• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Protection Fault

Shouldn't this thread be sticky? This problem seems to be quite common, and it has not been solved for many/most people who have written about it.

Butch, the log file is called "Redorchestra.log" and (by default) you can find it in:

Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\[MyName]\Red Orchestra\System

It's the second file below "Redorchestra.exe". You may have to rename a copy of it to .txt so you can attach it here, because there are only certain kinds of attachments that are accepted by the forum.

Edit: It will create a log even if you didn't get in the game. I have never made it as far as the Main Menu, but I still have a log file.

Upvote 0
Tried yet another firewall (originally from ZoneAlarm to Tiny Personal Firewall and now from Tiny to Kerio Firewall). I don't think this General Protection Fault is in any way related to firewalls.

Ah well, here's the latest log and error message:

By the way, is the "Submit Bug Report" button supposed to do something? The only visible thing is that it makes the error blurb go away.

Attachments

• RedOrchestralog.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
well md5 is a hashing algoritm, it hashes files so you can then compair the "fingerprint" its giving you with another stored fingerprint so you can be sure the files are EXECTLY the same down to the last bit.

i dunu, try deleting that file (or moving it) and using mine (attached).

its located in
Steam\SteamApps\your username\red orchestra\System

edit : i do have the beta patch installed so it might be a good idea to back up you old file, dunu if it make any difference.

Attachments

• Packages.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do you know! I got inside the game thanks to your packages.md5 file!

However, I didn't have any maps at all, and the server window didn't show any servers. How many files do I have to fix, I wonder.

What on earth is wrong with my game? I've installed and reinstalled it from CD every time and verified their integrity through Steam. Could there be something wrong with my CDs?

Well, this is what it looks like. A great improvement from the previous state! Now I can't keep whining that I haven't seen the Main Menu!

Upvote 0
Vonreuter said:
What do you know! I got inside the game thanks to your packages.md5 file!

However, I didn't have any maps at all, and the server window didn't show any servers. How many files do I have to fix, I wonder.

What on earth is wrong with my game? I've installed and reinstalled it from CD every time and verified their integrity through Steam. Could there be something wrong with my CDs?

Well, this is what it looks like. A great improvement from the previous state! Now I can't keep whining that I haven't seen the Main Menu!

Delete the .ucl files in your ro folder :).

Upvote 0
And now... *drum roll*

It works!

I just came back to let you know that I just finished my first practice game, and I'm looking forward to trying this online (let's hope I won't bump into any more problems there).

Wow. What a battle against buggy firewalls and corrupted files. It feels like I've been in the Kessel.

OK. It looks like I can't trust anything on my CDs. Despite several uninstalls and reinstalls, I never could get it working from the CDs. So if you're having problems with a boxed version, just msg me and I can try and help you figure it out.

Thanks for all those who bothered, Countess and Zetsumei with an honourable mention. My trolling days are over.

See you at the end of my sights! ;)

(Assuming I won't run into problems connecting to online games.)

Upvote 0
So what's the actual solution to this?

My latest error logs:
Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2308 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: RADEON X800 PRO (6606)

General protection fault!

History: RenderLevel <- RO-Arad.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Arad: Romanian-Hungarian border, 19th September 1944 <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2308 MHz with 1023MB RAM

History: RenderLevel <- RO-Arad.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Arad: Romanian-Hungarian border, 19th September 1944 <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2312 MHz with 1023MB RAM

Upvote 0
God damn, I just reinstalled and it STILL CRASHES

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2306 MHz with 1023MB RAM

History: RenderLevel <- RO-Basovka.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Basovka: L'vov, 2nd July 1941 <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

It's crashed like this three times in the last hour. This is totally intolerable! If there's a dev or anyone on the team that can help me with this I'd be really appreciative - I just want to know someone knows my pain!

Upvote 0