• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Freeaim sharpshooters.

kabex said:
Yeah, I wish there an "in-between" aiming system, not from the hip and not from iron sights, as you said- shouldering. Looking just above the iron sights, it would give you a far greater line of sight with in-between accuracy from iron sight to hipped.
I agree; perhaps something that would not be done manually with a key, but that would happen automatically e.g. when standing still or walking crouched. It could work? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
breadtruck said:
Admins yell at me when I smg. "Breadtruck dont RNG" (RNG, which I found out means run and gun). All cause I was walking around clearing the hills of Baskan, lol.

I think this is stupid. If its not an exploit and its in the game, you shouldn't have to stop yourself from doing it. It seems pointless to put such subjective rules like no running and gunning on a game, especially since clan members and admins look the other way when one another break the rules.

Oh well. Admins like to ***** when they get owned.

Upvote 0
Zath said:
I agree; perhaps something that would not be done manually with a key, but that would happen automatically e.g. when standing still or walking crouched. It could work? :)

so then you can just mark the middle of your screen and then it turns into CS??? That sounds a lot like CS's aiming system.

How exactly would you prevent this from being exploited and stop riflemen from becoming strafing death machines?

Upvote 0
SirNooblet said:
so then you can just mark the middle of your screen and then it turns into CS??? That sounds a lot like CS's aiming system.

How exactly would you prevent this from being exploited and stop riflemen from becoming strafing death machines?
because you would have to stop/move slow to do it (perhaps some delay from running to stopping when transitioning from hip shooting)
and no it wouldn't be in the middle, just have slightly smaller free aim. It would be used more for stability

Vote for shouldering!! :D

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Shouldered could still have the same "free aim" area the only difference would be that it would be easier to see where the barrel was pointing within that area (it takes lots of practice to know where it is pointing from the hipping perspective).
Yep.

Also, I regret saying this but RO:OST suffers from "more realistic than real life" syndrome in these regards, even though the developer's mantra was: "if it's easy to do IRL, it should be easy to do in the game".

Except it's not.

Upvote 0
I think that this suggestion is unnecessary for 2 reasons.

First of all, the gun does become more accurate when standing still. Try shooting on the run, it seems like the bullets go all over. Then stand still and shoot straight ahead.

Secondly, CSS aiming system works so that the cone fo fire gets smaller when you slow down or stop, and then zeros in on the middle of the screen when completely still. So does DoD. When you play those games, you see that the most used technique then becomes strafe and shoot. This is not what RO is going for. RO uses lean and shoot, or prone and shoot, which is 15x more realistic than strafe and shoot. Real riflemen dont run out and take a shot and then run back. They get cover, take aim, and pop off a shot.

So this suggestion, though I thought it sounded good at first, really isn't apt for the game.

Upvote 0
The thing is: in real combat there are more than 2 ways to shoot, from hip or from iron sight. There's also "shoulder shooting" which is inbetween these two, where you have accuracy at short range but also a large Line of Sight, unlike in iron sight where your LOS is very limited and you accuracy very high.

Get it?

Upvote 0
kabex said:
There will STILL be freeaim! Imagine "shouldering" to be iron sights, but from a view from above, and with freeaim.

yeah but the cone of fire you are reducing this to could be legitimately represented by a marked screen, even if the cone is larger than just the center of the screen. What I mean is that it comes close enough to centering that a marked screen would be a legitimate way to gain an advantage.

If the cone is liek ( )

and you mark ( . )

If you center that on mass, you'll hit at decent ranges.

Upvote 0
SirNooblet said:
yeah but the cone of fire you are reducing this to could be legitimately represented by a marked screen, even if the cone is larger than just the center of the screen. What I mean is that it comes close enough to centering that a marked screen would be a legitimate way to gain an advantage.

If the cone is liek ( )

and you mark ( . )

If you center that on mass, you'll hit at decent ranges.
What you say is true but this "freeaim box" is going to be big, as big as the normal one. The advantage is that you'll have a closer look of the barrel and less recoil because of "shouldering" the gun.

Pick up a real rifle and see for yourself.
edit: the recoil on the smg's is incredibly stupid when standing up and aiming down the sights, I'll be standing with a ppd for example, fire a SINGLE SHOT and the entire gun goes upwards. I get less kick from a K98! What the?

I really hate this, just screwed with me for an entire map.

Upvote 0
Buzz_Litebeer said:
The best gun in the game tends to be the STG44 which acts rifleish at range and now is good at close range as well when hipping.

The STG44 IS a rifle, not an MG...its a fantastic gun if your lucky enough to choose it.

I dont think hip shooting is too much of a problem in RO, sometimes you have to empty a lot of your magazine to hit someone at close range with a ppsh for example. The recoil and cone of fire work well when hip shooting so that ADS is defo more of an advantage.

Upvote 0