• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gravity's Rainbow - The First Bug War

HeadClot

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2010
Utah, United States
I am announcing my first total conversion mod for Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad.

Gravity's Rainbow - The First Bug War

The Mod is heavily influenced by Star Ship Trooper and the environments in James Cameron's AVATAR; The first bug war are set in a Cluster of Solar Systems known as Gravity's Rainbow.

About the Gravity's Rainbow Sector:

Gravity's Rainbow takes place hundreds of Thousands of light-years away from earth. Gravity's Rainbow is a Series of Solar systems that has magnetic cloud storms. That prevents FTL (Faster than Light) at times due to the 'Jump rails' run on Gauss Technology.The Gravity's Rainbow Sector is a Industrial and Food Production Center for Humanity. There are 2 Major population centers in Gravity's Rainbow. One Being the Planet Feros (Named after it's Discoverer) the other being Lock down Station
A military Grade space station that is heavily fortified and protects the Gravity's Rainbow Sector. Most of the Inhabitants of "Lock down" are military personnel the rest are R&D Personnel but have limited access.

What makes this mod different from others?

1. Space Combat: To keep things realistic we will be doing a directional Damage system as well as a Weak point system.

Example 1 - You shoot an rail warhead into a enemies reactor that fails to detonate. Not only will this Cripple the ship but it will slowly kill the crew.

Example 2 - You Kill the enemy's Helms man while the ship is moving. The ship will go out of control based on that speed the ship is flying at.

2. The Van'nar: The Van'nar are a humanoid insect race that has been around for thousands of Centuries longer than humans. As a result they have a 'independent' hive mind (They can communicate via their minds; They cannot sense death) and they have out grown their prime worlds their only solution Expand and Exterminate everything that gets in their path.

3. Land Combat - Land Combat will take place over a series of worlds. From the City World of Feros (Beautiful urban landscape) to Lock down Station (Fortified Military Space Station) to the various Industrial Wasteland worlds and Jungle Planets in Gravity's Rainbow.

4. New Game Modes -

Bug Hunt - Marines vs Van'nar in various environments.

The Mission Kill or Defend a Brood Queen.
Tight Squad based Game mode.

5. Realism: We want a realism first sort of mod. No Lasers or Light Sabers. Only Bullets, High velocity shells, and Biological Weapons are the weapons are the weapons of Choice in this mod.

------

About me: I am a self taught Unreal Development kit Mapper with experience in Kismet, Matinee, Adobe Photoshop, and the Core mapping tools. I am currently Expanding my Knowledge with the Unreal Development Kit to include Scaleform GFX and Adobe Flash as well as Autodesk Maya 2011 for 3d modeling.

I will post a separate thread that has the recruitment information in it.

Last edited:
Ok, just realized that there is no recruitment forum like on the UDK forums.

The "First Contact Team" is currently looking for:

Open Positions -

Following positions are available:

Concept Artists | Positions available: 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requirements:

* Familiar with Photoshop and/or GIMP
* The Ability Create high quality Concept Art that can be used as reference
* Teamwork skills
* Ability of self-motivation

Texture Artist | Positions available: 2

Requirements:

* Familiar with Photoshop and/or GIMP
* Familiar at making Tile-able textures and Non Tile-able Textures
* Teamwork skills

Coder | Positions available: 1

Requirements:

* Familiar with SVN Repositories
* Familiar with Unreal Script
* Teamwork skills

Animator | Positions available: 2

Requirements:

* Familiar with creating lifelike and high-quality animation loops
* Familiar with UDK's AnimSet Editor
* Teamwork skills

Environment Modeler | Positions available: 2

Requirements:

* Familiar with content creation tools like Blender3D, Maya, 3ds Max, or similar
* Ability to work in teams of two or more
* Ability to gather reference images/Concepts and create lifelike models from said images

Weapon 3D Artist | Positions available: 1

Requirements:

* Familiar with content creation tools like Blender3D, Maya, 3ds Max, or similar
* Familiar with a Highpoly Modeling/Normal Maps workflow
* Familiar with rigging models
* Teamwork skills

Vehicle 3D Artist | Positions available: 2

Requirements:

* Familiar with a Highpoly Modeling/Normal Maps workflow
* Familiar with rigging models
* Teamwork skills

To Apply for the Mod please Feel Free to PM me or Contact me via Skype

My Skype Contact is: Benjamin3859

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Love the name and the concept sounds interesting (hopefully not too ambitious).

However most of the modding talent pool here has been consumed by the 3 large MODs already in production so would recommend casting your net further afield in order to fill those job slots.

Anyhoo good luck and hope to see something in the near future :)

Upvote 0
Rofl... Thats Jetfire alright :p

Can't wait though!!! Sounds cool. I hope the battles aren't to fast paced...

It wont be too face paced if your in a frigate as frigates have heavy armor and slow engines but if you are in a fighter/Bomber expect to be blasting (or getting blasted) lots of bombers and fighters. It is kind of a mix match kind of gameplay.

How will these space ship battles work though? I'm just wondering.

I'm just wondering how you are going to keep the realism in space battles.

As for keeping the realism.

Look at old Ships of the Line from the 17th and 18th century and the tactics that they used.
I am applying some of those mechanics to Gravity's Rainbow. In particularly Directional Damage. Getting in front of a Ship and Firing a Rail gun down the Bow of a ship will cause signifigant damage if not destroy most or all of the major systems and sub systems causing the ship to explode. All ships have weak points.

The Original RO allowed the Engine to be damaged, Tracks to be knocked off, Individual Crew members to be killed.

But think about it like this.

If the engine is damaged you will need to repair it or your crew will die from Radiation posioning.

If your engines are damaged you are pretty much a sitting duck to enemy ships.

On the topic of Realism each ship has a different load out. Besides fighters and bombers.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0