• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gewehrgranatgerat (rifle grenade device) for K98!

But the PTRS has higher rate of fire and its traget ( Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf. F2) has a thinner non sloped armour than its counterpart (T34 mod. 42)

Well, the PTRS could not defeat a Ausf. F2 frontally.

Still not a fan of it replacing the PTRD, it'll be very gamey and if it is incorrectly given over the top penetration the only thing you'll ever hear as a tanker is "Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam *Black screen*".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anti tank rifles are only really any good for damaging tracks/wheels and damaging optics. A PTRS would be no good against a mid war medium tank on the Eastern front, at least not from a defensive point of view. The PIVF2 only had 10mm rear armor though of course, and PTRS could penetrate up to 40mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was under the impression the PTRD would be the usual AT rifle, with the PTRS for elite AT.

I'd just like to repoint out, the PTRD would be quite useful against PzII and PzIII chasis. We know we'll get a second tank after the T-34 and PzIV. If it's an earlier tank, the AT rifles will be more use against them for direct kills.

Still, these AT rifles can be useful for disabling mid-war tanks. TWI has alluded to much more detail on the damage model, including hydrolics, optics, etc. They may have even mentioned the turret ring as vulnerable. And in an urban environment, (Pavlov's house?), you might be able to penetrate top armor on these tanks with one (tough to get 90 degrees though).

Upvote 0
Good point to repoint Mormegil.

The PzKpfw. IV F2 (and G) were available in very limited numbers in the summer of '42 on the Eastern Front. I have a chart with the tank-type returns listed by month for the 24th Panzer Division, which fought heavily in Stalingrad (probably the most engaged German tank division there). The PzKpfw. IV lg (lang, for the long-barreled 7.5cm cannon variants) were vastly outnumbered by Pz IIs & IIIs throughout the battle. Giving players the opportunity to crew the long-barreled Pz. IV is very generous, but expected as being a balancing factor against the T-34s. Btw, the Soviet 62nd Army also had KV tanks on their strength roster according to Glanz.

Upvote 0
On the idea about having munitions like rifle grenades, why not let the German's have this one.

German_Propaganda-Rifle-Grenade.jpg

The leaflets could say something like:

Red Army Soldaten, your AT rifles are uzless against our Panzers! Oh yez, almost forgot, SURRENDER!

Upvote 0
Implementation of rifle grenades to AT purposes was discussed about a month ago. Didn't get much discussion out of it however. I wouldn't worry about the noobtube syndrome if only AT grenades are given.

If I were to chose from Pb 39 and AT-riflegrenade I'd take grenades against T34.
Agreed. There was nothing to kill the T34 at the time except anti-tank mines/devices and the 88, so the AT-riflegrenade should go in (as balance perhaps?).

Upvote 0
Red Army Soldaten, your AT rifles are uzless against our Panzers! Oh yez, almost forgot, SURRENDER!

Oh yes. I just adore being mocked.

I have no issue with Soviet Anti Tank rifles, as I know as well as anyone here that they were extremely effective up to mid war. But what I'm trying to say is a 14.5 mm bullet will not make a 30 ton vehicle explode into a ball of flame as we have in RO. I guess I'm hoping HoS AT rifles will be more than capable of accomplishing what they did in real life. They wreaked havoc on tracks and road wheels, knocked out optics and could hurt or even kill crewmembers with penetrating hits.

That always got to me in Ostfront. Everyone's seen the PTRD video where the author shows you how to 2 shot Tigers and Panthers. Please.

And I'm not saying add German AT Gewehrgranaten for the sake of balance, I'm just trying to support variety. Personally, as a full time tank buster in RO and DH, I relish the thought of having nothing but concentrated charges and geballte ladungen to disable the Soviet motor pool with. Challenges are good, challenges are fun.

Upvote 0
My guess is we won't see tanks destroyed by AT rifles, but crewmen. And even then only in certain cases where the round doesn't deflect.

Unless the shot is lucky and hits something explosive anyway.

Better tank damage models I think would mean less nuclear tanks, so I wouldn't worry too much about the PTRS being ridiculous in a gameplay sense.

Upvote 0
maybe, let the tanks kill the tanks

tanks are the best AT
in RO tanks are really weak against infantry, you drive in lenigrad around the corner and some kamikaze player throws a satchel 5meters infront of your tank and your exploding, or a prtd shoots from 500meters somewhere behind a window...

1: Proper teamwork with infantry can keep the tanks safe, same in real life or in the game.

2: Handheld AT is only effective against tanks when the AT guy understands the technical aspects of it, so its not cheap, and it can also be used against lighter vehicles, infantry and in RO2 cover.

Upvote 0
One thing that always interested me: why do some rifle grenades/grenade launcher attachment rounds explode on impact(like M203 or rifle nades in WaW), whereas others don't(like in DoD:S)? What would be realistic in HoS? Does it depend on the ammo type used?

Some rifle grenades like the US WW2 one used standard infantry grenades as fragmentation grenades. Those had both timed fuses and impact fuses afaik.

German ones afaik were specialized rifle grenades which had impact fuses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0