• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Freeze Tag Objective mode from MOHAA

Don Draper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne Australia
I was deleting files on my PC and came across MOHAA and decided to put it on..

WOW.. it feels old, after playing RO2 you forgot that it has no iron sights, no prone, and dont know how i played it really,,,,but the lean did feel a bit better.. sry.

There where even servers still operating! no one was on any where i am...maybe there are still a few dedicated players around.

Anyway, it reminded me of the mode i used to play all the time and loved.

Freeze Tag Objective.

And thought it would be a good idea for RO2 if someone would do it.

For those who dont know, When you get killed your frozen. And a teammate has to unfreeze you so you respawn.

In MOHAA you would glow red when frozen and your teammate would shoot a beam at you to unfreeze. In RO2 that would have to not be visiable. But the fact that a player is being unfrozen would be known by the enemy, basically no BEAM.

Im not sure how it would play out, but i think it would make the game very interesting, people would stop wasting tickets so much, which can be a problem. And the ebb and flow of the battle would alter more rather than a single spawn on a timer. Also i think players would want to play more team orientated... wait for everyone to be unfrozen, organise the assault and go for it...then unfreeze everyone in the cap ready for the next assault.

I would like to see it.
Maybe combined with firefight it would make that more popular?

It does take away from the realism side of things a little though, prehaps just dont have the highlighting... but it think the highlighting is important to have...just not the laser beam from your head when you do it...otherwise there would be no chance of unfreezing...maybe just a small marker showing the general area the unfreezing is coming from.

Also experience points for unfreezing.

Here is a image from MOHAA:
eGFuZTIxMTI=_o_virka-et-akira-en-rifle-only-sur-medal-of-honor-.jpg

Thoughts?

EDIT:
I just watched this..this is how it works.
Medal of Honor: Multiplayer Objective Freeze-Tag The Hunt - YouTube

Also, for some reason i remember having a beam to unfreeze..i dont think there was one.. been like 7 years since i had played it though.

Last edited:
Wow. That brings back memories. Although I remember being able to see the beam unfreezing people and using it to locate them. I'm a bit fuzzy though, I remember just having to freeze the entire other team, was there an objective too?

I don't see a problem with it in RO2, it is what it is, it's just for fun.

Speaking of MOHAA fun, remember the bazooka only, low gravity servers? Hilarious. :D

Upvote 0
Wow. That brings back memories. Although I remember being able to see the beam unfreezing people and using it to locate them. I'm a bit fuzzy though, I remember just having to freeze the entire other team, was there an objective too?

I don't see a problem with it in RO2, it is what it is, it's just for fun.

Speaking of MOHAA fun, remember the bazooka only, low gravity servers? Hilarious. :D

I remember a beam to for some reason? maybe it is the mode that are playing.

Yeh the objectives, i know you had to blow the cannon up near the church on "The Hunt" and V2 Rockets..you had to blow up the rockets...and get into the control tower i think... and the rest..

I think this would be a great mod, i would do it if i knew how! I see Capture the flag, Freeze tag over the current objective mode which got rid of Tickets would be fun...
Because you could win early simply by killing every enemey in the field at any given time. But you can also know that in a situation when tickets are low but you could still win, with freeze tag you can always have a chance to win which is traded off by the chance to be completely wiped out at any given time.

Upvote 0
I am working to complete this mod as we speak following a conversation with Don.

My current version extends the Firefight game mode as FreezeTag is usually just an extension of team death match. To this end, this mod will only work with FF maps (at least to start with). I don't really see how it would work well with TE mode....

I don't know how many FF maps exist right now. I'm hoping there are quite a few small/medium size FF custom maps out there or I'll probably have to re-think this.

Perhaps someone who is experienced in FreezeTag could make a good case for how this could potentially work with Terriotory?

The main problem I am having with getting this test ready for online play is the RefShaderCache problem which I have no solution for. If my materials don't compile when the client loads up, the materials do not get applied to the iceberg meshes which makes them almost impossible to see :(

They should look sort of like this:
frozenindicators.jpg

Even TWI Swag hasn't managed to come up with a solution to this issue. Surely other modders have been using there own materials and getting them to load up ok??

Upvote 0
Thanks for having a look at this LordGleedo.
As for FF V Territory,
When i used to play in MOHAA it was objective based freeze tag, which i think is better than death match freeze tag, because you have something you have to attack and defend, for me it gives the game direction and purpose. In MOHAA it was attaching a Bomb usually.

Thing is there was only one objective usually. And that would probably be the problem with Territory mode having multiple objectives.
Although i would be interested to see how it played out, and i feel it could work.

It might even ultimately be best to have a objective map built for freeztage where say an engineer has to destroy a tank or something, or renovate a current map, take spartnovka, get rid of the territory and put a parked tank out the front of the Russian main building that needs to be blown up by an engineer, or something like that.
Hope you can work out those bugs, thanks again.
Obviously it is easier for me to think of these things than actully do them.

Upvote 0
Thanks lordgleedo, I also apperciate you doing this :)

Ah Allied Assault, still makes me nostalgic. If you think the game having full servers is weird, up until 2012 (last time I checked) there was a still a following for the demo version of the game. I still have dreams I'm in different twisted versions of the Malta map to this day.

Hell I checked like 8-9 months ago and was still able to find a handfull of spearhead servers going. Damn it now I need to reinstall it.....

Upvote 0
Well the first very early round of testing took place this evening, as in, does freezing and thawing of Human players work (as ive only tested with bots so far).

Bot AI is not yet "aware" of frozen team mates yet, but I'm not bothered to much about that - will get around to coding that as a "Nice to have" feature.

You can stand next to team mate to thaw them with your body heat.

You can aim down sights and press [USE] key to thaw frozen team mate from a distance.

Frozen team mates do appear as snow flakes on the large tactical map, but don't yet appear on the compass (will fix that next i hope).

Want to get some sounds working for when you are froze and when you are thawed.

I have noticed that a crash dump file gets created on the server when I disconnect, but it does not take the server down. Need to investigate what is causing that.

Will hopefully have an open server up soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am starting to think that perhaps this could work for TE mode....

Don, the FreezeTag Object Mode you mentioned in the OP, I take it that was a proper objective based game type and not just FT built on TDM?

Once I get the majority of bugs ironed out for this version built on FireFight, I will probably do a TE version if there is enough interest.

Maybe a version for RS?

Couple of Questions
1) For the current version, should you be able to spectate in-play team mates when you are frozen? At the moment I allow your frozen pawn to rotate, just not move, but there is no spectate when frozen yet.

2) Should I put in an "auto thaw" option so a frozen player can still thaw after a preset amount of time?

3) Should this version (based on FireFight) respect the FF round end rules or should a round only be won when the entire enemy team is frozen as most other FT games would?

4) If the round end time is met and sudden death kicks in, should frozen team mates stay frozen in game (with team spectate ability if implemented), or should frozen team mates be killed off and be allowed to spectate their team until a next kill is made (then round restart).

5) At the moment you can see frozen team mates on the tactical map as snow flakes. Is it important to have them on the compass too. I did have HUD indicators in so you can see on screen the approximate location of a frozen team mate, but I think that takes away from the tactical side of RO so I commented out that (for now).

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am starting to think that perhaps this could work for TE mode....

Don, the FreezeTag Object Mode you mentioned in the OP, I take it that was a proper objective based game type and not just FT built on TDM?

All objective based freeze tag, The hunt map for instance had you putting explosives on the Artillery gun with freeze tag, the other V2 rockets there where 2 objectives with freeze tag.
Im not sure how well territory would play out as it is not the same as objective exactly, not to dis-similar though, but for me it was a great format.

Once I get the majority of bugs ironed out for this version built on FireFight, I will probably do a TE version if there is enough interest.
There is not a huge FF crowd, and coming from Teritory to Freezetag territory will probably be more popular. Then again Freeze tag might be exactly what FF needs, i think it would be much better with each player getting 3 unfreeze lifes as a mode, would build tension as lives go.

Maybe a version for RS?

I would be OK with that, i would be grateful for any format.

Couple of Questions
1) For the current version, should you be able to spectate in-play team mates when you are frozen? At the moment I allow your frozen pawn to rotate, just not move, but there is no spectate when frozen yet.
I think you need to be able to follow other players, it could be long waits sometimes if you are frozen in the middle of no where.

2) Should I put in an "auto thaw" option so a frozen player can still thaw after a preset amount of time?

With MOHAA this was never needed as because maps where reasonably small.
Im kind of against it because often if someone was frozen they use chat to ask for a rescue and people go off to unfreeze them, yet if there is lower player numbers it maybe needed.
It would have to be a fair amount of time though, maybe 6 minutes?
Try it without first and see if there are many frozen players idle for over 5minutes and how often it happens.

3) Should this version (based on FireFight) respect the FF round end rules or should a round only be won when the entire enemy team is frozen as most other FT games would?

I think it should be 3 - 5 unfreezes per player, and maybe 7-8 per assualt class. so winning conditions are that they run out of chances to be unfrozen OR unless you freeze the whole other side completely.

4) If the round end time is met and sudden death kicks in, should frozen team mates stay frozen in game (with team spectate ability if implemented), or should frozen team mates be killed off and be allowed to spectate their team until a next kill is made (then round restart).
the later, Killed off and spectate.

5) At the moment you can see frozen team mates on the tactical map as snow flakes. Is it important to have them on the compass too. I did have HUD indicators in so you can see on screen the approximate location of a frozen team mate, but I think that takes away from the tactical side of RO so I commented out that (for now).

I dont think it is needed for the compass, i dont use it anyway, and some people run de-clutter hud mod which gets rid of it, not important really.
For me, even mini map is a bit far. I like the Fog of war, that said it will depend on the final highlighting of the frozen player and there visibility.

Upvote 0
Couple of Questions

Yes, spectate please.

Hmm, if I remember correctly, in MOHAA, once frozen, you stayed frozen until thawed or the round ended. As Don said, the maps were smaller, so you usually could be unfrozen without too much difficulty. I'd say "no" to start with and see how it works with bigger maps.

I prefer it a battle to the frozen death instead of whoever gets frozen the most. It provided some great moments when the last guy on your side could make it to a good location (church tower!) and be able to unfreeze a few teammates. It forces communication along the lines of CTF, some players have to hang back and cover the already frozen while others go off and hunt.

Killed off.

Map only is fine.

Upvote 0