• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game 2 is gonna have to be one hell of a game

The politics of previous conflicts are of no concern. Regardless of how absurd they were at the time, fact is they cannot be changed, the outcome of the conflict has been resolved...it's history.

I'm not saying that the politics of previous conflicts was any better than current affairs. Just that the politics of modern warfare have a direct effect on my life. The less I am reminded of them, the better.

Upvote 0
I think the thing that would appeal to me, most personally, would be the Vietnam war, done right. Of course, the Americans, the Russians, the Aussies, and the Chinese. You'd have the Americans with the M14s and M16s, with jamming simulated, the Aussies with their FALs, after 1000 shots or so they have to turn up the gas one more notch, the Russians and the Chinese with assortments of booby traps, guerilla warfare, SKSes, AK47s, StG44s, Mosins, K98s...

Basically this war is the one war with all the weapons of WW2 AND post-WW2. This would let TWI carry over their knowledge of WW2 weapons and also be able to fix them up so they're better then ever and they also get to play with getting some new toys and weapons in.

Upvote 0
SKSes, AK47s, StG44s, Mosins, K98s...

Eh? i've never heard the NVA/VC had any STG's or Kar's.

Here's the guns i know they had:

AK-47
AK-47s
AKM
AKMS
Type-56 (milled and stamped versions)
Type-56-1 (milled and stamped versions)
Type-56 (the SKS version)
SKS-45
Type-68
MAS-36
MAS-49/56
MAT-49
Mosin Nagant (all versions, but mostly the 91/30)
TT-33
PPSH-41
PPS-43
Type-50
K-50M
SVT-40
RPD
RPK
MAXIM M1910/30
PK/PKT
DP-28
Type-67 (possible, not confirmed)
Nagant M1895
PM Makarov (possible, not confirmed)
SVD (possible, not confirmed)

That was the list og guns i was working with when i was making a Vietnam mod (it never happened, coulden't find coders), i think thats all of them, but i might have missed one or two.

Still, that is an impressive list of cool guns i'd love to have in a game ;)

Upvote 0
I completely disagree with the idea that RO is "dated". Graphics wise, sure, but gameplay wise, (which is what matters), no way. And TBH the graphics are still decent good by today's standards. It's still "pretty".

When it comes to gameplay it's still WAY ahead of the pack IMO. Believe me I've looked for games to replace it but nothing comes close in terms of the map design, atmosphere, and just the awesome fluidity of combat and the great recreation of MGs, sniper rifles, etc... It just feels real. No other WW2 game comes close.

You look at other games, and sure, they're have all the same weapons, but people don't use them the same way. In RO a single MG or tank can hold up an entire 25 man team for several minutes if it's not dealt with correctly. This simply doesn't happen in other games.

I'm looking forward to OFP2 and Arma 2 as well, but I don't think they're in the same niche as RO at all.

And yeah I hope it's World War 2. Preferably Eastern Front again, though I've been so impressed with DH's Battle of the Bulge maps that that wouldn't be too bad either ;).

The market is already flooded with modern warfare games and besides, we have OFP2 and Arma2 to cover that. I know there's been plenty of World War 2 games out over the years, but none like RO.

Plus, infantry combat is just so much more exciting with World War 2 weaponry. Having everyone running around with deadly accurate 30 round mag assault rifles and grenade launchers is boring :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the Americans, the Russians, the Aussies, and the Chinese.

Er... The *Vietnamese*?? North and South?

Russians had a couple thousand advisors, and China had engineers and AA crew in the north, very few/none were fighting in the south.

And if you include the Aussies, what about the South Koreans, the second largest contigent after the US?

Or have you been told the Vietnam war was against the *russians*? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Early in the war the NVA attempted open warfare with the US which failed miserably and they soon learned and took up guerilla tactics instead.

They had tanks but found them to be utterly pointless. As far as any tank on tank engagements are concerned, I really doubt they happened!

Thats why I found BF:Vietnam so utterly absurd..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Making a Vietnam game is a small taboo in the US you have to remember this war was lost and the Veterans faced a lot of hate after their return. There is a reason why the best Vietnam game so far (Vietcong) was not made by a US company (they are Czechs). A Vietnam game wouldn't sell to well. Battlefield Vietnam didn't do so well afaik.

And I don't think there were any tank battles worth mentioning in the VW.

So please no Vietnam for me.

Upvote 0
Making a Vietnam game is a small taboo in the US you have to remember this war was lost and the Veterans faced a lot of hate after their return. There is a reason why the best Vietnam game so far (Vietcong) was not made by a US company (they are Czechs). A Vietnam game wouldn't sell to well. Battlefield Vietnam didn't do so well afaik.

Supply and demand run the markets.

Just to explain, a Vietnam game would not be taboo in the U.S.; frankly, there are a lot of people who disagree with the strategy that was used in the war (like not invading the North, because of concerns about Red China).

However, because of Afghanistan and Iraq, the Vietnam War is no longer really discussed in popular American culture.

It seems that about roughly 10-20 years after an event, that is when it receives the most historical scrutiny and nostalgia (the TV sit com Hogan's Heroes was made in the 1960s; Happy Days and M*A*S*H, situation comedies about the 1950s and Korean War, were made in the early 1970s; etc.).

So, in the 1980s, there were all these Rambo movies (there was even a Rambo cartoon) and Chuck Norris films about MIAs, and films and some U.S. TV series / shows that discussed Vietnam (most famously PBS's "Vietnam: A Television History" based on the book by journalist Stanley Karnow) or whose fictional characters portrayed Vietnam vets.

It is just that Afghanistan and Iraq are now the focus of military interest (although I would say, nationally speaking, WWII still is at the top of everything) and have overshadowed Vietnam.

Then, I would say from a national perspective, (not necessarily from a video game perspective), the historical conflicts most Americans are interested in, after WWII, would be the American Civil War, then Vietnam, then the Revolutionary War, Korean War, The Mexican War / War of 1812, and I would say WWI comes in last (the TV networks are showing documentaries and some movies about WWII this week for Veterans Day, but absolutely nothing about WWI [at least in my area]).

This past January was the 40th Anniversary of the TET offensive, but I didn't see any history programs about the Vietnam War.

There were some shows that dealt more broadly with the 1960s, but those seemed to be more geared to nostalgic Baby Boomers, and they didn't focus on Vietnam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vietnam was already dealt with in the Battlefield series, the probably most mainstream online first person shooter series, so it's not really a taboo. The problem with Vietnam games is that there are hardly any game engines out there that are able to portray the scenario realistically. Vietcong was a good game, but the levels were still somewhat too small and restriced. Battlefield Vietnam was worse as it didn't really try to portray the Vietnam war and just replaced Battlefield 1942 weapons and vehicles without changing the concept.

Same as with anti-terror scenarios, the Vietnam war is hard to transform into a game because of its asymmetrical warfare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Originally Posted by Gamburd
or whose fictional characters portrayed Vietnam vets.

Almost every TV drama show had a Vietnam vet as the main character: yes, the A-Team, Magnum P.I., the movie and then short-lived TV series "Blue Thunder"; I forget if the TV character "MacGyver" was a Vietnam vet or just a Cold War secret agent; on Simon & Simon, one of them was a Vietnam vet. I think William Shatner played a policeman who was also a Vietnam vet in the relatively short run police drama "T.J. Hooker" (I think it lasted one and a half TV seasons).

EDIT: Ok, I looked it up. The TV police character T.J. Hooker wasn't a Vietnam Vet, but the character who played his police car patrol partner was a Vietnam Vet.

In the action movie, Firefox, about the secret Soviet jet, the Firefox, Clint Eastwood portrayed a former Vietnam vet who was called from retirement to serve his country again and was smuggled into Moscow to steal the plane.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems that about roughly 10-20 years after an event, that is when it receives the most historical scrutiny and nostalgia (the TV sit com Hogan's Heroes was made in the 1960s; Happy Days and M*A*S*H, situation comedies about the 1950s and Korean War, were made in the early 1970s; etc.).

Well, it happens a lot faster these days than 20 years ago, thanks to globalization, internet and TV. There are already a lot of TV series, movies and of course games about the current Iraq war.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but Hogan's Heroes and M.A.S.H. weren't pseudo documentaries or dramas that aimed at showing the people at home what soldiers have to go through. Stuff like that didn't exist at all back then (during ww2 such shows wouldn't have been broadcast and in the Vietnam era the news were enough, I guess). I think it's going to be a while until we see harmless slapstick comedies set in the Iraq war. I probably wouldn't want to see one for a while, anyway.

Games don't really count because stupid macho stories can be set in any war at any time. If they portray peril it's just so the enemies seem more menacing and the achievement of the macho hero is even bigger at the end.

Upvote 0