• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting an M44, need help...

Russkie11

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
Im getting a Russian M44 Carbine that is stamped 1944. It has the Hammer and Sickle intact on it and has the pigsticker also. I know several of you on the boards have an m44 and i was just curious of any tips for a newbie to russkie rifles...

P.s, i live in northern MN and was curious if hunting with one of these would work out ok?

I love my M44.

Posting some videos of the awesome muzzle flash in a few minutes.

Surplus ammo is cheap... under $100 for a crate of 800-some rounds. It will likely be my next purchase.

There are also a number of new-production ammo for about $10 for a box of 20. If your local dealers don't carry it, suggest that they do. Some names of new manufacturers are Bear, Wolf, and Olympic.

Upvote 0
Polisheagle1939 said:
A catalog called Sportsman Guide (also online) has cheap ammo for your M44. It is corrosive but with the chrome lined barrel it's no problem.

mosins do not have chrome lined barrels corrosive just means you HAVE TO CLEAN IT ASAP after firing

91/30s are generally not cheaper than M44s

the best thing to do with ammo is buy a 20 round bundle or two of ammo from various countries and years, find out which shoots best with your rifle, then buy a crate of it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It used to be the other way around. About four years ago, when I got into collecting. M44s were common as dirt and 91/30s were the ones that were harder to find. Then this recent import from the Ukraine showed up and 91/30s are still all over the place, but M44s are harder to get. Of course, with 17 million 91/30s made vs around 8 million M44s I guess they would dry up sooner. M38s are a little harder to find since only around two million of those were made.

That's one reason I got into Finn Mosins. Even the highest production rifle they had, the M39, had only a little over 100,000 made.

Upvote 0
Russkie11 said:
P.s, i live in northern MN and was curious if hunting with one of these would work out ok?

If you plan on hunting, I recommend purchasing one of the new-market scopes that replaces your rear leaf-spring instead of drilling and marring your gun.

Another note, you will need an extended eye-relief scope. I thought I could get away with a regular one and quickly found out I couldn't.

Upvote 0
I own about four flavors of Mosins now M44, 91/30, M91 and M38. And I would offer this wisdom.

1)If you get a carbine (M38, M44 etc) then recoil is cut in half when your standing up -vs- sitting at the bench. I can shoot standing up all day but 50 rounds at bench with a carbine is enough for me. Sitting bruises my shoulder black and blue but standing does not. Why? Because standing up your entire body soaks up recoil -vs- sitting your shoulder alone gets the brunt of it.

2)Sometimes mosins have a buildup of laquer inside the chamber fromt he cheap steel laquer coated cases. you can clean this out with a wire brush and cleaning rod attached to an electric drill. Use some kind of solvent when you do this. Some say to wrap some fine steel wool around brush before you do this but I would not recommend that as this will actually start taking away metal IMHO.

3)Many of these rifles were sighted with bayonet fixed (or extended). What this means is that since most ranges will not let you affix bayo, you will need to re-sight your iron sights windage setting. A small hammer and flat pin punch come in handy here and remember that only small amount of taps will move it usually. You will also need lots of ammo to test this out and start this on a short range 25-50 yards first then move on to 100yards or longer.

Most of all, be safe and always check to make shure gun is empty when working on sights. Take bolt out every time to be sure. You can also buy a laser sight at wallyword for $30 that will help you check alignment out to 50 yards before you even go to range.

These rifles are an absolute bargain in this day and age although there are millions of them, they won't always be this cheap so I encourgage everyone to get one, even if you don't shoot it. It makes a nice wall piece. Keep it for prosperity etc.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
2)Sometimes mosins have a buildup of laquer inside the chamber fromt he cheap steel laquer coated cases. you can clean this out with a wire brush and cleaning rod attached to an electric drill. Use some kind of solvent when you do this. Some say to wrap some fine steel wool around brush before you do this but I would not recommend that as this will actually start taking away metal IMHO.

I've heard from another Mosin collector/shooter that a brush for a 20 gauge shotgun works perfectly.

That same friend reccomended this site for help choosing ammo: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

Upvote 0