• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German version gore

As far as I know they'd termine that by key nowadays because

1.when I installed my orange box copy I entered the key and it said orange box (ger).
2.Valve said that if people don't want to have a cut version of L4D they should import it.
(if steam somehow changes your import version to the cut one you can always ask the steam support)

so do some research before accusing me of not being able to read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed. If you download the game content in Germany, even if you had purchased it elsewhere, you'll have the German version. Happened to me with RO and CoD4. I could bypass it with my steambackups though(then you have to pray the game doesn't get updated).

Not always. I have the boxed versions of Left 4 Dead, SiN: Episodes and the Orange Box all of them are uncut. I got Half-Life in a store too and it is cut, changing the language doesn't help but everything is in the same account.

So gifting works most likey.

But I doubt the cut version will be ready in two weeks because TWI said earlier they don't know what they have to cut for what rating etc.

EDIT: But also TWI also said if they reduce the gore they will do it as minimal as possible, a bit like in RO. The RO gore is fine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My L4D is definatly uncut...:rolleyes: And that was gifted too...

Anyways..it seeems we have to clarify the process of "cutting" a game here in germany. First off the game reaches a certain status. IF there even is a boxed version planned it needs to get shiped to the controling instances that give the ratings. If the publisher wants lets say a 16+ rating for a otherwise 18+ rated game they have to take out the "gore/splatter/limps-removal" whatever to get the desired rating. BUT as for a zombie game where basicly gore is essential i dont see why there should be a 16+ version anyways.

IF the game is too "gorey/brutal/manhunt-ish" there will be no rateing. Meaning that there cant be any comercials or big advertising for it ( or it gets done like L4D with the hillarious box art change ). It can still be sold.

it wasn't the Bundestag or the USk who cut the game, it was tripwire or any 3rd party charged by tripwire.
Yes the technical change has to be done by the developer or sometimes in-house at publishers ( who also do translations ect ) . However, its the german law/controlling instances that cause it. I dont think any games developer wants to censor their original product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi!
I would ONLY buy this game via the pre-order on steam. So if the dev team gets the message across that this game won't be censored AND if they tell us this before the game is released (so we can take advantage of the pre-sale-deal) I'd buy it. But if it is censored or they tell us when we have to pay the full price... I won't buy it.
I am sure a lot of other players feel the same way, not being sure what cuts - if any must be expected. The earlier we know what we can expect, the better.
-pacman

Upvote 0
Hi!
I would ONLY buy this game via the pre-order on steam. So if the dev team gets the message across that this game won't be censored AND if they tell us this before the game is released (so we can take advantage of the pre-sale-deal) I'd buy it. But if it is censored or they tell us when we have to pay the full price... I won't buy it.
I am sure a lot of other players feel the same way, not being sure what cuts - if any must be expected. The earlier we know what we can expect, the better.
-pacman

The thing is that not even TWI knows what has or will be cut. And I doubt that the USK is having their eyes on steam and wait until a "jugend gef

Upvote 0
On the store page is no warning "Gewaltgeminderte Version", so I just pre-orded it, and if it's cut after all. I still have the possibility to complain: "I didn't get the version I've paid for, I want my money back".
No idea if this actually works, but personally I think there's a pretty good chance.

Upvote 0
hi roman o/
Same for me, if i get a cut version i will ask valve to change it to uncut or send me my money back. One of the two reactions should happen for sure, since i didnt get what was advertised. Anyway, theres still over a week left for TWI to sleep about it and please their german customers. Like Lt_Kettch said and as its beeing discussed on the steamboard, there is one easy solution: Just dont release a retail in Germany and you are fine. No need to get a german rating for a game u only sell over Steam. Theres tons of games Steam isnt allowed to sell to us postal-after-fps germans, but does anyway.

Upvote 0
On the store page is no warning "Gewaltgeminderte Version", so I just pre-orded it, and if it's cut after all. I still have the possibility to complain: "I didn't get the version I've paid for, I want my money back".
No idea if this actually works, but personally I think there's a pretty good chance.
I wouldn't bet on it. Valve has a very strong "no money back" policy. Sure we could just pre-order and then insist that we did not get what we paid for, especially since there is no warning anywhere that germans will get a "special" version. But I doubt that it will work since they pretty much NEVER refund any paid money.
I think that Tripwire will release a special version for germany for they have posted in other threads over at the steam forums that their talked to their lawyers about cutting the game and they said in order to release it in Germany (which I guess their plan is) Tripwire needs to cut it.
Anyway, everything is fine as long as they let us know for sure any time soon. I won't buy "die Katze im Sack" (for the English speaking majority here: I won't buy anything as long as I don't know for sure just exactly what it is).
-Alex

Upvote 0
It's not that the USK can demand any cuts for KF. They can only give advises what will have to be cut for a retail release. It's up to the publisher and their marketing plans. But once the word has been spread that the german version is cut, 90% of all willing custumers will buy it anywhere, but in Germany. It may be better to just let it be as it is, just sell it over Steam, problem solved.^^

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

so i bought the low violence Version on steam yesterday.. big mistake :( I just play it a few minutes, the game is great. But .. low violence :rolleyes:

The Thread is a bit old, but is there maybe an uncut patch for the german Version, or anything else that makes the game more gameable? :confused:

thx in advanced

greetz

Upvote 0