, map like Zhitomir1941 offer you lot of them. My favorite place is edge of stairs or that long hall in first objective fight. There is simple methods how to avoid grenade death = dont be stupid, move your *** carefully and imagine results of your movement style.

Upvote 0
I play game more than 1 year and I think there should be more methods how to obtain grenades in urban maps.

Time played does not equal understanding :rolleyes: If your so "experienced" why do you frequent these boards with uneducated suggestions.

is simple methods how to avoid grenade death = dont be stupid, move your *** carefully and imagine results of your movement style.

Yet you still want Grenade rain. How much team killing will happen due to people like you spamming every room they see with a box of grenades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yet you still want Grenade rain. How much team killing will happen due to people like you spamming every room they see with a box of grenades.

We are throwing grenades, no grenade boxes ;). No matter you see only wrongest scenarios, if I tell always one box could be available in map you always telling stories about rains. There is no suggestion how hard is deliver thing like that to battle zone due to weight, no words about that soldier who carry one is unable to shoot, no story about what happen when box is empty - you must grab another with slow walking speed to deliver it to suitable position (nearest spawn point of players), also grenades in box are not unlimited - you cant have box still ready near you someone must take it again if box is empty - that mean time to delivery ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We are throwing grenades, no grenade boxes ;). No matter you see only wrongest scenarios, if I tell always one box could be available in map you always telling stories about rains. There is no suggestion how hard is deliver thing like that to battle zone due to weight, no words about that soldier who carry one is unable to shoot, no story about what happen when box is empty - you must grab another with slow walking speed to deliver it to suitable position (nearest spawn point of players), also grenades in box are not unlimited - you cant have box still ready near you someone must take it again if box is empty - that mean time to delivery ....

Its quite cute when you get all defensive of your silly suggestions.

You can have guys standing about firing 2 grenades each, then grab another 2 each and repeat . . . this creates chocolate grenade rain at the doors to a cap zone, or into spawn routes or or or many bad things. . . So would there be a grenade carrier class? would someone choose to be a delivery man in an fps? does someone get their rifle and all these grenades?

Would the user of the grenade box be able to use their own box and become a bringer of rain?? You have preached realism many times on many threads including this one, so if you deny that the box carrier can use this box of grenades to give him about 10 grenades then you are simply a hypocrite. Now tell me how a man with 10 grenades to spam around the place is an awesome suggestion? :rolleyes:

Too many grenades ruin games. Im pretty sure I can get most of the community to back me on that (not only specific to RO btw).

No matter you see only wrongest scenarios

Correct. Now ask yourself, is this a bad thing OR is perhpas the best way to solve problems. Same idea as alpha/beta testing were a major purpose is to find flaws and negative things in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0