• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Games getting boring

oldsoldier173

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Ceresco, NE
They came at us in the usual way, and we defeated them in the usual way.
I remember hearing that about a battle here and there. The game has turned into WW1 styled combat with WW2 weapons. Charge up the middle en masse, use up your reinforcements, hope you lost less than they did, and maybe you win a few here and there.

If you play on a server where the defender actually defends instead of attack the attacker, the defender by nature of in cover, low profile, small target, not moving, will win. So as we move from server to server to find a 'fun' game it is getting harder because the same maps are played the same way by the same people with the same results.

You do anything out of the box and the chats go nuts because you are now mysteriously on an unbalanced map, only because the opponent is now losing.

There is so little room for maneuver, players just do as I call it "hey diddle, diddle, charge down the middle, die and repeat", and then they are amazed when in certain areas you get behind them and all of a sudden you 'cheated' or used an exploit. When all you did was move to a flank and casually walked to a position behind them, and start shooting. And players don't get it. Usually the flanks are unguarded, as everyone is in the middle chasing that 'kill count' and weapons upgrade, the mission is forgotten. Suppression from the flanks is almost to easy anymore.

It is a game, and so is checkers, and more and more RO2 reminds me of checkers because there are only so many moves, and so many pieces, it is not even a chess game anymore. You look at the map, you look at the players, you almost know who is going to be where, and doing what, over and over and over.

We need to open up larger maps, or fewer troops per side so conservation of force may enter as part of the game. When you have 600 'tickets' and 45 min it is WW1 plain and simple, charge forward into the guns and repeat, repeat, repeat till you get lucky and cap the point losing how many?

Losing interest in pub play, our little group has fun trying to 'do it right' rather than doing the same thing over, and over, and over. And the anger now present on pub servers as players can run into folks who don't play the game 'their way' and do things not expected are all of a sudden 'cheaters' or 'hackers' or whatever, because I did not charge at you dumb running into your guns...really.

went away for more than 8 weeks from ro2...came back..still the same bigmouth pubby armchair Generals with Little to no knowlege for tactics in this game..its amazing...if you try communications all you get is "stfu" and **** like that...god how much i despise the onlinecommunity of ro2....its a farcry from ro1...really...dumb, silent or too stupid to listen..gah..guess they only Play for the unlocks or stupid archievments...

And they wherent even good...after 8 weeks no Play i was top of the board in 1 round..oh my...peasents

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The don't tell me how to play in a TEAM game from the STFU and other idiocy crowd is a fascinating study. Your job whether you know it or not is to just support the 'Hero' in his task and goals, the TEAM goals are secondary. One of the reasons I 'vanished' from the Pub realm and occasionally just go on as a ghost just to have fun.

It is no longer hard to get to the top of the boards, because of the way players just repeat, and repeat failed concepts. Go ahead charge up the middle at Kurgen, fail to defend bravo in Grain tower. Simple tactical and game mechanic issues that few understand how and why they work, and those that do are seldom listened to in just another 'herding cats' exercise.

Communication in the cubical world of gamers is in itself just fun to watch, as all the 'experts' continue to play the same way, die and repeat, die and repeat, go outside the box and you are the cheater, hackers or exploiter.

Upvote 0
went away for more than 8 weeks from ro2...came back..still the same bigmouth pubby armchair Generals with Little to no knowlege for tactics in this game..its amazing...if you try communications all you get is "stfu" and **** like that...god how much i despise the onlinecommunity of ro2....its a farcry from ro1...really...dumb, silent or too stupid to listen..gah..guess they only Play for the unlocks or stupid archievments...

And they wherent even good...after 8 weeks no Play i was top of the board in 1 round..oh my...peasents
Stay tuned to the linked thread for more insight into that arena. ;)
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=98811

The demographics are changing again. We've come full circle. In the early CoD/MOH:AA days we had Free For All, Team Deathmatch and Search & Destroy. Then came the breath of fresh air that was the objective based, class and teamwork oriented, reinforcement restricted Territory style of RO:OST. Now we're back to Action, TDM (the current territory with massive reinforcments) and S&D. Gone are the days when K/D ratios didn't mean anything (or wasn't even computed). I look for things to cycle back in about four years. Gameplay always trumps achievements when it comes to player longevity.

Upvote 0
Was gone for over 6mo before returning, and yes finding the same thing that bored me the first time. That's why my primary play is on our private server, a well structured and friendly group of ex servicemen(and a woman) and a few invited guests. Strict rules of behavior and language, good quality think out of the box play, and custom scenarios. And when someone finds a way to make play 'interesting', we look at it as a Mr. Murphy moment and adapt and plan accordingly instead of throwing temper tantrums.

It is still fun to play the game with adults.

Upvote 0
Why dont you guys join a unit, like me in the 29th Infantry Division? I also got a bit sick of the standard attack and defend over and over again, but using realism in our drills it can be allot of fun, you really can get awesome moments, like at a drill i was the only one left in the German side and completely surrounded, managed to take out allot of guys with my trusty mp40 before i got shot by one of the last two Russians. ill take one of those awesome rounds over 100 public play sessions any day!

I recorded that round btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13XCG0HVhP0

Upvote 0
Many of us were 29th back in the DH days. Too much 'drama' in the headshed and restrictions on troops to protect the 'few' for many of us. Same names 'in charge' so don't envision much of a change to lure us back.

Pretty much this.

But OT, games do get boring after a while, but it's really all about the communities and groups of people you play it with. The enjoyment of pubbing can scale far an wide, and that enjoyment doesn't last forever if there is any. I played UT2004 for probably 6 or so years, I don't even want to think about how many hours I sunk into that game honestly. But I stayed mainly cause there were so many people in our community, so many people to know, so many maps to play, so many weapon mods and things to F around with. I'd play everything from Invasion to BWC, and even do the occasional build map when I just wanted to chill after some intense battles.

I really miss those games, lately games haven't been keeping my attention for more than a year and a half. But it isn't as easy to create content nowadays unlike UT2004.

Upvote 0