• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

G43 Sniper?

The_Countess said:
ofcourse, but it means i have to be twice as good as the guy opperating that weapon in order to beat him/kill him with for example the rifle.
any half decent player wil be able to own the scoreboard with it and a really good player could be near too unstopable.

if worse comes to worse we'll have a constant run on the scoped semi's and the whole game long we'll have people going "give me the scoped semi" "give it to me"

i think what im trying to say is i hope it dusnt become the new whore weapon, if your all familiar with the term. i really hope it will have some clear disadvantages.
These are disadvantages that come to mind:
1. Recoil. Everytime you pull the trigger, the gun pops up. Yeah, you don't need to bolt, but the point stands
2. Close range it's going to be a pain. I have a heck of a time hipping with the sniper because the big sight that fills half my screen.
And it's supposed to be good.

Upvote 0
[CoR]MiccyNarc said:
These are disadvantages that come to mind:
1. Recoil. Everytime you pull the trigger, the gun pops up. Yeah, you don't need to bolt, but the point stands
2. Close range it's going to be a pain. I have a heck of a time hipping with the sniper because the big sight that fills half my screen.
And it's supposed to be good.
dispite recoil you can still fire WAY faster then the bolt action sniper.
and you'll be way more effective fireing from the hip then a riflemen would be at close range (whether he's aimed or not) and probably just as effective as a normal semi user fireing from the hip.

basicly it will have the range of the current rifles: but with magnification, making aiming eazyer, and not a total lack of close range abilaty unlike like rifles.
it will just own riflemen left and right.
a normal sniper i can often beat with my rifle, if he missed or if hes just fired at another target, then i can shot him.
often i can out shoot him by aquering him faster then he dus me. (we see eachother at the same time but i fire faster because im quicker on target and quicker in pulling the trigger while he's still trying to make sure he kills me with one shot.)
with the semi we'll have non of that, after he fires he can shot 9 times more, and since it wont be his only chance he'll be much more willing to risk a quick shot not allowing me the chance to shoot first.
the inaccuratie will hardly be a issue with the ranges you find on most maps.
(and if they make the range much longer rifle's will become a complete pixelshooting contest)

combined with the verry wide looking sights of the russian rifle on the screenshots it looks like its going to suck being a riflemen in RO:O.
i hope im wrong thou.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
dispite recoil you can still fire WAY faster then the bolt action sniper.
and you'll be way more effective fireing from the hip then a riflemen would be at close range (whether he's aimed or not) and probably just as effective as a normal semi user fireing from the hip.

basicly it will have the range of the current rifles: but with magnification, making aiming eazyer, and not a total lack of close range abilaty unlike like rifles.
it will just own riflemen left and right.
a normal sniper i can often beat with my rifle, if he missed or if hes just fired at another target, then i can shot him.
often i can out shoot him by aquering him faster then he dus me. (we see eachother at the same time but i fire faster because im quicker on target and quicker in pulling the trigger while he's still trying to make sure he kills me with one shot.)
with the semi we'll have non of that, after he fires he can shot 9 times more, and since it wont be his only chance he'll be much more willing to risk a quick shot not allowing me the chance to shoot first.
the inaccuratie will hardly be a issue with the ranges you find on most maps.
(and if they make the range much longer rifle's will become a complete pixelshooting contest)

combined with the verry wide looking sights of the russian rifle on the screenshots it looks like its going to suck being a riflemen in RO:O.
i hope im wrong thou.
You're making this sound like everyone is going to be toting an auto sniper rifle. There's only going to be one per side, with the exception of people useing captured ones. Semi-auto rifles are never going to be able to match an SMG in close combat. Over all it depends on the person useing the weapon. Veterans like us may be able to dominate with them, but your average steam user whos new to the realism experience surely will not.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Not sure what to make of this, but a recent test of real life SVT vs. G43 I've read in a german gun mag clearly states that the G43 is highly inprecise on the first "cold" shot. Something to do with the oil in bore after the last cleaning and other stuff inherent in the construction.

They basically argued that it would have been worthless as a sniper rifle because the first shot can be off by as much as 5 inches whereas other shots may be well within an inch.
I assume this was the article recently published in the"Visier"-magazine. It was quite interesting yes. But every rifle's accuracy suffers from oil in the bore, that's why you clean them with tampers or the likes.

The article was a direct comparison between the G43 and SVT40 and nice to read. Apparently the G43 had slightly better groupings although this was probably due to the poor quality of the Russian ammo they used with the SVT. But 5 out of 6 shooters that tested the rifles preferred the SVT: The G43's trigger apparently was very hard and the magazine changing must've been easier on the SVT.

And the scope used with the G43 was of pretty high magnification for that time: 4 times (ZF4) as opposed to the early K98k sniper rifles which only had 1.5 times magnification (ZF39). Need to add that the most succesful sniper of WW2 supposedly didn't use a scope at all...

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
...And the scope used with the G43 was of pretty high magnification for that time: 4 times (ZF4) as opposed to the early K98k sniper rifles which only had 1.5 times magnification (ZF39)...

Correct me if I'm wrong:

- 1.5x Zf41 were used on FG42's only
- 3.5x PU were used on SVT40 and Mosin-Nagant
- 4x Zf41/43 were used on Kar43 and Kar98k

:confused:

Upvote 0
I wish i could... the world of German WW2 rifle optics is a very confusing one, due to extreme numbers of different models and manufacturers and inconsistent use of abbreviations and names...

Here's what i think i know. The G43/K43 was supposed to be issued with the ZF4, which is just another name for the ZF43 (and later ZF43/1) changing the usual German terminology from 'date of introduction' to 'magnification'. Since the ZF4 production rates couldn't meet the requirements, a lot of G43s were equipped with older scopes of the types ZF40 and ZF41 which are both of 1.5x-magnification.

The FG42 was sometimes equipped with the ZF4, you can often see that on photos. If it ever was equipped with other scopes as for example the mentioned ZF41 i don't know, but it may very well be possible.

The number of scopes used on the Karabiner 98k is so enormous, i can't figure out which was standard or if there was any standard at all. The early Wehrmacht underestimated the role of the sniper, so when the need for scopes arose during Barbarossa, they had to rush many civilian hunter's optics and captured equipment into service resulting in number of different scopes and mounts.

Some of those dominating in the first months of the war were (i think) the short ZF40 and ZF41 (virtually the same) which only had 1.5x-magnification and a very small field of view, while still being quite costly to produce. Of course they were not satisfactory, that's why they pretty soon searched for a replacement. They already had a pretty good scope long before hte war started, the "Zielvier" by Zeiss which then became one of the favoured and might be the one we ahve in the game currently, but i don't know. Like i said there were many, many more used... Ajack 4x90, Hensoldt Dialytan, K

Upvote 0