• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Frozen Synapse

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Deserves its own thread.

synapsepreview3.jpg

Trailer: YouTube - ‪Frozen Synapse: Teaser Trailer #1‬‏
Pre-order intro: http://www.youtube.com/user/VisitingTheVillage#p/u/5/aXbsSLeINhg

RockPaperShotgun preview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/19/preview-frozen-synapse/

Preorder is possible (MP beta included). It costs €19, but you also get a free extra license for a buddy, so if you share the cost it's €9,50 per game. In addition to that, you'll also support indie game development, which is always a good thing. It's made by a small three-man team that is obviously passionate about gaming.

http://www.frozensynapse.com/synapsePreorder.html

About Frozen Synapse

The ultimate tactical game; currently a work-in-progress by three-man UK indie development team Mode 7 Games.

You've patched in to the enemy's security system: get ready to make your plan.

You have full control over your squad, directing their every movement. At the same time, your opponent is plotting to defeat you. Plan your moves, test them out, then hit the "PRIME" button: both you and your enemy's turns are executed simultaneously.

Want a strategy game that offers serious, deep gameplay but doesn't take months to play a match?

Aiming for Tactical Perfection...

Frozen Synapse is a multiplayer and single player game for PC (and eventually Mac). It is available to pre-order now; our current release target is late 2010.

It is both inspired by classic simultaneous-turn-based games and an attempt to bring a modern twist to the genre.

If you pre-order today: you'll get immediate access to an early beta version of the game and a COMPLETELY FREE FULL COPY for a friend. You can check out a good slice of gameplay with a friend and support indie game development at the same time!

No subscriptions, no punitive DRM, no nonsense: just an awesome tactical game that you can start playing right now.

Features

* Simultaneous-turn-based competitive match-oriented tactical joy!
* Multiplayer: four game modes, including Hostage Rescue and the fiendish bidding-based Secure mode...
* Single Player: Campaign Mode (coming soon), Skirmish mode and Puzzle mode
* Your units sport machine guns, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers and grenade launchers for the ultimate tactical assault
* Hand-crafted maps, random map generator AND a map editor!
* Community features: share, rate and comment on games; Daily and Global ranking system; simple, instant matchmaking
* Destructible terrain: blow a huge hole in a wall with a rocket, then send in your close-range units...
* Simple YouTube export: just enter your account details and the game will automatically encode and upload any match you choose...
* No limited installs or similar nonsense: just create an account once you've downloaded and you're good to go
It's a little rough around the edges, but it's a pretty cool game. It definitely requires tactics and good planning.

TWI community in-game names

BlackLabel: BlackLabel
Peter.Steele: Bishop
Amerikaner: Amerikaner
Rattus: ColeusRattus
Morello: Morello
Nimsky: nimster
I. Kant:
AThousandD
SiC: SiC

Last edited:
Whats your ingame anme Nimsky ? Feel free to send a challenge to me anytime. :D Username is: BlackLabel *suprise*

What you think about it so far ?

I had a blast recently when my opponent and i only had 1 grenade and 1 rocket dude left each, and started to level the whole map...good times. :D

Worth mentioning is also that everyone plays the same maps for 24h and then the score gets paired against each others run on the same map to define ladderspots. After 1 day new maps are generated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Read the official forums. They have alot of tactical info there.http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1706 You can stack commands on every point you give your man. Like "duck", "focus aim", "stand" ect. Usefull if you need to peak corners ect.
I dident really use the planning tools right at start. Never really tested the outcome much. Its just great if you test a plan over and over just to have the enemy doing exactly what you proposed. the "damm i knew he whould do that" or "**** i had that planned but though he wont" moments are plenty. :D Rocketlaunchers can destroi walls and you could snipe people from afar after the wall is gone or storm the room with shootys...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BlackLabel, you sneaky bastard, hiding along the length of a wall... :D

This one though, is my best round so far. :) Check out the triple machine gun kill on the right.

YouTube - Frozen Synapse: BlackLabel vs. Nimster

For some reason the speed is super fast and there's no sound. I think this is a bug. Also, it uploads the match to YouTube very quickly, it's done within a minute.

Upvote 0
This one though, is my best round so far. :) Check out the triple machine gun kill on the right.

For some reason the speed is super fast and there's no sound. I think this is a bug. Also, it uploads the match to YouTube very quickly, it's done within a minute.

Speed fixed, watch this one instead (same match):

YouTube - Frozen Synapse: BlackLabel vs. Nimster (-87890)

Also now in HD. You have to run the game in fullscreen mode, otherwise the playback speed will be all messed up. The old video will be deleted.

BTW, if you can't see what's happening, watch it in fullscreen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fun games, Peter. Did you see me slice the pie while you sat in that corner? ;)

I'm getting better at the game, it's fun. Sometimes the game is a bit unfair because it spawns you in an unfavourable position. And one time I killed a unit in preview mode with a grenade, but he survived the explosion during the outcome, even though he moved to the exact spot I expected him to be.

Also, stay away from VexVexing. He must be playing a lot because he wins every match. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw what you did, and I don't understand how the hell my guy couldn't kill you when you came through the door. :p

I thought I was going to be doing pretty well after my first game ... I absolutely crushed some guy, and was like, 'wow, this is pretty easy ... ' I learned the error of my ways quite swiftly.

I do love how light this is on the GFX requirements, too. I can play it on the Eee and not have to fire up the big machine.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw what you did, and I don't understand how the hell my guy couldn't kill you when you came through the door. :p

Shotguns. They're absolutely devastating at close range. I think they're able to kill every unit in the game from up close, except other shotgun units.

For me it really helps to play in fullscreen and zoom in (mousewheel). That way you can make more precise movements. Assigning waypoints to enemy units can really help too if you've got an idea of what the other player is going to do. And if you press Q twice, you'll zoom out.

It's very satisfying if the other player does exactly what you expected him to do, and then you make a plan that turns out to be perfect.

Upvote 0
I played a pair of games the other day against this one dude. Really roughed him up good and solid ... took 3/4's of his guys on the first turn in both games, because he did exactly what I projected he'd do. First game his last guy made it to turn 3, second time he made it to turn 4 with the last guy.

Loads of fun.

BUT I do have to say that I think it's a little overpriced. The second copy for a friend is a gimmick - I suspect that only maybe 20-30%, at most, will do this.

Upvote 0
So did anybody else get the game?

I want to but not for the price even with the discount. Technically the game looks no more advanced than an iPhone/iTouch game which typically cost from 1 to 5 bucks. $26.99 for two copies is a lot to ask for a game from a developer with no clout when you can get state of the art pc games daily for alot less from Steam and D2D. If the gameplay is really worth the money they should release a demo first.

Upvote 0
Kaner, maybe you can still get a free license from someone? Or you can split the cost with someone who wants the game as well.

BUT I do have to say that I think it's a little overpriced. The second copy for a friend is a gimmick - I suspect that only maybe 20-30%, at most, will do this.

Yeah, good point. If I were the Mode 7 devs I'd drop the price down to €9,50 soon. I think the total amount of sales would double or even triple, making the free-copy-for-a-friend thing unnecessary. I received a free license, but if that didn't happen I definitely would have bought the game for half its current price.

Currently I have a streak of about 5 wins, it's fun. I really believe this is one of the best games of 2010.

Upvote 0
Kaner, maybe you can still get a free license from someone?

Peter was kind enough to give me his extra copy. Thanks again man!

Played the tutorial, one sp game, and about 5mp games, one of which I won lol. Very fun so far. It's a little glitchy but of course its a beta so no biggie. Gameplay is addictive and there are a good amount of options. Still think the price should be lowered considering its not a technical marvel but the gameplay is very solid as of my brief play time.

Upvote 0