• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Freeaim in IS

If you would've suggested this a year and a half ago, I might have said yes. But it's too late now. Support for Ostfront by Tripwire is nearing its end, and people would have to get used to the aiming all over it again. It would almost be like a different game. Besides, the aiming system works fine at the moment. Not worth implementing.

Maybe for the new TW game, who knows.

The only way I could approve of this is if they make it in a VERY subtle way, like in Call of Duty (that's not true freeaim in IS though, the gun simply lags a little behind schedule).

Upvote 0
Yeah, a small bit would be great. Not a whopping ArmA style one where you have to move the gun to the edge of the, just a little bit.

I agree on that as well as long as RO: O has a little freeaim in IS I'd be very happy :) but since 2008 is nearly here it's not too late to consider it in their next project.

Another thing is couldn't modders be up to the job of doing it while TW make way for their next game ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would really love it. If you now the MoveIn!-Mod for Halflife1, they made it right. First the gun moves to the side and then your view is "pulled" after it to the side, so the gun is centered again after a little time... It feels so much more realistic then a static gun that doesn't move at all...

Upvote 0
I think TW should open their forum for the "new game" so we can start the suggestion bombardment before it's too late :D

Not a bad idea at all. But until they announce their new game with its own website and forums, we will have to make due here. :p

First the gun moves to the side and then your view is "pulled" after it to the side, so the gun is centered again after a little time... It feels so much more realistic then a static gun that doesn't move at all...

Exactly, even if a free aim IS wasn't created, they could at least put in a simple sway feature so it doesn't look like your weapon is super-glued to your camera.

Upvote 0
;) This is EXACTLY what RO needs!!!

The pop up pinpoint IS for all the weapons always takes the firefight out of RO.

:confused: Its easier to aim in the first second then it is a couple seconds later (when a real proper shot would be the most stable.) So the best most accurate shots are fired withen the first seconds. "this is unrealistic.":mad:

We all wanted a THIRD Stance "shouldering a weapon" aka Freeaim IS:rolleyes:

Lastly even if a little Free aim in Ironsite is added it would make the IS feel more realistic :cool: Call of dutys Ironsite worked great with a touch of freeaim.

:eek:LETS PLEASE GET RID OF THE UNREALISTIC FIXED IRONSITE ITS NOT REAL AIMING!.:eek:

I love these faces :):p:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm gonna quote myself from ages ago.

IS free aim however I don't like, why? Well because when you aim a weapon you lock it into your shoulder with your cheek against the stock in a firing stance. The sights are lined up by virtue of holding the weapon this way, the idea being that your head is locked to the weapon, it is also why from a proper shouldered position unaimed shots will hit roughly around the center of your field of vision. Shifting the weapon around you always keep your cheek locked to it and thus your field of view moves with the weapon. In actuality swinging your point of aim from left to right is done twisting your torso. In Inf free aim in IS has the weapon moving around inside your field of view with the sights lined up, it just doesn't happen this way in the real world when you are assuming a proper firing stance. I'd prefer my virtual soldier in RO to do it the right way, or at least have the choice to have my head locked to the weapon as it's meant to be while aiming.

As far as I'm concerned that's it right there, I have years of experience shooting rifles and free aim in iron sights is just not realistic. It may technically simulate being able to look over your gun but visually just looks dead wrong in the process. I'm much more in favour of an extra transitory state of aiming that would have a free moving weapon and no iron sights, like a shouldered stance.

Upvote 0