• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Free Public Killing Floor 2 Redirect Server

A huge thank you to Skillz for sharing this! :D Any way we can donate for your generosity?

I don't mean to sound cheeky but is there any chance of adding the latest versions of kf-subcentral & kf-pckoutpost (in lower case) to your server?

My site has a donation button (paypal)

Signing up on the forums and making a post will give you access to the FTP login information so you can upload the files.

Kudos to you, sir. What kind of up/downstream is available to this server?

1Gpbs up/down. Server's location is on the East Coast of the USA. Speeds will vary depending on geographic location.

Upvote 0
Again Thanks Skillz!

If anyone has any questions I managed to get everything working on my server using his redirect. I can possibly post a guide with pictures on what I needed to do as I had some issues initially as well. Mostly its making sure you have the files in the right place and making sure all of the spelling matches in the 3 or so places it matters.

Upvote 0
A huge thank you to Skillz for sharing this! :D Any way we can donate for your generosity?

I don't mean to sound cheeky but is there any chance of adding the latest versions of kf-subcentral & kf-pckoutpost (in lower case) to your server?

As he said before he doesn't host killing floor 2, but I've just gone and updated those maps.

edit: there's lots of duplicate same size map files with only the caps being different. Can we agree to just have map names lower-cased? Don't worry I haven't touched them so as to not screw up other servers but just a thought to keep it tidy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks for the reply Skillz.

killmeebaby, thanks for adding the maps before I even got chance! I agree, I'm sure I read this was a Linux based server so I was under the impression that the maps hosted on there needed to be in lowercase, correct me if I'm wrong? But people seem to be adding mixed capitalisation maps onto it for some reason?

Edit: now the updated kf-pckoutpost is on the redirect server I've just given it a try, I'm getting an error loading it as it's returning the message 'Downloading package FX_Pckoutpost failed: Error opening file'. The older version worked fine for me. Anyone else having the same trouble redirecting to this map? Looks to me like it's because there's 2 instances of fx_pckoutpost on the server, an older one with caps and one without and it's reading the one with caps over the correctly associated lower case one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm about to delete the older version of pckoutpost to see if this resolves it, I've essentially read on Skillz's forum from himself that old versions of maps have no place overriding newer ones his server anyway so I hope I'm doing no wrong. :cool:

Edit: The redirect server is a lot more tidier now with less out-dated & duplicate maps. Unfortunately I still can't get kf-pckoutpost working. Rest of the maps I'm redirecting are working fine and I believe I've got it all set up on my end correctly so it might be an issue with the map itself and how it interacts with the other (snd/lights/ect.kfm) files that comprise the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do not delete files.

Overwriting them is fine if prompted for newer versions of whatever file it is. The server is case sensitive so if someone has a file with mixed cases on their server then they'll be missing the file on the redirect.

The amount of maps/files on the redirect server has no effect on it's performance or the ability to pull the maps off the server.

As you can see here;
[Fri May 01 11:48:08 2015] [error] [client x.x.x.x] File does not exist: /kf2-redirect/KF-Pckoutpost.kfm
[Fri May 01 11:47:46 2015] [error] [client x.x.x.x] File does not exist: /kf2-redirect/KF-Pckoutpost.kfm

Someone is requesting KF-Pckoutpost.kfm from the redirect, but since it's not there they're getting a 404 File Not Found Error. While the file kf-pckoutpost.kfm does exist the web server doesn't know any better to send that file instead.

So please, do not physically delete anything. Just overwrite them with the newer/latest versions.

It would be a million times easier if all the files were created using lower case ONLY, but that's never been the case. Ever. Just take a look at the first redirect, http://www.skillzservers.com/kf-redirect/ and you'll see it looks like a cluster [you know what] but it still works just as good.

EDIT
One last thing. Do not change the case of any of the files. Leave it the way the author created it. If everyone starts changing caps intentionally then we'll end up with even more duplicate files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

No problem.

It also really helps when authors put version numbers in their map/mod names. Something like KF-MyMap-V1-BETA or similar so every time they update it, it's easier for server admins to know if they've got the latest version or not. It also cuts down on file mismatches. I'm not sure how KF2 handles version mismatches (what error it will say), but I imagine it will become a problem when people aren't sure which file is the newest.

Upvote 0
Hopefully I aren't blocked from the ftp access due to deleting the odd older version of a map as I honestly meant no harm from it - I do apologise for any harm caused.

Regarding the use of lower-case, I was only suggesting it as Tripwire are informing us to do so and I presumed you were following suit or is yours not Linux based? When I tried using your redirect server with a capitalised version of a map it wouldn't work but as soon as I accessed a lower-case variant from your server it worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
You're not blocked.

Hopefully I aren't blocked from the ftp access due to deleting the odd older version of a map as I honestly meant no harm from it - I do apologise for any harm caused.

Regarding the use of lower-case, I was only suggesting it as Tripwire are informing us to do so and I presumed you were following suit or is yours not Linux based? When I tried using your redirect server with a capitalised version of a map it wouldn't work but as soon as I accessed a lower-case variant from your server it worked perfectly.

Well according to the log; KF2 does look for file types with capitalized letters as shown above. Also here:

Line 75: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [01/May/2015:08:22:46 -0400] "GET /kf2-redirect/KF-Urban.kfm HTTP/1.1" 200 1338701 "-" "UE3-KF"

So the engine doesn't look for lower case only files on a redirect.

EDIT
Also here is a client fetching a file not found on the redirect that has upper case letters.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [01/May/2015:08:26:43 -0400] "GET /kf2-redirect/KF-Bmanaha.kfm HTTP/1.1" 404 14 "-" "UE3-KF"

Notice the 404 Error.

Here is the full line from the missing file in my last post.

Line 2120: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [01/May/2015:11:48:08 -0400] "GET /kf2-redirect/KF-Pckoutpost.kfm HTTP/1.1" 404 14 "-" "UE3-KF"

Just to confirm that it was the KF2 client fetching the file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Again,

For anyone looking to use this redirect I setup a small guide with pastebins of the ini files you need to change and pictures so hopefully its basically idiot proof.

After following the setup instructions here:
http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com..._Server_(Killing_Floor_2)#Setting_Up_Redirect

You will need to get the maps you want (Easiest way is to just DL them off the redirect especially if you have no FTP access)
http://skillzservers.com/kf2-redirect/

After that you will need to edit the PCServer-KFGame.ini and the PCServer-KFEngine.ini, these files can be found here *Wherever you installed your KF2 server in the previous step*\kf2server\KFGame\Config

http://pastebin.com/Qihi6B1W

http://pastebin.com/NzQJN1QJ

These are my files but you basically just need to edit them and add the following: near the bottom

PCServer-KFGame.ini -
Code:
[kf-yeytler KFMapSummary]
MapName=kf-yeytler
ScreenshotPathName=UI_MapPreview_TEX.UI_MapPreview_Placeholder

[kf-pckoutpost KFMapSummary]
MapName=kf-pckoutpost

[kf-n64goldeneye_facilityv3 KFMapSummary]
MapName=kf-n64goldeneye_facilityv3

[KF-Default KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-Default

[kf-n64stack_goldeneye KFMapSummary]
MapName=kf-n64stack_goldeneye

[kf-epsiloncourtyard2 KFMapSummary]
MapName=kf-epsiloncourtyard2

[kf-testingmap KFMapSummary]
MapName=kf-testingmap

PCServer-KFEngine.ini -
Change this bit
Code:
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=

to
Code:
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://skillzservers.com/kf2-redirect/

Your KF2 server folder structure should look like the following series of pictures (Basically the .kfm map files need to end up here *Wherever you installed your KF2 server in the first step*\kf2server\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps)

http://imgur.com/a/7iqdu

In the last 3 pictures take note that the file names are all the same (and in this instance ALL LOWERCASE) if those don't match up not every map will redirect correctly. Some did when I was testing this but most did not.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Upvote 0