• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Firearm Discussion

I've seen and shot a couple of Persian Mausers, they're pretty nice. :)

Lucky. I've never actually seen them outside of pictures.

The Syrians, though, I handled one of those in a gun shop a few months back. It seemed almost identical to a Yugo M48. IIRC, the Syrians bought some of the machinery from the Yugos, but I'm not positive on that.

M48 is still really my favorite of the Mauser lineage, though. It's just really the final development stage. It's got all the good bits.

Upvote 0
Lucky. I've never actually seen them outside of pictures.

The Syrians, though, I handled one of those in a gun shop a few months back. It seemed almost identical to a Yugo M48. IIRC, the Syrians bought some of the machinery from the Yugos, but I'm not positive on that.

M48 is still really my favorite of the Mauser lineage, though. It's just really the final development stage. It's got all the good bits.
I really dislike the wooden covers of the M48.

Upvote 0
Been a while since I've taken my M48A apart, but I'm pretty sure the handguard is only one piece? I know my Kar is - that's still apart, with pieces in my garage and in the bathroom closet.
Sometimes it really shows that English isn't my native language. :eek:

What I meant was the rear part of the upper handguard. I know that they're one piece on the M48's but I've seen (and owned one) Turkish G98's produced in Germany to Imperial standards shipped to the Osmans who later on retrofitted them with a "clip-on" rear handguard to bring them up to Osman/Turkish standards. Anyway, I really really dislike those and I've always got the feeling that they're obscuring my view, even if they don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes it really shows that English isn't my native language. :eek:

Your English is still better than my German, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, bud.

What I meant was the rear part of the upper handguard. I know that they're one piece on the M48's but I've seen (and owned one) Turkish G98's produced in Germany to Imperial standards shipped to the Osmans who later on retrofitted them with a "clip-on" rear handguard to bring them up to Osman/Turkish standards. Anyway, I really really dislike those and I've always got the feeling that they're obscuring my view, even if they don't.

Ah, I see what you mean. Whenever I shoot one of my Mausers after not having used one for a while, it does feel like maybe the rear sight is too low, and you can barely see it around the handguard.

Upvote 0