• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German version gore

I thought the German sensors only applied to human gore? Meaning acts of violence on human characters is not allowed.

Seeing as this is a Zombie (specimen) game the rules might not apply.

Not quite ... at least iirc one version of UT 2k3? 2k4? had green blood and stuuf. Was pretty wired.

BTW how is looking the german version of L4D?

Upvote 0
In the German version of Left 4 Dead (it is 18+ too!) there is no dismemberment and Zombies aren't burning which is quite confusing because the animations for the burning Zombies are still there (looks like a crowd of 20 Zombies has bees in their hairs if you throw a molotov at them).
And the bodies of the dead vanish instantly which is a huge immersion breaker!

So I doubt KF would pass without getting indexed if things like that are still in.

The violence against human characters was a criteria once but now the whole approval thing got a bit random. Gears of War was indexed but was it so brutal? I don't know I didn't play it.

I hope the German version of KF will be cut or I will directly make TWI resposible for the next school shooting :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I had a clanmate from england gifting me l4d over steam. Its not cut whatsoever. But never got my ro to be uncut...on the other hand..i dont get distracted by flying limbs than.

I think the german law text speaks of "human or human like"...

so get it as importet version ( the better game stores do that ) or get it gifted from someone outside of churmany.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all: I will so buy this when it comes out!

Regarding censorship in Germany and L4D. The German version is heavily censored. Dead zombies disappear instantly upon death, no flying limbs, reduced blood, no burning zombies. Hell they even censored the box art!

Since I played the demo before hand I knew I could not buy it through steam or the boxed regular version from an ordinary local retailer. Luckily there's a small shop in my town that always imports me uncut UK/US versions and viola no censorship. I did the same with RO, GTA4 etc. A good alternative would be importing from Austria or the UK, especially since the exchange rate pound to € makes UK games pretty cheap for the €urozone.

As an added Bonus I avoided buying through Steam again because their ridiculous pricing policy of 1$=1€ is/was a smack in the face of every European customer and a huge rip-off!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No burning zombies?.. Has does that work? They take damage while burning and freak out.

As an added Bonus I avoided buying through Steam again because their ridiculous pricing policy of 1$=1€ is/was a smack in the face of every European customer and a huge rip-off!
I can almost assure you that this is from european retailers threatening to sue, not Steam's own decision..

This is why most things are region locked. European corporations are as whiney and sue happy as American citizens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding censorship in Germany and L4D. The German version is heavily censored. Dead zombies disappear instantly upon death, no flying limbs, reduced blood, no burning zombies. Hell they even censored the box art!
My guess is that they tried to self-censor it down to 16+, applied for 16+ and where still rated 18+ because it was considered too brutal for 16+. Had they applied for 18+ they probably would have an uncut German version now.
As for the box-art: I think the box-art of every game that is meant to be sold from a shelve among all the other games shouldn't look too brutal. Maybe only persons of 18 years or older can buy it and take it home with them, but everyone can look at it in the store.
Besides, isn't the uncut box-art inside so you can pull out the paper from the dvd-box, turn it around and stick it back in when you are home? Can't see how anybody would have any reason to complain about that solution, tbh.

Upvote 0