• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GC and teleproting zeds combo is a nightmare

It may be that people are noticing it more because you're killing more as you're running away.

As cat stated, mechanics wise things tend to not teleport unless they are absolutely stuck. If something just happened to spawn from around a corner in front of you then it's because something was killed from behind where you guys were running from. (New spawns possible).

If the camp gets overrun then it's a better idea to push through and just run+reload while making a kite-path route back to the original campground. In this way, you might get greeted with a couple of zeds at the campsite since they decided to route backwards to your group all while you're still getting the zed group that was still chasing your group (basically a reload reset and potentially a raged FP incoming).

I made a video a while back on killing slowly while moving and I realized how terrible of a technique that actually was, it's way safer to just run a loop and reset your campground.

I will say that if zeds happened to spawn right out of thin air, then at the moment of "spawn" you didn't have line of sight of that spawn cylinder. It's kinda like if you bought a soda from a vending machine, once you hit the coke button it's in the middle of spawning but you don't actually see the can/bottle until it reaches the bottom. This is actually in combination with the walling issue where (if I had to put it in words) your character goes invisible or off the map thus killing AI or, in the topic of this thread, allows for things to just spawn in midair. The worst I've seen is in Catacombs watching the door area spawns by the stairs and jumping repeatedly to spawn a SC right there. I'm not exactly sure where the game considers your line of sight but I'm sure it's related to two of the biggest issues in the game (tp/spawn and walling).

As far killing goes, I don't think so. THINK is the key word there. There are times where I refrain from killing anything, just move and I will still see them appear out of no where.

Also I've killed 3-6 zeds that were right behind me as I'm running, turn back towards the direction I was running, start running and within a sec or 2 I'll hear something and turn around to look behind me and there will another set 1-4 zeds there. How did they get there so fast? It's simply overwhelming with what's happening ( teleporting/spawning/or whatever ). EVERYTIME I pause to take a shot at a HUSK/FP/SCRAKE with the bow, I'm getting hit by something, usually a stalker. And those few times where I can take a moment to take the shot, EVERYTHING comes out from behind the target and I have to start running again.

Upvote 0
One thing i have noticed is there's a lot more in-level spawning on KF2 than KF1. Especially on the newer maps (which people will be playing more). Zeds can spawn in, as far as i'm aware, almost any room, since the level designers have incorporated so many spawn volumes inside the map.

So the problem might only be so subtle, but exacerbated by the fact there is almost no travel time for zeds to reach players since they can consistently spawn in in adjacent rooms and come flooding through.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of the teleporting or in-level spawning Zeds thing. I understand why it's done, but I don't like the way it has been implemented.

Years ago me and my buddies endlessly extracted the urine from L4D for spawning zombies out of crisp packets. Okay, it wasn't /quite/ that bad but you certainly did see masses of zombies come charging out of tiny little rooms that had only 5 seconds previously been 'cleared'. Overall the L4D experience didn't suffer from this mechanic all that much because the game was more than sufficiently new and innovative to overcome such flaws.

The problem, for me, is that KF2 has started to feel more and more like the Zeds are spawning out of crisp packets, and KF2 doesn't enjoy the same concession of expectation that L4D did way back when. In short, in KF2, it feels cheap and outdated.

The way Zeds spawn just out of sight also ends up becoming counter-productive in terms of keeping the game mobile. (This presumes that TWI have a desire to force the players not to camp all of the time.) If you're in trouble there's almost no point in running because the game _will_ plonk a metric feck-ton of Zeds around every corner; you're far better off staying put and instead playing Ring a Ring o' Roses around a car or something. Only in open areas is legging it an option, i.e., by fleeing into said open areas. Even so, I've seen conga lines of a half dozen or more Zeds step out from behind a relatively nearby tree.

TWI want to keep the pressure on during a wave, I get that, and having Zeds spawn/teleport as near to the players does help accomplish that; however, the current implementation ends up ruining more than it fixes in terms of the game experience, IMO.

I don't know what the solution is. Perhaps increase the range where Zeds can spawn so that, typically, there's at least one buffer 'room'/'zone' between the players and the active volumes.

Upvote 0
I agree with defekt, L4D can pull this off because a horde of commons aren't the hurdle that any zeds are in KF2. Maybe Clots should be twinkified and multiplied.

Personally I can't reconcile TWI's two visions for a intense chaotic spammy experience we get with fast zeds, close quarters, teleports, et al. that also has methodical, surgical gameplay they want to encourage by limiting ammo so much and needing headshots for most trash.

Upvote 0
With GC, it seems sometimes like the zed are "one difficulty higher" (in term of speed at least).
I mean, I just play on "Hard" in order to test museum (the new map on the workshop), and trash zed were running towards me almost all the time...

For people who don't play in "Hard", trash zed are SUPPOSED to walk until you hit them once... and then they speed up. In this game, I almost feel like I was in suicidal where more than half of the trash zed will start running as soon as they spot me.

I was playing demo (wanting to level up) and the fist two waves were a nightmare with my slow reload one shot weapon. Thank god I had my grenade :)

Finally, towards the end of the wave, I noticed that trash zed stopped running (?) like they were telling me : hey, great job, we could not kill you with 26 zeds, just kill us already :) And then, when I hit the 5 zed counter, they started running again.

So, basically, GC is not working correctly and making solo play almost impossible. I don't even want to try to play back in suicidal at this point...

Upvote 0